• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

I exclusively collect rare comics and that is why I collect mostly golden age because most modern age comics are not truly rare but I was very lucky to find a copy of Miracle on Broadway which is a truly rare comic.

Here's my rule on "rare" comics:

If I have it, or if anyone I know has it... it's not rare.

(thumbs u

That's silly. I've added around 7 different Charlton comics to my collection that the experts and price guides had never listed or seen before. The only scans available online came from me.

Only 2 or 3 Red Foil "Valeria the She-Bat" (Continuity) variant comics have been confirmed online. My copy was acquired by a local retailer when he order hundreds upon hundreds of their comics on a reorder after it was pretty much established the market was already over-supplied.

"Splatterball" (Defiant) with the missing foil... only one person has claimed to having it.

If I went by your definition, absolutely nothing is rare. I used rarity as the focus of my collecting the past 5 years.

I like the Overstreet definition. If there are 30(I think?) or less known copies, it's classified as rare. Birth of the Defiant Universe.. not rare. Miracle on Broadway possibly. I lost track but I think around 12 have popped up.

Also keep in mind that Rozanski told me he sold his MOB for $1200. The collectors wanting it perceive it as rare.

DG

Edited by dgarthwaite

I exclusively collect rare comics and that is why I collect mostly golden age because most modern age comics are not truly rare but I was very lucky to find a copy of Miracle on Broadway which is a truly rare comic.

(thumbs u

hm

That's silly. I've added around 7 different Charlton comics to my collection that the experts and price guides had never listed or seen before.

A significant portion of my collection will not be in any price guide. Plenty of my comics have print runs in the low double digits. Not variants or printing errors either, total print run for the entire contents of the comic. Not many of them would interest anyone here, but if you want to collect nothing but comics with a print run of 30 or less you can make it happen.

(thumbs u

^^

8D2CB9ED-569B-45F3-AEAB-6955983A1C54-9267-000006966030D7EF.jpg

I like the Overstreet definition. If there are 30(I think?) or less known copies, it's classified as rare. Birth of the Defiant Universe.. not rare. Miracle on Broadway possibly. I lost track but I think around 12 have popped up.

Also keep in mind that Rozanski told me he sold his MOB for $1200. The collectors wanting it perceive it as rare.

DG

Chuck also sells Adventurers 1 for $35 in NM, when the rest of the world sell it for a couple of bucks at the most. (shrug)

Being super-rare is inversely proportionate to it's value and/or desirability.

The more rare something gets, the less likely buyers are to know of its existence and consequently the less demand and value it has.

There is clearly a convergence of rarity and notoriety that is required for a comic to fit into this loosely defined thread.

I have a comic that I wrote and drew when I was 12. It is 1 of a kind. Is it rare? Sure! It can't get any rarer. Is it desired or valuable? Not in the least.

Edited by sl4ppy

The more rare something gets, the less likely buyers are to know of its existence and consequently the less demand and value it has.

There is clearly a convergence of rarity and notoriety that is required for a comic to fit into this loosely defined thread.

I have a comic that I wrote and drew when I was 12. It is 1 of a kind. Is it rare? Sure! It can't get any rarer. Is it desired or valuable? Not in the least.

3..2...1...0BDAC97E-AC50-4473-8F3D-47EC45D5FCD4-7674-0000058F2017D6F2.jpg

By the same token, if you go on to produce s huge hit that turns into a blockbuster movie, that one rare comic could be in extremely high demand.

My first published work started in the December 97 issue of The Atlanta Sideshow Magazine. My last cartoon was published in I think 2000.

http://sideshow.fateback.com/Atlanta_Sideshow.html

Good Luck with finding that. I don't consider it rare because I have a whole bundle of about every issue with my art in it. Some of the other contributors wish they had copies.

DG

Desirability I think has something to do with my likelihood of posting it here, but desirability has little to do with rarity. If we went by that standard all we'd talk about is Action #1, which anyone with deep enough pockets could buy today. Threads like these I think are for those of us who are interested in learning what's out there besides ASM 300 and whatever other hot book people are clamoring over these days. I've found several rarities mentioned in this thread and others that I would like to track down now. Tracking down something that there isn't a hundred of on eBay right now is fun, even if it's not the first appearance of Deadpool.

Here are some tough to find Continuity Comics

A Sliver Foil Cyberrad V2 #1 takes a moderate bit of searching to find...

V2_001P_Cyberrad_535px.png

A Gold Foil Cyberrad V2 #1 is a little tough to find...

V2_001G_Cyberrad_Gold_535px.png

A newsstand version is much tougher, especially in nice shape.

V2_001ns_Cyberrad_535px-1.jpg

A Cyberrad Vol. 1 #5 (non-glow-in-the-dark) is tough.

V1_005a_Cyberrad_535px.jpg

A Diamond Distributor Cyberrad TPB is tough o find..

nn_Cyberrad_tpb_535px.jpg

An Armor #13 newsstand is tough to find

013a_Armor_535px.jpg

A white Valeria the She-Bat is a mederate effort to find.

001_Valeria_The_She_Bat_Diamond_Promo_535px.png

Add Gold Foil and it's tougher..

001_Valeria_Diamond_Gold.jpg

Add Red Foil, it's the toughest. Only 3 have popped up in collectors hands online.

001_Valeria_The_She_Bat_Diamond_Pro.jpg

Bucky O'Hare "Special Edition" variant..

001a_Bucky_OHare_535px.jpg

There are some others that are a challenge, but these are some of the toughest.

DG

I know I have at least two or three of those Continuity books. Definitely Gold Valeria and Silver CyberRad

And I have 3 nice copies of the Cyberrad #1 newsstand edition and also a nice copy of the #5. :)