• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 90's books.
7 7

1,246 posts in this topic

Well I can't match that...

But, as I mistakenly asked in the 80's thread earlier:

Anyone know what kind of print run Paul Pope's self published THB had?

Finding one in 9.4 and up seems a real chore, though we aren't concerned with that here...

Even the VF+'s go for $25-40 regular on eBay, which seems pretty healthy...

Haven't ever seen any discussion of it on here...

I know this post is old, but I finally found my scan of THB #1. Most of my scans are cropped so they can be placed into online cover galleries.

001_THB.jpg

If I recall, this is a very thick comic which would be hard to keep in nice shape.

I may have more than one, but my comics are in such disarray it would take months to find it if so.

I've also unearthed some scans of other Horse Press item.

Promo... (I think there's a pink one also that I don't own)

nn_promo_THB_zps34c8fd4e.png

Oversized

001_P_City_Parade_zps7491fe3a.png

Treasury-sized items... (stitched scans)

001_Buzz_Buzz_Comics_Magazine_zps6f191d57.png

nn_Giant_THB_Parade_zps4319eef6.png

I like Paul Pope's art, but I lost interest after he went to DC with a project.

DG

Found this one few months ago. Anyone got any info on it?

I realize not super hard to find, but I think there was a small set of these from DC at the time similiar to the Marvel CD issues like Hulk 26 and ASM 29? Any got the rest of the titles I may track them all down for kicks. First one I have ever seen like this one in my hands.

superboy2.jpg

Edited by Fastballspecial

Would love to see something like that in person.

I kind of miss having the book, and CGC seems to assign value to make-ready books, so I might have had something perceived by others as quite valuable.

I know how you feel. I have a book ... this (circa 2003, yes i know this is about the 90's, just as an example)

100_0782.jpg

And from time to time i have considered trading it .. but i know i would regret it for all eternity ... it's a book i'll never ever ever see again. it's that tough.

6635271_std.jpg

Last night, I dreamed I held you in my arms :cloud9:

Would love to see something like that in person.

I kind of miss having the book, and CGC seems to assign value to make-ready books, so I might have had something perceived by others as quite valuable.

I know how you feel. I have a book ... this (circa 2003, yes i know this is about the 90's, just as an example)

100_0782.jpg

And from time to time i have considered trading it .. but i know i would regret it for all eternity ... it's a book i'll never ever ever see again. it's that tough.

6635271_std.jpg

Last night, I dreamed I held you in my arms :cloud9:

How about the story how it was found?

I picked this up for a song. It has a couple of issues, and is about a F-/VG+, depending on who you ask. Looks NM at first glance. As cool and rare as it is, I'll probably dump it for $100 to concentrate on my Pressmans. If I don't sell it, it's a keeper! I've always loved that cover. 7539C8C3-5212-4D4F-A9FF-0E1B48005255-7205-0000052D945A7D99.jpg

Edited by Paper Airplane

I picked this up for a song. It has a couple of issues, and is about a F-/VG+, depending on who you ask. Looks NM at first glance. As cool and rare as it is, I'll probably dump it for $100 to concentrate on my Pressmans. If I don't sell it, it's a keeper! I've always loved that cover. 7539C8C3-5212-4D4F-A9FF-0E1B48005255-7205-0000052D945A7D99.jpg

Congrats Bill, out of all my rarer variants this is one I was unsure I could find as there were only 5 or so known at the time. You would have to pry this from my corpse as it is that rare. Shieldagent was the first to dig these out but I finally did finish my set last year when I found a copy of the Avengers 77 error. Don't let this go unless you find an upgrade.

I noticed that this issue along with the Avengers 77 error both have a lighter yellow price circle and no outline around the price. I am not sure if we ever figured out if these were regional printings or just a run of error copies that somehow got out of the printers. Shieldagent might have more and/or better info. This is a nice small but tough to find subset of modern price variants. Check out Shieldagent's gallery here- http://stlcomics.com/gallery/moddiscmarvel/

Congrats Bill, out of all my rarer variants this is one I was unsure I could find as there were only 5 or so known at the time. You would have to pry this from my corpse as it is that rare. Shieldagent was the first to dig these out but I finally did finish my set last year when I found a copy of the Avengers 77 error. Don't let this go unless you find an upgrade.

I noticed that this issue along with the Avengers 77 error both have a lighter yellow price circle and no outline around the price. I am not sure if we ever figured out if these were regional printings or just a run of error copies that somehow got out of the printers. Shieldagent might have more and/or better info. This is a nice small but tough to find subset of modern price variants. Check out Shieldagent's gallery here- http://stlcomics.com/gallery/moddiscmarvel/

Thanks Roger. I figured the 302 was more rare than this one? So there's still only a handful of these bad boys out there? Nice. I may keep it, or trade it for a 302, since that's my ultimate book (as you know.) What was also pretty cool was the lot came with 424, 425, 426, 427, 428 newsstand editions. Why were these so difficult to find?

Thanks Roger. I figured the 302 was more rare than this one? So there's still only a handful of these bad boys out there? Nice. I may keep it, or trade it for a 302, since that's my ultimate book (as you know.) What was also pretty cool was the lot came with 424, 425, 426, 427, 428 newsstand editions. Why were these so difficult to find?

newsstand is more rare than the 25 cent version, error is very rare.

I found mine in a lot of newsstand books also.

I know newsstand copies have traditionally been rarer than their direct edition counterparts, but why do they seem far more difficult to find around this time. Is the print run that much lower than the early 90's? Were they just trying to phase out newsstands?

There's no telling. I was going through a bunch of $1 boxes and found all kinds of oddball stuff.....Ford Fairlane #1, Alien Legion #1 (1st series), Legends of Nascar #2 and the Daytona Story which I think is the #1. Wound up grabbing about 30 books. Had modern stuff as well including the new X-factor.

I know newsstand copies have traditionally been rarer than their direct edition counterparts, but why do they seem far more difficult to find around this time. Is the print run that much lower than the early 90's? Were they just trying to phase out newsstands?

Newsstand issues are rarer because unsold copies are returned and destroyed. The ones that don't get bought within the first few hours started looking rough with spine creases as people flip through them on spinner racks. Newsstand comics dropped in sales when the direct market was born. Publisher made more money when the product wasn't returnable, so they quit promoting newsstand sales.

DG