• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin Comic Con - 11/12/10 - 11/14/10

117 posts in this topic

just got done on the show floor, and have to say it went pretty well today. Decent amount of silver and gold, some decently priced, others triple guide (and shouldn't have been). Alot of the expensive books, and alot of the cheap cheap stuff, not alot of the in-between books. Artist alleys were packed and poorly set up, but the show was well attended. I will be with fellow boardie Mysterio tomorrow, I'll be wearing a black 'metro chicago' shirt. Mysterio will be in long sleeve gray spidey shirt. Feel free to say Hi.

Pretty disappointing. Mereel hit it on the head, either expensive or fodder. Almost no in-between. TONS of trades.

Deadpool books seem to be pretty pricey & available. Walking Dead is the talk of the show (though only one guy seems to have any low # issues).

Friday was very quiet. Works for me though so I don't have a ton of fan-boys trying to look in the same box I am. Saturday was much busier.

Ivy was knucking futz. Don't even know why she wasted the time to wear even that.

Favorite for me? Probably the artist from Chew. Way down-to-earth kind of guy. Look forward to getting my sketch tomorrow.

Suydam had a huge line. Ferrigno was popular on Friday. Asian guy from Star Trek is always popular.

Haven't seen/heard from a board member yet.

Pat

I had a pretty good time. Met Harley, Bedrock, and Steve Ritter. Steve gave me the lowdown on the New York heist, including video evidence from the security cams. Really cool guy to talk to. So was Richard. I looked out for the rest of you guys but didn't spot you. I agree with the previous comments - there was some well-priced stuff and some stuff way over market. I didn't buy anything but I got to take a close look at some books I may make offers on in the future.

In case you can't tell from the stream-of-consciousness above, my friends and I are now on 6th street. Horns. If any of you guys are going to be downtown tonight let me know. First shot is on me!

Pretty disappointing. Mereel hit it on the head, either expensive or fodder. Almost no in-between. TONS of trades.

Deadpool books seem to be pretty pricey & available. Walking Dead is the talk of the show (though only one guy seems to have any low # issues).

Friday was very quiet. Works for me though so I don't have a ton of fan-boys trying to look in the same box I am. Saturday was much busier.

Ivy was knucking futz . Don't even know why she wasted the time to wear even that.

Favorite for me? Probably the artist from Chew. Way down-to-earth kind of guy. Look forward to getting my sketch tomorrow.

Suydam had a huge line. Ferrigno was popular on Friday. Asian guy from Star Trek is always popular.

Haven't seen/heard from a board member yet.

Pat

I think someone watches Squidbillies :applause:

squidbillies.jpg

Back in Lubbock and after the 800 mile, ~39 hour roundtrip I have to say that overall it was a really fun and very successful weekend. Got a few great books (highlighted by an Amazing Adult Fantasy in CGC 8.0 OW-W, TOS #5 in raw 5.0, and a Journey into Mystery #76 12 cent version in raw 6.0 among others), met a few boardies (Bedrock & Wrightson Fan), and got the Billy Dee Williams autograph on my poster I had wanted. We didn't make it out for drinks with the boardies, but that was only because we completely crashed after the travel + a full day at the con.

Pictures, scans, and a more complete debriefing to follow in a day or two.

Had a fun time myself! It's been a long time coming to have a comic con in my own town.

Although I missed out on Poison Ivy, the highlight for me was getting to meet Ray Park. Really nice guy and we got to converse about martial arts. Getting free hugs from Joan Severence was a plus too. Seems like most high end books were a bit over priced so I stuck to getting sketch commissions to decorate my comic book office.

My 2010 WW Austin show report.

I went to the show with my brother (jaster-mereel on the boards), and this was the first big show we have gotten to attend since WW Chicago in 2008 (so basically unless the car broke down or the building caught on fire it was going to be a good time). Austin is about 400 miles from Lubbock, give or take, so we got on the road at about 5:15 am Saturday morning and made it to the hotel (Hilton Garden Inn, nice place) at about noon. After dropping our off we made the two block trek to the con and were quite underwhelmed at first. There were about a third as many dealers as I had been hoping to see, and since I go to shows to shop for books that was not a good start to the day. It was also annoying that the show floor was packed but they had a large area roped off for gaming that was very sparsely populated. They could have cut gaming in half and been ok, and that would have provided a lot more room for people to walk around. Anyway, we found Bedrock's booth and I got to meet Richard, who offered me a discount on a nice TOS #5 when I was perfectly willing to pay his fair asking price. Shortly thereafter my show was made when I picked up a beautiful 8.0 Amazing Adult Fantasy #12 from Worldwide. This has always been a nemesis book for me, and I got what I felt was a fair deal on it based on prices I have seen being asked for lesser copies online. My brother made a few nice purchases as well, but I will let him write his own report if he wants to.

After shopping for a bit we got into line for Billy Dee Williams so I could get my "Revenge of the Jedi" poster signed (and before anyone asks it is a reprint). I have been working on this poster for about 10 years, but haven't been able to get any signatures since Anthony Daniels in Knoxville in about 2003. We got into his line about 30 minutes before he was due to sign, and it was good we did because the line got huge pretty quickly. Billy Dee was very gracious and gave me (well maybe not gave, it did cost $40) a great bold signature in gold paint marker.

We stayed at the show for quite a while, but about 5 we both started to fade. We were hoping to meet up with the other boardies for dinner or drinks, but after the day we had had and running on short sleep we were in bed by like 7. Pathetic, but that is the way it goes sometimes...

We went back on Sunday for just a little bit before getting back on the road, and had another successful day. I bought a raw JIM #76 (12 cent version) to go with my 10/12 overprinted version. It is about a 5.5-6.0 for $30, and I'll buy nice pre-hero for $30 all day long. Rob bought more than I did on Sunday, and I could have bought more but I wanted to hold a little money back for the Clink auctions. There were about a tenth of the people there on Sunday compared to Saturday. Plenty of room to wander around and thumb through boxes. On the way out of town we hit Austin Books & Comics on North Lamar, and I picked up a Millie the Model #207 in about G/VG. For those non-Millie collectors (I'm only working on 200-207 myself) it is the last issue of the run and pretty tough to find even in lower grade so I'm happy to have a copy. Great shop the next time you are in Austin.

Overall the show was very successful for us. I said in an earlier post that basically one dealer and the right book(s) can make a show successful, and without that one good purchase your show can pretty much suck. Though I was not optimistic early I did manage to come away with some great purchases to make the show more than worthwhile (even beyond a rare weekend con trip with my brother). I'm hopeful that this is just the first in a long and hopefully growing annual Austin show tradition. There were a lot of Texas dealers who didn't even bother to go (Lone Star for one) and it should be fairly easy to grow this show with lots more dealers. The show also suffered from a lot of fairly obscene pricing, double or triple market pricing in some cases. Prices so high you couldn't even start to haggle because you were 75% apart in some cases, so it isn't even worth opening your mouth. But there were enough reasonably priced gems to be had to satisfy me, and we will be looking forward to the show next year.