• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

please remember that the TV Show and The Book are not going to be exactly the same.

I don't mean that once she has the baby, she can't be killed b/c it deviates from the book. I'm saying that she becomes a mother with a small child and engenders a lot more audience sympathy. If the baby doesn't die, then what? Who cares for it?

She had the baby before she was killed in the comic. The baby died too. :gossip:

I stand correct then.

please remember that the TV Show and The Book are not going to be exactly the same.

I don't mean that once she has the baby, she can't be killed b/c it deviates from the book. I'm saying that she becomes a mother with a small child and engenders a lot more audience sympathy. If the baby doesn't die, then what? Who cares for it?

She had the baby before she was killed in the comic. The baby died too. :gossip:

I stand correct then.

I had my fiance hooked on it until that happened. She sobbed and said she couldn't read it any more and that's where she stopped.

This episode pissed me off. Rick's characterization seems way off - a much harsher SOB than in the comics at the same point in time. It's Comic Rick circa issue 100.

Is it weird that no one calls him out for anything?

So lemme see, this group can kill like 50 zombies in a clip in hand to hand combat without getting a scratch (and why is it that they run around in tank tops and try to expose as much skin as possible? shouldn't they be wearing leather and what not?), yet our 2 million strong military, with body armor and what not, couldn't eventually figure out "shoot them in the head" and "burn the bodies of the dead ASAP"?

i understand the "surprise" factor, but let's be serious, 200 well trained troops with the ample ammunition stockpiled by the u.s. government, could probably wipe out all the zombies out there in 10 months.

So lemme see, this group can kill like 50 zombies in a clip in hand to hand combat without getting a scratch (and why is it that they run around in tank tops and try to expose as much skin as possible? shouldn't they be wearing leather and what not?), yet our 2 million strong military, with body armor and what not, couldn't eventually figure out "shoot them in the head" and "burn the bodies of the dead ASAP"?

i understand the "surprise" factor, but let's be serious, 200 well trained troops with the ample ammunition stockpiled by the u.s. government, could probably wipe out all the zombies out there in 10 months.

They did! The surprise ending is Rick & co getting to some massive fences and finding civilization is fine except for the quaranteened section they were shut in.

I agree. That's why I hope they get this right with the military helicopter. The producers should have the military helicopter be one of many and have an actual operating base somewhere that hasn't been overrunned. The show would make more sense then.

Hopefully we see a flashback next week. How many times did the helicopter appear on the show so far? Twice I believe.

for all we know, this zombie outbreak could have started with the military. some experiment or whatever.

Rick killed a man in cold blood. There was no reason to leave that guy to be zombie food.

Second, Rick showed just how unstable he is by his treatment of the prisoners. If he wants to be on guard, that is fine. Just don't threaten and be such a hard . The way he talked to them and gave ultimatums was ridiculous. It was almost like he was begging for a fight. And if his goal is to protect his family, his actions were NOT helping.

Imagine if Rick had that kind of reception at the farm. lol.

I think this is what DiceX was talking about when he said "a line was crossed "

I think Rick did the right thing. Tomas the lead prisoner is the one who crossed the line at first and Rick was stuck reacting to this. Why setup your group to have to be watching your back from both the living and the dead when you can just take care of the problem up front. He did the right thing for the group's survival.

Rick was right in killing that guy. I just think he didn't need to kill the 2nd guy. I also didn't think he needed to threaten others. Why provoke a fight?

Establish dominance. An alpha male who is also a convict is a major threat. I'm not surprised that he didn't do it sooner. He will not murder, but given the apparent threat, homie had to go immediately. Once the alpha male is taken out, you can establish yourself solid. Those loyal to the deranged deceased had to go as well. A convict on the loose is a major threat, especially one that you can't see. Rick did the right thing by chasing him down and taking care of business. Rick did well in this episode.

for all we know, this zombie outbreak could have started with the military. some experiment or whatever.

The problem is in a scenario like this you have to think about how quickly it has spread across the country before the military can be mobilized. Especially in a situation like say today when we have so many troops abroad. If this started to break out most of the soldiers overseas would want to get home to check in on their loved ones before being mobilized within our borders. Good luck getting the troops to not break ranks at first. Also since everyone is infected already just think if they don't know about that you will have small outbreaks within your ranks and behind your lines.

I do think though you would find more small towns throughout the country who are able to take control and secure their own borders and survive the early onslaughts due to the shear volume of firepower held by American citizens.

I myself have enough gear to hold off a couple small towns worth of zombies. If 22 lr ammo is good enough to take them down I am ready with 20,000 + rounds of that alone in the stash. We won't discuss the bigger rounds you may think I am crazy.

:insane:

Rick killed a man in cold blood. There was no reason to leave that guy to be zombie food.

Second, Rick showed just how unstable he is by his treatment of the prisoners. If he wants to be on guard, that is fine. Just don't threaten and be such a hard . The way he talked to them and gave ultimatums was ridiculous. It was almost like he was begging for a fight. And if his goal is to protect his family, his actions were NOT helping.

Imagine if Rick had that kind of reception at the farm. lol.

I think this is what DiceX was talking about when he said "a line was crossed "

Big difference between people meeting at a farm and meeting people who are locked up in a prison. There's a whole different set of assumptions you can make about the people you are dealing with.

I think everyone is forgetting that Rick was a police officer. The last person in the world he's going to cut a break to are these inmates. This is a penitentiary, not a jail. Everyone inside is a felon. The most serious criminals society has to offer. I can't imagine a world, even this one, where anyone thinking straight is going to immediately trust someone who could be a child rapist, mass murderer, or psychopath.

Rick gave Rico Suave a chance, and Rico tried to slash him once and then tossed a slack jaw on his junk.

The guy who ran chose his side before Rick killed "Machete", there's no way Rick could let him hang around.

In a way Rick employed the "law of the prison yard". First day in you find the biggest baddest bull in the yard and you knock him the out. Set the tone from day one, strong and weak, your choice.

He pushed them to see what they would do; fall in line, or push back. Rick is the leader. He won't tolerate a challenge, not after Shane. So he got it out of the way. There's room for one Alpha Male.

Rick's actions are the only ones that make complete sense give the situation.

This episode pissed me off. Rick's characterization seems way off - a much harsher SOB than in the comics at the same point in time. It's Comic Rick circa issue 100.

Is it weird that no one calls him out for anything?

Given the fact that he's the reason they have gotten this efficient and survived this long without additional losses is one reason.

A second reason is, no one is going to challenge Rick when he's made it clear what happens when someone tries it.

Bottom line, they are alive because of him. His family, the Greenes and Darryl get that. This isn't Mayberry and Rick's the right tour guide for this ride.

the machete was worth the entire episode. With Rick and his actions that ate out of the norm, everyone needs to remember that up to 6 months passed from last season to this season, who knows what the group had to do to survive the winter. And it is possible that the writers are building Rick up to be this badass to counter the inevitable governor showdown. I do like how the show's writers are changing things up from the book. A few things I don't see making the translation is Rick losing his hand (replaced with merle's), Hershel's leg instead of dale, t-dog in place of tyreese, and as much as it would please me, I really don't see them killing off Lori.

the machete was worth the entire episode. With Rick and his actions that ate out of the norm, everyone needs to remember that up to 6 months passed from last season to this season, who knows what the group had to do to survive the winter. And it is possible that the writers are building Rick up to be this badass to counter the inevitable governor showdown. I do like how the show's writers are changing things up from the book. A few things I don't see making the translation is Rick losing his hand (replaced with merle's), Hershel's leg instead of dale, t-dog in place of tyreese, and as much as it would please me, I really don't see them killing off Lori.

Yep, personally I like how the show is throwing plenty of different things in there while staying true to the core of the storyline in the books. I prefer this Rick, I mean if you look at the situation they're in and what they've endured it isn't really hard to understand why he'd be this way, especially after the con whose head he put the machete in had tried to kill him twice.

As for the guy he locked outside, he was just protecting his own interests, and you could tell by the look on his face when he shut the inner door that, even though he knew he'd done what he had to do (as Lori had already said he must do), it didn't sit well with him at all.

Yep, personally I like how the show is throwing plenty of different things in there while staying true to the core of the storyline in the books. I prefer this Rick, I mean if you look at the situation they're in and what they've endured it isn't really hard to understand why he'd be this way, especially after the con whose head he put the machete in had tried to kill him twice.

As for the guy he locked outside, he was just protecting his own interests, and you could tell by the look on his face when he shut the inner door that, even though he knew he'd done what he had to do (as Lori had already said he must do), it didn't sit well with him at all.

I find it funny how people say that Rick in the book is auch a badass. This rick in the show is a badass. The book Rick is just a broken man just trying to keep those alive, that makes a man desperate and dumb. Show Rick is a badass as he is taking control early and really making it a true dictatorship. The show Rick is how the Rick SHOULD be, but isn't. This is the reason why the show is for all purposes is quickly eclipsing te source material.

Not that I mind, but what is the policy about posting with Spoiler Warnings? It's not a big deal, but I have noticed a lot of you guys are doing it today and it has been a few days since the show was aired.

Not that I mind, but what is the policy about posting with Spoiler Warnings? It's not a big deal, but I have noticed a lot of you guys are doing it today and it has been a few days since the show was aired.

The UK are a week behind. Other places are behind too.