• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you tell me about the Boston and Winnipeg Pedigree collections

98 posts in this topic

I do apologize for this question if it's been asked before, but what makes a Pedigree so special? Is it the quality of the books, or the amount of books that are of a decent quality? (shrug)

Both of those, but more importantly, the story. Everyone loves the idea of imagining themselves as uncovering massive hordes of pristine vintage books. :cloud9:

According to Bechara, He said that the Boston books get sent to him by a real good friend of his for a certain multiple of guide, he doesn't know what's coming,they come double packed,1 bag,1 board, 2 books per bag. He doesn't even price anything, You ask him "How much is this"? All he does is look at it and say "5 times guide". Bechara ain't a bad guy, just a lil weird. like you can look at this artwork, but you can't look through this artwork right next to it or he'll ask you what you paid for certain things and he'll talk more on his cell phone than give you his full attention.

According to Bechara, He said that the Boston books get sent to him by a real good friend of his for a certain multiple of guide, he doesn't know what's coming,they come double packed,1 bag,1 board, 2 books per bag. He doesn't even price anything, You ask him "How much is this"? All he does is look at it and say "5 times guide". Bechara ain't a bad guy, just a lil weird. like you can look at this artwork, but you can't look through this artwork right next to it or he'll ask you what you paid for certain things and he'll talk more on his cell phone than give you his full attention.

I talked to Bechara about the Boston's, and question where are the rest of them? He said he will bringing some to the New York Comiccon, hope there are some good ones.

I talked to Bechara about the Boston's, and question where are the rest of them? He said he will bringing some to the New York Comiccon, hope there are some good ones.

Pffttt... He's probably pulling your leg. Don't get your hopes up.

In any event, the Boston books are killer with deep colors and very fresh pages.

True. While the Boston books are treated as one of the 2nd teir peds (Curator, PC are considered better), they certainly are beautiful books. The inks look like they are dripping off the covers (at least on the copies that I've owned). Love the Boston books.

Chris, I don`t think those folks who disparage the Boston pedigree (and I`m one of them) do it because of the quality of the books, because they are indeed superb individually and collectively. In fact, book for book, I think there are more than a few knowledgeable folks who would take Boston over PC.

The main source of their disdain is that at least based on what`s emerged so far, the bulk of the collection is from the not so scarce post-1964 period, whereas collections like PC and Curator go earlier and produce gems from the much tougher pre-1964 period.

I won't argue with that, Tim.

The Bostons do seem to be missing the earlier books (perhaps they exist and just haven't been brought to market yet, or even turned over to Bechera yet).

Re-reading my post, I can see how it may have come across that they were lesser quality (ie, not as nice). I meant what you stated; not the breadth of collection/post '65.

Thanks for clarifying.

I did own one of the Boston Avengers 4s at one point and it was a solid book. I've also seen the Winnipeg and the boston and like both Avengers 4, but favored the Boston only because of the lack of the writing.

Avengers 4 takes the collection back to at least early 1964. hm

Unfortunately great preservation and white pages don't cancel out structural defects.

That's an opinion, with which I may or may not agree, depending on the "structural defects" in question. I've seen high-grade CGC encapsulated books that I wouldn't want to own. As an example: over the past couple of years, a Colorado-based collector has put up for sale on eBay a Captain America 1, graded CGC VF+, with the most horrendous dust shadow I've seen. I would favor a mid grade copy with "structural defects" over that particular book anytime.

Conversely, I once sent in a Gaines file copy book that had huge creases on one corner, as if the box in which it had been stored had dropped on the corner. It came back CGC VF/NM. I didn't agree that book was 9.0, but its "great preservation and white pages" cancelled out it's structural defects...

Brian -

Was the Boston AV 4 graded? What was it? Was the cover blazing white? Typical Boston "wet inks"? etc....

It was a nice book, but nothing crazy. The white was not blazing white and the inks were nice, but nothing unbelievable. I ultimately sold it because it wasn't an outstanding copy, but very nice nevertheless.

I bought a lot (and I mean A LOT) of my pre-hero Marvels directly from Joe in the early 90s -- before they were even called Winnipegs.

He was a very nice guy and we must have spent hours on the phone having him describe each book to me - all intertrined with his opining about the art and the smell of the book. I was as giddy as a school girl when my package arrived from Canada.

One of the first images I posted on these boards was the price list fax that Joe had originally sent me...I was floored when I got it.

Bill

You are one of the few people that has ever described a positive experience with Joe. He can certainly be nice but he has a less than stellar reputation in Winnipeg.

I just saw the listing of the Tales of Suspense Winnipeg books...

Jeez did Showcase over grade those books! lol

I own the TOS 90 Winnipeg and it's an 8.0 from CGC. Showcase had it at NM 96. ;)

Pacific Coast books are considered 1st tier pedigrees? I was under the impression they are tarnished as MH2's - being that alot of the collection was newstand overages.

I cant confirm any of this but i read it somewhere (most likely here!)

as to boston certs - i dont think they exist - im a pedigree horder and have yet to see one.

Pacific Coast books are considered 1st tier pedigrees? I was under the impression they are tarnished as MH2's - being that alot of the collection was newstand overages.

I've never got that impression. We've had plenty of "rank the ped" discussions over the years here, and the PC's always ranked near the top (for SA books) from what I remember.

as to boston certs - i dont think they exist - im a pedigree horder and have yet to see one.

I've never seen or heard of them either. None of the Bostons I have owned came with a cert.

(tsk)

The Pacific Coast collection is arguably the finest Silver Age pedigree of them all. It is usually ranked on par with if not superior to the Curator pedigree at the pinnacle of SA collections. None of it was found in a warehouse, but rather all were purchased by an original owner, and nearly every issue is represented by only a single copy.

Mentioning MH2 comics in the same sentence is a travesty.

(tsk)

The Pacific Coast collection is arguably the finest Silver Age pedigree of them all. It is usually ranked on par with if not superior to the Curator pedigree at the pinnacle of SA collections. None of it was found in a warehouse, but rather all were purchased by an original owner, and nearly every issue is represented by only a single copy.

Mentioning MH2 comics in the same sentence is a travesty.

nuff said