• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How well does Metropolis grade?

146 posts in this topic

I thought so too, FF (spelling and grammar), but ablue started a thread maybe a month ago about Gerry Ross, and told of one his dealings with the "Comic Master". He got screwed.

I really don't have a problem with ablue. Like I said, he seems nice enough. But all his threads seem to circle back to him owning "Cleaned and Pressed" book(s). I think that's why we all jump on him so quickly. The book is restored according to CGC. Whether or not that makes the book "less valuable" is for collectors to decide. Personally, I wish I had a Batman #3. Restored or otherwise.

It just gets tiresome when every thread cycles back to, basically, "What's wrong with my restored book?" And, I'm sure you've noticed, at night this board is alot more confrontational than during the day. (Everybody is looking for a good scrap after Happy Hour! smile.gif )

Chris

Metropolis grades like !!!

-Marvel 2-in-1 #20 VF+ (advertised 9.8)

-TOD #14 VF+ (advertised 9.4)

-TOD #16 VF+ (advertised 9.4)

-TOD #18 VF- (advertised 9.4)

-TOD #19 VF+ (advertised 9.4)

-TOD #20 VF- (advertised 9.4)

I kept MTU #19, TOD #'s 15 & #17 all NM- and advertised as 9.4 which wasn't bad.

Never again! mad.gif

Naw, but I did see some left over mold! shocked.gif The VF's also had some bad spine breaks. The flaws were all over the board; spine breaks, edge wear, blunted corners, creases, and the list goes on. 9.4? confused.gif 9.8? confused.gif HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Bummer Ricky. frown.gif Well, the low grade golden age book I bought from the Devil's Butter Coll...uh, I mean Devil's Lake Collection should be graded tightly since we all know the industry grading standard for gold is so much stricter than bronze/modern. Stay tuned! wink.gif

Yes, the dealer standard is definitely more "strict" as books get older due to value. Just like some posters have stated in this thread...Metropolis' grading tends to improve as the book's value increases. We all know that my MTU is nothing compared to their $2000 holy grails, so they tend to grade "my kind" of books with less care. frown.gif

It's not just you, man. At times I've had some books from them that I agree with the grades on - but I've also had "what were they thinking, calling this a F? (when it was at best a water-damaged G in my book, what with nearly ALL the back cover ink washed away! shocked.gif)

And that was pre-code horror. Make no mistake, they have an UNBELIEVABLE stock of books, and naturally, many of them are superb. But at times I've had issues with their grading consistency. No big sweat - just return it, as is your option, in enough time.

I have bought books from Metropolis and felt their grading was rather good. I find it quite impossible to believe your claim that so many books were overgraded. Where are the scans? Where are the scans? From now on, posters should not make grading claims without backing up with scans.

I have found that when I am buying books from other collectors who are so strict when they are buying just throw all standards out the window when it comes to selling.

I have also found that there is sometimes a race between collectors to see who is the strictest grader. "you cant grade a book a 9.4 with off-center staples" "9.2 with a date stamp? Never" It all seems to be an attempt to impress others. From my experience, these collectors do not grade like this, they just want you to think they grade like this.

Sorry buddy. If you saw the scans you would laugh. I don't feel like I have to compete with anybody here. For what? Maybe you feel that way because your [!@#%^&^] is small, but I sure don't.

I have 150 CGC comic books sitting in my closet so don't lecture me you dimwit. mad.gif