• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

But when do you think Michonne will make an appearance? If history has taught us anything the highest selling price realized on books inflated by movies or TV is right before it is released. This is true of almost every movie. I believe this is also true of 1st appearances. It certainly holds true for 1st appearances in movie sequels.

Not sure, Jeff. Everything feels different with this property. It's like Kirkman and company is watching us too, to give us the unexpected(no matter how terrible-underground nuclear silo, T-Dogg, bad Carl actor, etc...).

Personally, I think Chandler Riggs is doing a GREAT job! :slapfight:

There is improvement, but your talking to someone who considers the child actors of "Let The Right One In" as the best child actors on celluloid. Heck, even just watching the remake "Let Me In"(my review is on Facebook, Steve ;) ), Chandler Riggs cannot hold a candle to those kids either. :baiting:

My main issue is that he's just too distracting in his performance, as one of my favorite characters of the book. Especially, last season.

OK, back to the fight.

:slapfight:

Not sure about when Michonne will appear or the remainder of my analysis?
A little of both now that you ask. ;)

Not sure if they will just bring her on at the last minute of the Season. I imagine they would want to open a Season with her instead. As expectations would be set too high if she appeared at the last moment. Michonne is kind of a low-key kind of gal making her away across the terrain after-all(a female Mad Max). Audiences would find themselves slightly disappointed. If they did what they did in #19, it would feel shallow and comic-booky. What plays cool on page, doesn't always play great on the screen.

Your analysis is sound... for superhero-type books. With on and off again characters. Riddler first appearance, the Crow first appearance and on. But, The Walking Dead is an ensemble piece, where they play off each other, blend into the woodwork and then re-appear. I believe her first appearance or the Governor's won't matter. Because who is Michonne without the Governor, or vice versa and who are they without Rick? Do you understand what I'm saying? :)

Not sure about when Michonne will appear or the remainder of my analysis?
A little of both now that you ask. ;)

Not sure if they will just bring her on at the last minute of the Season. I imagine they would want to open a Season with her instead. As expectations would be set too high if she appeared at the last moment. Michonne is kind of a low-key kind of gal making her away across the terrain after-all(a female Mad Max). Audiences would find themselves slightly disappointed. If they did what they did in #19, it would feel shallow and comic-booky. What plays cool on page, doesn't always play great on the screen.

Your analysis is sound... for superhero-type books. With on and off again characters. Riddler first appearance, the Crow first appearance, and on. But, The Walking Dead is an ensemble piece, where they play off each other, blend into the woodwork and then re-appear. I believe her first appearance or the Governor's won't matter. Because who is Michonne without the Governor, or vice versa and who are they without Rick? Do you understand what I'm saying? :)

Another way to look at this is, I could see a Michonne first appearane in #19 being valuable if she was spun off in a series and/or wound up in another Image series.

hmAnother example of this; Dodge's first FULL appearance in Locke & Key was Locke & Key #2. I don't see that ever going up in demand or value, even if there was a TV show. But, if he was defeated by the Lockes and went into another series tormenting kids, maybe I could see him/he/it as a viable character for this reasoning from an ensemble piece. But, for now he's just one of the legs holding up the L&K table.

Another way to look at this is, I could see a Michonne first appearane in #19 being valuable if she was spun off in a series and/or wound up in another Image series.

A Walking Dead spin-off series... hm That's an interesting thought - a split off group heading another direction; a single goal or search for something; one north/one south... hm

But when do you think Michonne will make an appearance? If history has taught us anything the highest selling price realized on books inflated by movies or TV is right before it is released. This is true of almost every movie. I believe this is also true of 1st appearances. It certainly holds true for 1st appearances in movie sequels.

Not sure, Jeff. Everything feels different with this property. It's like Kirkman and company is watching us too, to give us the unexpected(no matter how terrible-underground nuclear silo, T-Dogg, bad Carl actor, etc...).

There is improvement, but your talking to someone who considers the child actors of "Let The Right One In" as the best child actors on celluloid. Heck, even just watching the remake "Let Me In"(my review is on Facebook, Steve ;) ), Chandler Riggs cannot hold a candle to those kids either. :baiting:

My main issue is that he's just too distracting in his performance, as one of my favorite characters of the book. Especially, last season.

OK, back to the fight.

Of course he hasn't been given anywhere near the material or the spotlight to work with that all those kids had in those films.

OK, back to the fight.

Of course he hasn't been given anywhere near the material or the spotlight to work with that all those kids had in those films.

That alone makes me suspicious and disappointed with all the rich Carl Grimes mythology there is to offer, he easily could be one of the best characters on the show, if not best. :(

A Walking Dead spin-off series... hm That's an interesting thought - a split off group heading another direction; a single goal or search for something; one north/one south... hm

As comic collectors with encylopediac knowledge of appearances, I am very surprised no one ever pointed out this scenario before. It totally makes sense, that it would follow this tradition instead.

OK, back to the fight.

That alone makes me suspicious and disappointed with all the rich Carl Grimes mythology there is to offer, he easily could be one of the best characters on the show, if not best. :(

Being that it's television, and being that a big part of Carl's mythos is the "growing up fast in a zombie world", they would run into the issue of children wielding guns that would ramp quickly to children firing them, and then children killing adults with firearms.

If the series went there from season 1 there's a chance that those plot elements could overshadow everything else they were trying to do in the eyes of critics and various other viewers. I bet they get there, but only after the series if established and Carl having to react as an adult would be acceptable and not a distraction to the casual, non-comic indoctrinated, viewer.

Its funny you should say that. I just found this at the IMDb and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2022190/

Its funny you should say that. I just found this at the IMDb and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Those are characters in the "webisodes".

Those are characters in the "webisodes".

Ahh ok I just finished the end of the last episode and saw an advertisement for it.

Is it worth watching?

i just find the last 2 episodes to be rather....boring. the only scenes that really grabbed me were the highway and the first part of the school. Tension! that gets my attention, not talking to a wooden jesus or having to be convinced to stay when rick is the only match with worthless' blood type.

rick is a , andrea is a , shane is becoming less dickish, t-dog is still annoying, hershel is cool and i will be sad when he dies, lori is a bunt, but replace the b with a c, maggie is cute and daryl is still the only character that i don't want to see dead (besides hershel and glenn).

atleast next episode with have the real living dead and not the dead still living.

just finding the main characters uninteresting and boring.

i'm dying for a bloodbath, it is not coming fast enough.

The preview shown on Talking Dead this week alludes to Carl not making it. Seems a little much to reveal in a preview. Probably a ploy to make sure us readers keep tuning in.

we could always hope.

but i really don't see him dying, the basis of the title since the prison is rick protecting (grooming?) carl.

but if he did, that would be great...

Did anyone else realize that the blue meth from Breaking Bad was in episode 2?

Missed it..but that is cool as hell! :headbang:

I understand that the storyline is slow..but when has WD been about straight Zombie action? They are developing the characters and how it changes people when put into stressful situations. I basically hated season 1 (still dont own it on dvd) -- I maybe liked two episodes in that season. But so far this season I can't get enough of this show. They are staying closer to the Comics with out making it boring for the die hard fans.

The only character I root to die every week is T-Dog but he is acutally growing on me since going insane. :insane:

I am done with my rantrant

i do agree with you doug, except with the change in media from comics to t.v., a comic can be slow and still be interesting, but when you move to t.v. and go from a 5-10 min. read to 45-47 minutes, the pace has to be picked up a little to keep the story progressing/flowing.

this is the biggest issue i have with this season so far. it is too slow like the book. it is sad because i ahve been a fan since the beginning and the first season (save for a stray episode) was everything i expected to be. the book had a quick start and the series followed suit. now the series is a bit meandering so far but it is also only 2 in of 13 total. so i hope that the pace picks up.

the transistion from book to screen has been excellent so far, i just want a bit more action and less soap opera.