• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Nelson and his Pre Screening Services

37 posts in this topic

Matt is very good. He has reviewed a number of books for me and he tends to run in the 90-95% accuracy range. I had one book come back a PLOD for trimming, the only one I've ever had come back as a PLOD. He does tend to run a little slow, though, if you don't use his expedited service.

Matt is a good guy I use him because of a lot of my books I bought at cons before CGC was around were PLOD all with color touch and Matt let me know so I don't look bad if I ever sell my books. I only had one book that he stated would be a 6.0 from CGC but came back a 5.0 doh! .

If you are at WWChicago stop by his tabel so he can look at your books before you leave.

Matt is very good. He has reviewed a number of books for me and he tends to run in the 90-95% accuracy range. I had one book come back a PLOD for trimming, the only one I've ever had come back as a PLOD. He does tend to run a little slow, though, if you don't use his expedited service.

Out of curiosity, were you compensated anything for the mistake ?

PM me if you feel it is not appropriate to answer publicly.

Highly recommended. Awesome. 95% correct. Seems one area he's a teeny bit different that CGC grades, where he seems harsher than CGC! First, I've noticed if a book is really colorful and really vibrant, CGC might bump a book up from 9.6 to 9.8 even if it has a technical flaw. Matt, (who probably wants to overdeliver and underpromise to keep expectations in check and his customers happy) would say 9.6.

I've sent some issues of Spider-Man to him: 121, 122, 194, 300...... He rejected 121 as a candidate, but pressed/shipped to CGC the others. I haven't gotten any back yet, I'll post pics when I do.

I'm also slabbing the Kevin Smith Spider-Man/Black Cat series... just love those covers...

My sense so far is: he's not fast, but he's responsive. The service is not expensive and the 1-2 dollar pass/reject service is very helpful. You give him your assessment and he gives you a thumb's up/down.

He lists some info about his success rate on his page, and I like that he's not claiming some ridiculously high claim for success.... and yes, some of his mistakes appear to grade higher than his prediction.

Highly recommended. Awesome. 95% correct. Seems one area he's a teeny bit different that CGC grades, where he seems harsher than CGC! First, I've noticed if a book is really colorful and really vibrant, CGC might bump a book up from 9.6 to 9.8 even if it has a technical flaw. Matt, (who probably wants to overdeliver and underpromise to keep expectations in check and his customers happy) would say 9.6.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u I agree. Matt is a great guy and probably 95% at grading, which is better than anyone I know and as high as can be expected by anyone other than CGC. As far as detecting restoration, apparently he has not caught everything, but he is probably at 99% without using a microscope! If he misses it, he does try to make amends as stated in the paragraph from his website.

http://www.classicsincorporated.com/services_proscreen.htm

"Our expert eye is the best in the industry for spotting restoration before CGC does. In the rare event that restoration is missed we will review and remove the restoration for free, or if we deem that removal is not feasible, we will offer a credit for the cost of pressing that book. We do not cover subsequent CGC fees."

I am glad Matt is in the business and I wish he lived here in the Bay area. His screening is definitely worth the cost. If you must have100% accuracy as far as grade and restoration detection, then simply send your book straight to CGC! :makepoint:

He's a very nice guy, but the last group I had sent to him, I submitted 3 books with my CGC coupon and 3 out of 3 came back PLOD. One I knew in advance, I submitted it already PLOD, the 2nd one he was removing restoration, but he missed some, and the third one I had submitted for a pro-screening and he missed trimming, so he does miss stuff. No one is perfect.

I never thought of using my CGC coupon via Matt, good idea !

The one time I had Matt do resto removal for me he stated up front that it may take multiple submissions. It did take a 2nd submission but it was clean the 2nd time around so I was happy. The gain in the value of the book was more than worth the price of two submissions !

I've passed over 2 dozen books through Matt and I've been very happy. He did miss edge trimming on one of my books, which was a pity. But his work has been outstanding... most notably a 7.0+ that came back a 9.2 and a 8.0+ that came back 9.4. Both of those books had defects he wasn't sure he could remove, so he proposed the most conservative grade he thought fair. Pretty stand up guy. Otherwise, his grades have been within 1 point, and usually on the conservative side.