• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cautionary Tale

50 posts in this topic

Sounds like a pretty low thing to do. I know it's a fine line and I don't know the details. But ponying up 500 clams for 150k in books from a widow or grieving child is a pretty low and scummy thing.. IMO

Again I don't know the details... but still...

I kind of feel the same way... a bit conflicted.

On the one hand, a great score. (thumbs u

On the other hand, I feel a little bad for the wife and family knowing the circumstances. (The collector DID die and at the young age of 53.)

My girlfriend definitely has a ballpark idea on what most of my books are worth. Plus, by going to shows, she's met quite a few board members. If something were to happen to me, she'd certainly come here and get some help from a few trusted board members before selling anything.

Boards. :cloud9:

Awesome Girlfriend :luhv:

J. Scott Campbell would probably have already asked her out by the time your body was cold.

Kinda what bothers me is that the guy buys them for that cheap and probably didn't even tell the family they were missing out on $145,000... :(

Ahem ... that's 149,500 ...

See, math isn't my strong point. My sister even pointed that out to me when I was in the middle of writing the post and I *still* got it wrong.

Kinda what bothers me is that the guy buys them for that cheap and probably didn't even tell the family they were missing out on $145,000... :(

See, math isn't my strong point. My sister even pointed that out to me when I was in the middle of writing the post and I *still* got it wrong.

barbie-hates-math.png

:grin::baiting:

funny-pictures-women-math.jpg

Does anyone even know if the original owner had a wife and family? If he did, and these comics represented a major portion of his worth, shame on him for not knowing their worth and perhaps cashing them out so his family could have enjoyed the money while he was alive. At the least, he should have alerted his family that there was value built into the books.

God forbid something happen to my dad or myself, but thankfully my sister and boyfriend know about how much our books are worth.

My mom would probably throw them away.

Thank Grud my Mom knows different. lol

funny-pictures-women-math.jpg

:shrug:...lol..my daughter teaches Calculus...she was tutoring male students from the time she was in HS.;)

I just email her a copy of my data base whenever we go away...and I have prices I paid on the majority of my books.

Now my husband...says he will sell the books at a garage sale for $1.00 each...I have a few people who want to be notified;) I said I won't be here if that happens;)

Buying those books that cheap when he KNEW what he was getting..was not a nice thing.

Buying those books that cheap when he KNEW what he was getting..was not a nice thing.

I'll second that. If the deceased has a wife and/or kids, I don't know how the purchaser reconciles this with himself. It's one thing, if you plan on reselling the books, to make the seller aware of the value and to say "I can pay you this percentage since I'm buying them to resell." To just scarf them up and run is little better than stealing.

Some people can rip off others quite easily because they have a personal philosophy that says "me first, before all others." Somebody like that wouldn't lose any sleep over all this.

lol crisco....

It hurts more cuz I'm taking a statistics final tomorrow!!! :cry:

A rare mid august final? lol

Summer class to make up for the utter FAIL that was my study abroad in Turkey....

Stronguy: Except that my best friend is a Math major Stat minor with a 4.0 and two X chromosomes.......

lol

+1 and then to brag about it later is just wrong.

I wonder if he purchased a box and didn't realize until later or if he just was purchasing those comics. Either way, it's wrong IMO

Someone walks into my shop yesterday and tells me this story.I knew the person so it is 100% true.

He proceeds to tell me how he bought ASM 2-20, "abunch of early ffs and Avengers"for 500 dollars.This stuff was all 9.0-9.6.A very serious collector who passed at 53.

Please let someone know what your books are worth.This person got 150k worth of books for 500 bucks.

On a different note. Until I were to see them myself, I would take this claim with a grain of salt, even though I knew the person. Soooo mannnnnyyyy folks I've known over the years have shared such tales with me, and I've yet to see a single item from these alleged finds.

Until such time, I don't worry about the ethics, because it's most likely an exaggeration or fabrication. BUT, if this one is true please have them list some books here. :wishluck:

Someone walks into my shop yesterday and tells me this story.I knew the person so it is 100% true.

He proceeds to tell me how he bought ASM 2-20, "abunch of early ffs and Avengers"for 500 dollars.This stuff was all 9.0-9.6.A very serious collector who passed at 53.

Please let someone know what your books are worth.This person got 150k worth of books for 500 bucks.

On a different note. Until I were to see them myself, I would take this claim with a grain of salt, even though I knew the person. Soooo mannnnnyyyy folks I've known over the years have shared such tales with me, and I've yet to see a single item from these alleged finds.

Until such time, I don't worry about the ethics, because it's most likely an exaggeration or fabrication. BUT, if this one is true please have them list some books here. :wishluck:

I have seen the books.My grading is correct.This was a 30 year collection.He would only buy the best books in town and at shows.

And yes he knew what the books were worth.

ps If you pulled this off would you post any books here?