• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cautionary Tale

50 posts in this topic

Someone walks into my shop yesterday and tells me this story.I knew the person so it is 100% true.

He proceeds to tell me how he bought ASM 2-20, "abunch of early ffs and Avengers"for 500 dollars.This stuff was all 9.0-9.6.A very serious collector who passed at 53.

Please let someone know what your books are worth.This person got 150k worth of books for 500 bucks.

My wife knows exactly what my books are worth...so does my daughter...if they sold them for $500 i'd probably come back as the undead and pay them a vist!

Seriously, I think it is important to document the value of your comics and if they are really worth some $ get them insured. That way everyone knows their perceived value.

Please let someone know what your books are worth.This person got 150k worth of books for 500 bucks.

I'll occasionally hear buyers tell me that they are keeping their collecting/buying habits on the low-down from their significant other. Regardless of how they take my advice, I always politely explain that it's bad for the relationship, and not wise exactly for the reasons and points raised in the story you shared.

I'll occasionally hear buyers tell me that they are keeping their collecting/buying habits on the low-down from their significant other. Regardless of how they take my advice, I always politely explain that it's bad for the relationship, and not wise exactly for the reasons and points raised in the story you shared.

This is so true! I've heard plenty of guys that I know who keep their purchases quiet from the wifey. For me, I am an open book with my wife about it. Like you said, it's better for the relationship and to prevent nightmares from happening like this OP. Of course if you are dead it won't really matter but at least your family can at least get what the books are worth.

My girlfriend definitely has a ballpark idea on what most of my books are worth. Plus, by going to shows, she's met quite a few board members. If something were to happen to me, she'd certainly come here and get some help from a few trusted board members before selling anything.

Boards. :cloud9:

Awesome Girlfriend :luhv:

My fiance isn't exactly thrilled with the cash I've tied up in my collection, and it's very tempting sometimes to not tell her about purchases... but if I couldn't comfortably share that kind of stuff with her, why even get married in the first place?

I've got all of my books on a Google docs spreadsheet, and she's got access to it. So unless I cheat or something and she sells everything out of spite, she'll be able to price fairly :wishluck:

my wife knows enough to know that those big clumsy overstreets she wants me to throw out have some information in them that will give her a ballpark estimate minus a 25-75% discount, of course.

Wowuch. That's the kind of stuff that is almost basically small a life insurance for his family.

My father has been ridiculously clear on all his life insurance policies to myself and my sisters, and before big trips always makes sure we know where to access that information so that we'll be taken care of.

Kinda what bothers me is that the guy buys them for that cheap and probably didn't even tell the family they were missing out on $145,000... :(

My girlfriend definitely has a ballpark idea on what most of my books are worth. Plus, by going to shows, she's met quite a few board members. If something were to happen to me, she'd certainly come here and get some help from a few trusted board members before selling anything.

Boards. :cloud9:

Awesome Girlfriend :luhv:

Sally <3

Wowuch. That's the kind of stuff that is almost basically small a life insurance for his family.

My father has been ridiculously clear on all his life insurance policies to myself and my sisters, and before big trips always makes sure we know where to access that information so that we'll be taken care of.

Kinda what bothers me is that the guy buys them for that cheap and probably didn't even tell the family they were missing out on $145,000... :(

I don't know exactly how the deal went down but it's not his responsibility to tell them what the books are worth. If they had a garage sale and he asked "hey how much for that box of comics" and they said $500. He paid what they asked for the books and that's as far as his part of the equation goes. In this day and age of easily accessible information, they should have done some research. 5 minutes on google would have told them that they had something considerably more valuable than $500 worth on their hands.

My wife knows exactly how much my comics are worth but I certainly wouldn't trust her to sell the things at a decent price. she would either ask to much and not sell them or take the first offer put on the table which will be low.