• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Independent Moderns Make Better TV Shows than Movies?

22 posts in this topic

It seems with the recent AMC release of TWD, a possible Chew TV series and the recent Dreamworks/Fox spin on Locke & Key, more Moderns are going this route. Does everyone feel this is better than having a big budget franchise on IMAX?

I actually prefer a favorite floppy turning to the boob tube myself as most independent moderns today are too cerebral to be condensed in one Smallville-villian-of-the-week movie(Spider-Man 3). I feel their intricate plots and smart characters play better drawn out like they are. It's why, when people ask what trade to start with, most will recommend starting from the beginning to enjoy every aspect of the series and what it has to offer it's readers.

I'm still not sure about TWD The trailer looks good & all but I'm waiting to see the actual show before I decide ... I'm not excited about locke & key until I see a trailer for it as well ...

I do think this stuff could make good for animated tv sereis or what not But not everything fits well IRL

I think Y: The Last Man would make for a good show. I don't know how many episodes they could get out of it since it is finished already, but I think it could work.

I agree. The character development, to me, is very strong in Y, and I think it would translate well to a show with the right casting/writers/etc.

I would love to see a Cerebus animated series.

Some will work better than others. Chew for example, has been done several different ways. It's essentially a psychic detective show. Instead of touching something he eats something. It's nothing very new or exciting.

Locke and Key could be very well done with the right mood and writing.

I would love to see a Cerebus animated series.
Never read an issue, sounds like a great way to be introduced to the character.

Some will work better than others. Chew for example, has been done several different ways. It's essentially a psychic detective show. Instead of touching something he eats something. It's nothing very new or exciting.
Crow: Stairway to Heaven. :sick:

Locke and Key could be very well done with the right mood and writing.
As much as I want to see a $150 million Spielberg production, I think it fits best into television.

I think Y: The Last Man would make for a good show. I don't know how many episodes they could get out of it since it is finished already, but I think it could work.

I agree. The character development, to me, is very strong in Y, and I think it would translate well to a show with the right casting/writers/etc.

A big +1

Y is the best comic I have ever read hands down. The movie is delayed because of the debate between a single movie and a trilogy. TV series seems even better :)

Just depends on the quality of the writer. Preacher is one example where I think it has to be a TV series. A movie just wouldn't pull it together well enough. Bone could either way. A 3-part movie would be awesome, but a TV series would be great too. Goon could be great either way. Northlanders would be a great movie (in the style of a four-part breakdown like Sin City).

I just don't want to get to the point where the TV shows become like some of the garbage movies.

Pat

I think TV Shows are the best option for comic books, because there is plenty of 'room' to develop the story/characters and such.

On the other hand, my main fear with TV Shows is that if the show is profitable, they keep doing seasons and the quality level always drop.

How many TV Shows do you know that you tought '5 Seasons?, man, this show was perfectly ended after the second season. Now, they're doing circles'.?

Preacher is one example where I think it has to be a TV series.

I wish :cloud9:

HBO or Showtime, I think was an option they were exploring at one point.

Yeah it was something I was looking forward to but it seems to have died a death. Shame, it would make a great TV series.