• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August C-Link Featured Auction Thread...

241 posts in this topic

Some recent uptrends also continued, though. Particularly high grade war continues to be red hot.

9.6 OFF #90 for $513

9.4 OFF #89 for $313

9.4 Showcase #45 for $3700. I knew this one would be in demand, but wow!

got left way in the dust on that one.

What are people's thoughts about this weird copy of TEC 27? Anyone surprised by the current bidding at $5550?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D1%23Item%5F855766&id=855766

RADDB5F72010728_16159.jpg

Ended up at $7600

How many wraps in this book, 15 or so? Taking into account that 3 are repro, 12 are original and looking at how much the Action 1 wraps sold for...probably about right

Some recent uptrends also continued, though. Particularly high grade war continues to be red hot.

9.6 OFF #90 for $513

9.4 OFF #89 for $313

9.4 Showcase #45 for $3700. I knew this one would be in demand, but wow!

That one went a little crazy, didn't think that book would go that high. It only takes 2.

I don't expect the 150k value to be going down, I just expect the PLOD value to be going up.

Agreed, I think this can be said for most High Grade GA and SA keys

If that were true, people would start literally manufacturing these books, i.e. taking lower-graded books and restoring them up...and that's a big part of the reason people don't like them in the first place. They're not found gold, they're crafted gold.

I disagree. You won't see these books manufactured anymore. To get a 9.0 plod you have to start with 7.5-8.5 blue. That is what the crooks did in the 80s when they could get away with. Now there is a sheriff in town and that just is not a value proposition anymore. Who in their right mind is going to put CT and trim an 8.0 book. You can't sell if for anything raw these days for big money so it has to be slabbed. And if it is slabbed you just lost 30-45K. So IMHO the census might change a bit but you won't see the 9.0 and above PLOD population increase much unless something major changes in how we preceive PLODs. So the value of these books could double maybe triple and I they would still be below what their blue value was before the surgery. It just goes to show what a terrible thing the dealer crooks did to our community by destroying high grade books just to make extra money.

I agree with that. Matt Nelson pointed out to me that all of the high grade PLODS came from very nice original books like the 7.5-8.5 range. Now it makes no sense to mess with one of those to bring it up. If there was still a raw market where dealers could push HG books, that would be a reason to restore a HG copy. But that is no more, anyone should be able to access the large market now.

BTW, the AF15 has 1 restored CGC book for every three CGC'd AF15's. The supply is somewhat large, 31 above the 9.0 level. I asked CGC about that PLOD 9.0 when I was checking on my 6.0 PLOD today. One grader gave it an 8.5, and the slight color touch is a marker, so permanent. It was likely about an 8.0 at best before the trimming etc.

The book I really wished I had tried harder for was the 9.4 ASM 14, that went for right at the GPA.

Too many flaws to list with the above statements. It is a new age of comic "collecting".

'Nuff said.

9.4 Showcase #45 for $3700.

Stout. Very Stout.

I am sure glad I didn't have that on my want list.

It's on my want list, but the bidding passed the level I was willing to bid at so long ago that I never even got a chance to make a "real" bid.

Is the run War books have been on lately just catch up to where they should have been or are they just the book of the moment and at some point will be out of favor? Because everysince Marlow sold his run on Heritage, this genre has been smoking.

I agree with that. Matt Nelson pointed out to me that all of the high grade PLODS came from very nice original books like the 7.5-8.5 range. Now it makes no sense to mess with one of those to bring it up. If there was still a raw market where dealers could push HG books, that would be a reason to restore a HG copy. But that is no more, anyone should be able to access the large market now.

What's stopping me from taking this exact book and restoring it to a 9.4, 9.6, or 9.8?

How many wraps in this book, 15 or so? Taking into account that 3 are repro, 12 are original and looking at how much the Action 1 wraps sold for...probably about right

But are the three repro wraps the entire Batman story? I dunno, and that makes all the difference. (shrug)

FF's look like they did pretty well yet again, with the #4 in 7.0 going for $450 more than it was listed for on Comiclink over the summer ($2400 total) and others hitting solid highs. I got outbid on four books and came away empty-handed. Ah well!

Dan

Is the run War books have been on lately just catch up to where they should have been or are they just the book of the moment and at some point will be out of favor? Because everysince Marlow sold his run on Heritage, this genre has been smoking.

Keith reactivated that market, at least to an extent.

Keith reactivated that market, at least to an extent.

I think the War genre is both hot and cold, and somewhat dependent on the venue. I think we're on the other side of the bubble right now, but I'm sure Andy G. can address this question much better than I can.

Some continuation of recent price implosion trends:

The Duck implosion--9.4 FC #386, with white pages, sold for $10,925, even less than the $13,145 that another 9.4 copy sold for on Heritage just earlier this month.

Part of the further decline was undoubtedly because it's just a bad idea to sell Ducks on Comiclink, but it appears this book is still looking for a bottom.This was consistently a $20K+ book just a few years ago.

The JLA implosion--9.6 JLA #33 sold for $728, and would've sold for less if I hadn't been the underbidder at $678. This is the same copy that I sold on Heritage in February 2009 for $1673.

Ebay would be the way to go with the Ducks books, why? The foreign market is huge on Ebay,The Duck books average 10 million copies a month sold in Europe and that`s a month not a year!,Barks is like Kirby there,Disney is a comicbook empire in Europe.Here in America the Duck books are a niche while in Europe they are mainstream. ;)