• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this X-Men 8 be VF/NM???

34 posts in this topic

a) I'm too harsh on grading

b) Those other buyers wouldn't know a spine crease from a butt crease

or

c) all of the above

I'm gonna go with B. I understand that the members on this site (me included) tend to be grade snobs and are rough graders, but come on... How can anyone say that the grading is right on when it's a difference of VF/NM and VG/F? Even my fiancee (with no grading knowledge) took one look at it and thought it was in bad condition. I was willing to accept that it could be one grade off due to me being hard on my grades, but not 4 - 5 points. That's just insane.

Well, those possible explanations for some sellers' flawless feedback in the face of gross overgrading doesn't explain Comic-Keys' track record on feedback.... the option you've overlooked is:

- seller is a pro at charming/disarming and otherwise mollifying disgruntled buyers to the point that they don't often (/ever) leave negative feedback, even though the overall experience was fairly negative.

Which leads to my next question: Apotheosis, will you be leaving pos., neutral or neg. feedback for this seller? I would say a neutral is definitely in order, and will help forewarn other buyers about this seller's shifty practices (overgrading and substituting scans). Personally, I'd neg the guy just on principle for the "wrong scan" tactic. That's just bogus, and he never even addressed that point, right?

Can anyone post a link to the auction?

Here's the link

Ok... the guy just got back to me and has offered a full refund or said that he will send me more silver age books so that I feel that I got my money's worth. I'll be sending the book back. It was nice that he got back to me in less than 24 hours. Still wish it would have been at least close to the stated grade. Most of his customers seem to be happy with the grade on the comics he sells. Strange that this one was so far off.

dude - that is SO not the book in the auction!!!!!!

who knows what happened - i like the "he substituted a lesser quality book because he didn't get his price", theory. i also go for the - "he sent the wrong book", hypothesis.

in any event get your dough back (or maybe see what silver age books he's willing to sweeten the pot with) devil.gif

How can you tell that they are different? The scan in the auction is so small that I can't see any of the wear on the book, and the wrap characteristics are the same.

If anything, this is yet another example of the "ask for big scans, and if you don't get them, don't bid" principle.

who knows what happened - i like the "he substituted a lesser quality book because he didn't get his price", theory. i also go for the - "he sent the wrong book", hypothesis.

in any event get your dough back (or maybe see what silver age books he's willing to sweeten the pot with) devil.gif

Can anyone post a link to the auction?

Here's the link

Ok... the guy just got back to me and has offered a full refund or said that he will send me more silver age books so that I feel that I got my money's worth. I'll be sending the book back. It was nice that he got back to me in less than 24 hours. Still wish it would have been at least close to the stated grade. Most of his customers seem to be happy with the grade on the comics he sells. Strange that this one was so far off.

Most people can't grade worth a lick?

Most people can't grade worth a lick?

I think that's really it. Most people just really, honestly, suck at grading. I know collectors and some dealers (!) that don't even own an Overstreet Grading Guide. They're going by the grade descriptions in the front of the OPG. Or even worse, Wizard.

i have to be careful here as you're almost never wrong, but what the hell.........the comic that was bought has virtually no open white page above the comics code stamp. there is only the bent overflash above the X in x-men. but most telling is that the angels wings are definitely clipped off.

now take a look at the link for any of those 3 items, especially the angels wings. you'll note that in the auction the book had open white space above all three of these points of reference, including the angel's wings. despite the small scan, i think it's obvious. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How can you tell that they are different? The scan in the auction is so small that I can't see any of the wear on the book, and the wrap characteristics are the same.

If anything, this is yet another example of the "ask for big scans, and if you don't get them, don't bid" principle.

Aside from the angel's wings thing, I'd say that the small scan is too tiny to be sure about that stuff, especially if the book was scanned with a white background. But judging from the art of the angels wings that is present in the scan vs. what is visible on the book posted here, you're absolutely right. Different book. I missed the angel's wings art, and I sit corrected. thumbsup2.gif

i have to be careful here as you're almost never wrong, but what the hell.........the comic that was bought has virtually no open white page above the comics code stamp. there is only the bent overflash above the X in x-men. but most telling is that the angels wings are definitely clipped off.

now take a look at the link for any of those 3 items, especially the angels wings. you'll note that in the auction the book had open white space above all three of these points of reference, including the angel's wings. despite the small scan, i think it's obvious. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifgrin.gif

and i like your way of responding to a quote at the top of the post so that one doesn't have to travel down "X" number of quotes to get at the current one thumbsup2.gif

Aside from the angel's wings thing, I'd say that the small scan is too tiny to be sure about that stuff, especially if the book was scanned with a white background. But judging from the art of the angels wings that is present in the scan vs. what is visible on the book posted here, you're absolutely right. Different book. I missed the angel's wings art, and I sit corrected. thumbsup2.gif

That's a good idea! laugh.gif

and i like your way of responding to a quote at the top of the post so that one doesn't have to travel down "X" number of quotes to get at the current one thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I think it sux !

I actually like it too. cool.gif