• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Anybody ever seen one of these:

ticktestissue001.jpg

with letter from NEC

ticktestissue002.jpg

It is an ashcan. I had 1 graded years ago. I can't remember the specific print run but I know it is less than 500 copies. Give me a day or 2 to find my notes.

So the full-size version of this is pretty common I take it?

There is only 1 version and it is magazine size. Ashcan are not always mini-comics.

Also this comics is for sale on the Tick website. ]Tick Black & Red Promo

Thanks for clarifying that for me, I thought ashcan was exclusive to 'mini comic'. I have this comic, and wanted to know if there were two versions of it, I guess not. :)

The Spiderman #1 Gold UPC shouldn't exist at all...it is a "freak", caught between the normal practices of the past, and the new realities of comics in the 90's.

Spider-Man #1 Gold is the second printing of the book, printed because the first printings sold out at the distributor level. Because second printings (as opposed to reprints) weren't common at the time, and since "reprints" had historically been sold through alternative distribution channels like department stores (the most recent examples being the "multi-pack" DC reprints of various late 80's Superman and Batman books), there really was no mechanism in place to handle a "second printing" for newsstand distribution. Up to that point (including books like Dark Knight #1-3, Green Arrow: Long Bow Hunters #1, Ghost Rider #1, Killing Joke), second printings were printed for and sold to the direct market only. Partly because of the peculiarities of the newsstand market (there was no such thing as "re-orders" for that market, and most books arrived 2-3 weeks AFTER the direct market copies) and partly because it was assumed there would be no interest in second or later printings at the newsstand level, such books simply didn't exist.

What can be gleaned is that the second print/UPC code book was printed "by special request" (they weren't requesting a special variant, just more copies to sell) from Wal-Mart, which had sold a boatload of the first printings themselves.

Since Wal-Mart was a "newsstand" distribution channel, all comics they ordered would have to have a UPC code, and since there weren't any newsstand copies of the first printing left, the hybrid second print/UPC book was born. Since Spiderman #1 Gold was ALSO a hit, Marvel continued to use the "gold second printing" device for a couple of years, at which point print runs had become so immense, second printings were no longer necessary, and after that the Crash, and second printings were REALLY no longer necessary. It is likely the first, last, and only time in history that there was a "newsstand" version for a second printing variant.

It is assumed, but not proven, that these were printed by special order from Wal-Mart because the only known sources for these books were Wal-Mart.

By the by....if ANYONE has proof of "newsstand variants" (that is, copies with UPC codes) of later printings on ANY comic book, it would be warmly welcomed...particularly for books like Killing Joke or any of the other Marvel second printings.

When I was first reading comics and this book came out, those Gold UPC versions could be had at a grocery store called Publix here in FL. I remember wanting the silver bagged version so much that when my mom pointed these out to me I was not interested. They were sealed in 3-pack bundles if I'm not mistaken, and I'm bummed I was such a little mess that made my mom buy me the silver version which is way less valuable than what she paid for it in the day. :sorry: mom

How about the "Marvel Unlimited" Daredevil Newsstand versions of 16-25?

Even if they didn't specify "second printing" I don't understand why Marvel would go to the trouble to change the plates just for newsstand distribution.

I have 2. One impossible, and the other driving me crazy trying to find. X-men 302 no UPC, and the wretched GI Joe Blackthorne 3D #2.... Never mind, the 3-D is from '87. Still sucks , though.

How about prophet volume 2 number one platt variant newstand non chromium version. :insane:

I didnt even think it existed but i found one recently.

How about prophet volume 2 number one platt variant newstand non chromium version. :insane:

I didnt even think it existed but i found one recently.

Now, say that fast three times! :grin:

Another rare book is the Green Hornet hardcover reprinting the first 12 issues of the NOW Comics series -- volume 1. I talked with Tony Caputo and he said the book was so rare that he didn't even see a copy. A year or so later, when I talked with him, he'd either bought a copy from eBay or someone sent him a copy.

We were discussing the Green Hornet hardcover as we talked about how rare the Ralph Snart hardcover is in comparison ... only 300 printed of that one, but it was printed in 2004, so it doesn't qualify for this thread or this forum. If I remember correctly, Tony told me there may be less than 200 of those Green Hornet hardcovers.

greenhornethc.jpg

I had no idea this was so rare. I got mine direct from Mark Heike who penciled issue 11.

I also got the Snart HC with the sketch when it came out.

I think all the NOW trades might be really hard to find or in higher demand than you would expect. I see the Ralph Snart one for sale here and there, not as hard to find as some comics I've either tracked down or am still trying to, but when it does pop up it tends to go for a few bucks

(shrug)

cgwxacadiadiamondBsmall.jpg

Is that the glow in the dark version?

No, a promo given out at Diamond dealer expo just before the series release.

I've been told that only a few cases survived after a bad rain storm in Dallas.