• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can you tell me about the Boston and Winnipeg Pedigree collections

98 posts in this topic

The question was asked regarding Boston certs, and that's all I was trying to

help out with. :)

Ok thanks...but why not disclose the TOS number on the card or the grade? Why the big secret? Seriously curious...

Ok thanks...but why not disclose the TOS number on the card or the grade? Why the big secret? Seriously curious...

I'll hazard a guess: publicly disclosing possession of highly sought after comics leads to unsolicited and unwanted messages making lowball offers, or asking about sale prices for comics not for sale.

I'll hazard a guess: publicly disclosing possession of highly sought after comics leads to unsolicited and unwanted messages making lowball offers, or asking about sale prices for comics not for sale.

^^

All my Boston peds are at least 9.4 (not really answering your question).

Why all the secrets? What are you afraid of? Seriously interested hm

So are mine.

:whistle:

:baiting:

I bought a lot (and I mean A LOT) of my pre-hero Marvels directly from Joe in the early 90s -- before they were even called Winnipegs.

He was a very nice guy and we must have spent hours on the phone having him describe each book to me - all intertrined with his opining about the art and the smell of the book. I was as giddy as a school girl when my package arrived from Canada.

One of the first images I posted on these boards was the price list fax that Joe had originally sent me...I was floored when I got it.

Bill

You are one of the few people that has ever described a positive experience with Joe. He can certainly be nice but he has a less than stellar reputation in Winnipeg.

I grew up in winnipeg... and Joe...meh ....Not a fan !!

Pacific Coast books are considered 1st tier pedigrees? I was under the impression they are tarnished as MH2's - being that alot of the collection was newstand overages.

I cant confirm any of this but i read it somewhere (most likely here!)

(tsk)

The Pacific Coast collection is arguably the finest Silver Age pedigree of them all. It is usually ranked on par with if not superior to the Curator pedigree at the pinnacle of SA collections. None of it was found in a warehouse, but rather all were purchased by an original owner, and nearly every issue is represented by only a single copy.

Mentioning MH2 comics in the same sentence is a travesty.

To be fair, the MH2 collection contains the most pristine 600 copy set of Thor 132 found in any pedigree. How many copies of Thor 132 are in the PC collection? 1? 2? Pfffft

Ok, lame reasoning but to each his own...

It`s up to every collector to choose whether they want to disclose what`s in their collection or not.

It`s not for you to criticize them as being "lame" for doing so.

Pacific Coast books are considered 1st tier pedigrees? I was under the impression they are tarnished as MH2's - being that alot of the collection was newstand overages.

I cant confirm any of this but i read it somewhere (most likely here!)

(tsk)

The Pacific Coast collection is arguably the finest Silver Age pedigree of them all. It is usually ranked on par with if not superior to the Curator pedigree at the pinnacle of SA collections. None of it was found in a warehouse, but rather all were purchased by an original owner, and nearly every issue is represented by only a single copy.

Mentioning MH2 comics in the same sentence is a travesty.

To be fair, the MH2 collection contains the most pristine 600 copy set of Thor 132 found in any pedigree. How many copies of Thor 132 are in the PC collection? 1? 2? Pfffft

From the MH2 collection came the first SA book graded 10.0 by CGC, Thor 156.

I believe Rozanski auctioned it off for charity, hammering at 5,000+.

FYI, MH2 is no longer a recognized pedigree by CGC.

It`s up to every collector to choose whether they want to disclose what`s in their collection or not.

I didn't say it was lame not to disclose what is in your collection. I said the reason given for not doing so was lame. I honestly want to know why there is a fear or discomfort in disclosing some of your books or pedigree books online..

Fear of theft from a board member?

I freely post what I own and it's common knowledge who is buying in the sales threads...

Either way, it's cool if they don't want to tell...

I didn't say it was lame not to disclose what is in your collection. I said the reason given for not doing so was lame. I honestly want to know why there is a fear or discomfort in disclosing some of your books or pedigree books online..

I freely post what I own and it's common knowledge who is buying in the sales threads...

There's nothing "lame" about the reason you were given, it just wasn't fully explained.

There are valid reasons for not fully disclosing what one owns. Know what someone owns, and you can often deduce what they need. In this segment of the hobby, most "collectors" are really just dealers when it comes down to it, which explains the rampant pressing or straight flipping of books. While some collectors may openly disclose what they have or need, that's not necessarily the cheapest way to go about filling your want list; punishment bidding, anyone?. Conversely, as I'm sure some of the more prolific registry users will attest, putting your books "out there" leads to unsolicited offers from people looking to buy and sell. Some may not mind that, others may find it annoying or intrusive. Be on the receiving end of punishment or shill bidding, or in a deal where what you need or how you spend is used as leverage against you, and that "lame" excuse might make a little more sense. Do a search, or ask someone to tell you about the jgreene Showcase New England punishment bidding fiasco that occured on Ebay a few years ago. An individual's super-agressive bidding practices where exposed, and it ended up costing him thousands of dollars due to a group of collectors who, either due to fascination, frustration, or boredom, decided to inflict punishment bids to see how far they could push him.

As for the sales threads here, both the buyers and sellers who participate are collectively just a drop in the bucket of the high end market, and a drop in the ocean when looking at the hobby as a whole.

Besides all that, Rosland/Erik has been generous and forthcoming in sharing certain parts of his collection. Fairly recently, for example, he posted scans of his entire run of ultrahigh grade TOS comics featuring Captain America covers. Some examples were from the Boston collection.

There's nothing "lame" about the reason you were given, it just wasn't fully explained.

There are valid reasons for not fully disclosing what one owns. Know what someone owns, and you can often deduce what they need. In this segment of the hobby, most "collectors" are really just dealers when it comes down to it, which explains the rampant pressing or straight flipping of books. While some collectors may openly disclose what they have or need, that's not necessarily the cheapest way to go about filling your want list; punishment bidding, anyone?. Conversely, as I'm sure some of the more prolific registry users will attest, putting your books "out there" leads to unsolicited offers from people looking to buy and sell. Some may not mind that, others may find it annoying or intrusive. Be on the receiving end of punishment or shill bidding, or in a deal where what you need or how you spend is used as leverage against you, and that "lame" excuse might make a little more sense. Do a search, or ask someone to tell you about the jgreene Showcase New England punishment bidding fiasco that occured on Ebay a few years ago. An individual's super-agressive bidding practices where exposed, and it ended up costing him thousands of dollars due to a group of collectors who, either due to fascination, frustration, or boredom, decided to inflict punishment bids to see how far they could push him.

As for the sales threads here, both the buyers and sellers who participate are collectively just a drop in the bucket of the high end market, and a drop in the ocean when looking at the hobby as a whole.

Thanks and that is info I was looking for. Appreciate it!