• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mid-Ohio-Con - November 6-7, 2010 - Columbus, OH

103 posts in this topic

I'm at booth 602 with some new comic boxes.

I have 5 long boxes with new for this show $3 and $5 silver and bronze that should sell well.

I also have picked up some new 1 owner per code horror and crime comics as well as 70+ sport type comics from the late 40's to mid 50's.

Stop by and say hi.

Leroy

I'm set up next to Mile High Comics.

Just got back home from the con. No pictures so I'll keep it short. I ran into a handful of boardies, Roy, Topnotchman/Tom, Dale Roberts, Steve Borock.

Overall, Dale, Comic Book World, Haganland, and Jamie Graham had some decent books but overall it was a pretty weak show. Even the $1 boxes were full of heavily damaged books. Not even much chance to pull a 9.8 modern to finish some of my runs.

The artist Alley looked pretty good but I'm not so much into that. I understand Pirate is there but I didn't see him. I'm sure he can give a better review of the OA opportunities.

I'm at booth 602 with some new comic boxes.

I have 5 long boxes with new for this show $3 and $5 silver and bronze that should sell well.

I also have picked up some new 1 owner per code horror and crime comics as well as 70+ sport type comics from the late 40's to mid 50's.

Stop by and say hi.

Leroy

I'm set up next to Mile High Comics.

Leroy had a nice selection. Including a real nice NM+ GSX #1 :luhv: (thanks again Leroy)

Show was about the same as last year. Not a lot of real ultra HG, but a lot of nice BA and modern in $1-$5 boxes.

It was great to finally meet a few boardies in person, including John/jeBailiy, Adam/Peter Palmer, Dale Roberts and Bill/Billy the Kidd. :headbang:

I enjoyed this show but will not attend a Wizard show so this will be my last. I was able to pick up several sketch covers that are on there way to CGC. Thanks to Peter Palmer, Billy the Kid, Seaningh and pirate for there help. I also was able to get this sketch. The scan does not do this piece justice.

CCI11082010_00000.jpg

hm How to follow that awesome Kitson Spidey...

How about:

GreenGoblinbyArtBaltazar-1.jpg

I've wanted to get some sketches from Art Baltazar in the past but his table was always swamped at every show I've seen him at. I finally got to meet him last weekend and got a few done. This one was one Sally got for me. The best part about getting a sketch from Art is having him narrate as he's drawing. The guy's a trip!

It was great seeing you this weekend, John! Needless to say I'm a little jealous of that Spider-man. It came out VERY nicely! :applause:

I'm not outright boycotting Wizard shows yet, but they'll certainly have to give me a reason to want to come back. In the mean time, I'll see you at the VA Con. (thumbs u

Depends on what you're looking for at a "COMIC" convention. If your into media guests then Wizard World's got you covered. If you like to meet comic book creators at conventions then you may want to look else where.

Check any upcoming Wizard guest list, you'll certainly be able to contribute to the subject after that.

More and more, the guests at Wizard shows seem to be pretty cookie-cutter (the cast of the Batman series, Lou Ferrigno, wrestlers, etc). They offer very similar guests from show to show with a little variety sprinkled in. In the last few years, it seems that comic guests have been an afterthought at many of them.

To acquire a show like Mid-Ohio means that we'll likely see fewer comic guests, fewer dealers, and higher ticket prices (as can be seen already on the site). Dealers and local artists say that Wizard shows are more costly to set up at, meaning we won't get the variety that for years has been synonymous with Mid-Ohio and a few other shows. Mid-Ohio was pretty close to my favorite show. Now it's unlikely that I'll make the trip next year.

Of course, this is just from a fan perspective. Maybe someone a little more well-versed could explain the ethical issues surrounding Wizard shows.

More and more, the guests at Wizard shows seem to be pretty cookie-cutter (the cast of the Batman series, Lou Ferrigno, wrestlers, etc). They offer very similar guests from show to show with a little variety sprinkled in. In the last few years, it seems that comic guests have been an afterthought at many of them.

To acquire a show like Mid-Ohio means that we'll likely see fewer comic guests, fewer dealers, and higher ticket prices (as can be seen already on the site). Dealers and local artists say that Wizard shows are more costly to set up at, meaning we won't get the variety that for years has been synonymous with Mid-Ohio and a few other shows. Mid-Ohio was pretty close to my favorite show. Now it's unlikely that I'll make the trip next year.

Of course, this is just from a fan perspective. Maybe someone a little more well-versed could explain the ethical issues surrounding Wizard shows.

+1 Have also heard from some artistic sources that Wizard doesn't treat the mid range guests very well.

I was speaking to a couple of dealers at Mid Ohio, and they both said that Wizard were doubling the booth prices for next year - which meant that the setup cost was going to be close to what it is at the Chicago Comic Con. Insanity.