• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

And I disagree with some of you guys. The Governor has definitely upped his A-hole quotient as of late. Lots of things have been patterned on his character straight from the book.

Also, all the people asking for a more rapey Gov? You're unsettling me. I know you mean it within the context of the comic, but just take a step back and hear what you're saying....

Because in the comic he was pure evil without reservation. Not so much in the show.

Merle is more the Governor in the show. If Governor was what Merle is, I'd be singing his praise.

I'm not getting my jollies off on a rape scene by any means. At this point Governor is going to have to do something this evil and heartless to completely get him away from the pansy-assed character he is on the TV show.

More Gov, less love. :sumo:

The writers are developing him more as a cult leader than an outward evil character.

So basically they've taken two of the greatest pieces of the comic story, Michonne and Governor, and eliminated all the things in both characters that made them so great.

I'm enjoying the TV show, but I'm ready for Michonne and the Governor to show up.

At this point, I'm ok with both characters being killed off at the end of this season.

They're both facepalms. :facepalm::facepalm:

see, i feel the complete opposite. i love the direction they've both gone so far. well, maybe the gov more so than michonne, but even her character hasn't bothered me, since i assume she'll be around for a while.

I don't see Merle being a "spy" for the Governor at this point. Now Merle may try to do this on his own to redeem himself but there is no way in hell the Governor set him up to be that.

Think about it, Merle outright lied to him about Michonne when he said they killed her, had both her head and Katana but lost them. Then she shows up out of nowhere, takes out Penny before his eyes and then takes out one of those eyes. The look in his eye when Merle first came up to him was the look of wanting to murder him right there. Sorry but no way is Merle still on the Governor's side in his mind.

Good points! I had forgotten about Merle lying to the Governor about killing Michonne.

I certainly like this better, but...

it was forshadowed when the Gov asked Merle where his allegiance would be when the :censored: hit the fan that this would be a Martinez type thing. Plus, it would explain how Daryl and Merle will get away.

Good episode though I don't find Michonne's motivation to confront the governor as compelling as it could've been and gov is total wuss and yes Andrea totally dfw in this show.

Yeah, I agree. I really don't understand why Michonne hates the Governor so much (it's obvious why in the comics) they never really setup her motivation for going out of her way and then sitting and waiting to kill him.

Perhaps because he sent four men after her to hunt her down and kill her?

That would be a good reason (man people forget details rather quickly)...I also don't think Michonne showed up at the Governors to hunt him down. I think specifically she went to see who was captive in the hidden chamber. She was in there a few episodes ago but never got to see what was inside because Merle and the Gov showed up. Curiosity usually kills the cat.

Jim

I don't see Merle being a "spy" for the Governor at this point. Now Merle may try to do this on his own to redeem himself but there is no way in hell the Governor set him up to be that.

Think about it, Merle outright lied to him about Michonne when he said they killed her, had both her head and Katana but lost them. Then she shows up out of nowhere, takes out Penny before his eyes and then takes out one of those eyes. The look in his eye when Merle first came up to him was the look of wanting to murder him right there. Sorry but no way is Merle still on the Governor's side in his mind.

Makes sense.

Andrea as Martinez?

It's Merle. Gov wanted Darryl to be turned to help his brother and be the inside man at the prison. That was before the attack on Woodbury.

Now that they have Darryl, the Gov. can set it up so that it looks like Merle saves Darryl and they escape together back to the prison.

Then Darryl vouches for Merle, gets him inside the prison, recons the place and goes back to the Gov.

Or that's at least a possible plot line.

Very possible. I was basing it on the preview for next season. It showed Andrea going back to the prison and it shows Daryl walking away in a cloud of smoke... We haven't seen Rick and co. go back yet...He may have some grenades left that he throws into that group to get Daryl back to the prison with them.

I am hoping they redeem Andrea's character. Right now, at this moment, she bears no resemblance to Andrea from the books other than her name.

None. None at all.

Help me out here guys, how is Andrea in the comics? Other than the excellent marksman, what do you see in the comics that makes her different than the show?

And while you are at it list all of her lovers from the comics.

In the comics she's:

Strong, not easily swayed, loyal, logical, honest, earnest, and certainly not a wishy washy wherever the wind blows kinda lady.

Good episode though I don't find Michonne's motivation to confront the governor as compelling as it could've been and gov is total wuss and yes Andrea totally dfw in this show.

Yeah, I agree. I really don't understand why Michonne hates the Governor so much (it's obvious why in the comics) they never really setup her motivation for going out of her way and then sitting and waiting to kill him.

because she knows he's not telling the truth and can sense there's an unspoken evilness to him. and again, some of you are forgetting the backlash kirkman received for raping michonne in the comics. maybe amc might have a rule against rape in a show, but i think it has more to do with kirkman not wanting to go thru that again 100 fold.

In my opinion, anyone who hasn't read the comics would see the Governor

as someone who will do anything to protect his community, who cares about them

and wants to keep them safe & entertained (in the weird zombie fighting arena way).

Who has a weird fetish for heads but loves his daughter so much he can't let her go

& even has someone looking for a cure.

Michonne comes across as a complete intent on killing & starting a war

Good points! I had forgotten about Merle lying to the Governor about killing Michonne.

I certainly like this better, but...

it was forshadowed when the Gov asked Merle where his allegiance would be when the :censored: hit the fan that this would be a Martinez type thing. Plus, it would explain how Daryl and Merle will get away.

Did the Governor ask him where his allegiance lies before or after he was attacked by Michonne? I don't remember offhand. If it was afterwards then sure. I am pretty sure it was before he was attacked and Penny was killed by Michonne which kills any idea of foreshadowing IMO.

because she knows he's not telling the truth and can sense there's an unspoken evilness to him. and again, some of you are forgetting the backlash kirkman received for raping michonne in the comics. maybe amc might have a rule against rape in a show, but i think it has more to do with kirkman not wanting to go thru that again 100 fold.

and wants to keep them safe & entertained (in the weird zombie fighting arena way).

Who has a weird fetish for heads but loves his daughter so much he can't let her go

maybe to some, but that's cause they don't see thru the gov's B.S. she does. merle being a top lieutenant tells me that the guy above him is probably worse. besides, she would have left him alone if he hadn't sent merle and them to kill her.

Edited by Hawkman

How do you reconcile that with the Governor telling her she could leave whenever she wanted and then sending a hit squad after her?

I think most people would not be overly accepting of someone telling them they are free to leave and then trying to shoot them in the back. lol

And I think you might be overestimating the understanding people would have for the "weird fetish for zombie heads in fish tanks"

The writers did show michonne in a more vulnerable state after she got away from the gov and Andrea. She was just about begging Rick to let her go back to the prison with them.

It's a start considering the flatness of the character up to that point.

Just got a chance to finally write my thoughts on last nights episode.

Very excited to see Tyrese. Very curious about his group. Who is the woman in the group. What is is with the guy with glasses?

Loved the conversation betweem Carol and Angel. Lesbians! lol!

The action scenes were really good! Loved the biting heads in the battle between the Governor and Michonne.

Looks like there is a lot that is going to happen in the second half of the season! Will give my theories later. Very excited!

The scene in the woods with Tyreese and his peeps was dumb. Just RUN!!!! They cant catch up or even keep up. When they got to the prison fence you could see the walkers behind them, it reminded me of Jason and Friday 13th. No matter how fast or far you run they'll always be two steps behind you.

Plus the hole in the fence, really? Rick or whoever would have already seen the hole and plugged/blocked it with the zip ties. There's no way that they wouldnt have seen a hole that size.

The scene in the woods with Tyreese and his peeps was dumb. Just RUN!!!! They cant catch up or even keep up. When they got to the prison fence you could see the walkers behind them, it reminded me of Jason and Friday 13th. No matter how fast or far you run they'll always be two steps behind you.

Plus the hole in the fence, really? Rick or whoever would have already seen the hole and plugged/blocked it with the zip ties. There's no way that they wouldnt have seen a hole that size.

If memory serves me, Rick's group has only secured their section of the prison(inner and outer) not the whole prison. The latest episode has Hershel and Carl talking about the "tombs" and how walkers may have wandered into to the tombs indicating that they haven't sealed them off yet. Tombs = lower/rear area cells and back gate.

That being said I'd hope they'd secured the prison more than they have, but hey, you can only have so many psychotic mind bends and continued loss of loved one; and still be on a tight inspection/brain bashing schedule. Plus Kirkman had to get Tyrese into the prison somehow.

I look forward to seeing how the show develops the "weaker" characters left behind at the prison. Carl's already got Tyreses's respect, we'll see how the other characters progress.

I don't read the comics, but I have friends that do. And they were hyping up the Governor as this horrible, ruthless villain. Honestly, he's nothing of the sort.

Evil? Sure, I guess. But I think that is mostly due to his comic book reputation. Do I HATE this character (like I thought I would)? No, I don't. He's the bad guy because the show tells me he is.

That's why I thought it was important that he rape Maggie OR maim (cut off) Glenn's hand. He has to do something for me to HATE him....despise him. I want to cheer when/if he finally dies. At this point, I'll just shrug and be like "Oh, another villain dies. Next." There is still time to do this I guess (especially if he kills Daryl) but I'm losing hope.

Michonne is sorta in the same boat. I thought she was this total bad ? Yeah, she's good with the sword, but personally I don't really care for her character. She is too stand off-ish just for the sake of being stand off-ish. Granted she is growing on me, but it's at a snails pace. If she is like this in the comic books, then I wouldn't have liked her there either.

My 2c

I'm going to rewatch it tonight. I'm glad they are doing some things differently to keep it fresh for the fans (be honest, if it was a carbon copy of the comics it wouldn't be as appealing - we'd all know what was going to happen). With that said, I am a little disappointed the Gov. up to this point is a little chumpish (was hardcore in the books). Michonne's character is a little disappointing as well.

I guess it's true what they say. If you read the book, the movie is a let down. At least we (for the most part) have experienced TWD in its true form. Overall, I do enjoy both mediums of TWD (just hate the wait until February now).

Oh, what the heck is Andrea's character doing? That is just a weird varation for me since she was so intregral to the group in defending the prison. I guess we'll find out. (thumbs u

Ryan

Hey guys, I missed the show last night.

When/ where will be the earliest that I be able to watch a repeat of last nights episode?

Why did I miss the show? I called verizon last week to have my fios tv and i-net services transferred to my other place. They said "No problem" , and scheduled for this transfer to occur a week later.

A few hours after the initial call, and lo' and behold, look who has no internet and no tv service anymore.

Let me tell you, it took a friggin' concerted effort consisting of a number of heated telephone discussions across the span of three days just to get them to reactivate it here at my original location. I also need a new metal filing cabinet, because I stoved mine in with my foot and a clothes iron during one of the phone calls. I also need a new iron, too. And hopefully my toe nail will be OK and my toe won't get infected and require removal. =)

i may be off base here, but i think the Governor will not be killed until the end of Season 4. That being said, we are 25% "done" with the Governor Arc.

Plenty of things left "to happen"

Why does the Gov need to be killed by the end of the season?

Why can't Rick and the others just leave the area/prison so it leaves the Gov always on the "what if" side.

i may be off base here, but i think the Governor will not be killed until the end of Season 4. That being said, we are 25% "done" with the Governor Arc.

Plenty of things left "to happen"

Why does the Gov need to be killed by the end of the season?

Why can't Rick and the others just leave the area/prison so it leaves the Gov always on the "what if" side.

Bad guys die! lol