• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Mile High Copy of THAT?

112 posts in this topic

Here are the grades I could find for the Church Suspense run. Very exciting to find out that #3 actually exists! The highest graded copy on the census is still the Crippen pedigree, a VF 8.0 with off-white pages.

Suspense #1, CGC VF+ 8.5

Suspense #2, CGC NM 9.4

Suspense #4, VF/NM 9.0 (Metro)

Suspense #5, CGC NM- 9.2

Suspense #6, CGC VF 8.0

Suspense #9, CGC NM 9.4

Suspense #11, CGC NM 9.4

Suspense #12, CGC VF 8.0

Where has it been all this time?

There has been one well-known high grade copy that is now understood to be the Church copy (it has no code so it took some tracing of ownership to determine its origin).

We all know there were approximately 18,000 books in the collection and when we think of a Mile High book we primarily think of the THOUSANDS of superhero books that comprised the collection.

However, there are thousands of books that are completely off everyone's radar.

I'd be very interested in seeing out of the ordinary Mile High copies. No super-heroes or titles we'd all expect to have been in the collection.

Let's get started with this.

MyRomance3.jpg

Does anyone know what was thrown away?Or at least a good guess?

We all know there were approximately 18,000 books in the collection and when we think of a Mile High book we primarily think of the THOUSANDS of superhero books that comprised the collection.

I'd be very interested in seeing out of the ordinary Mile High copies. No super-heroes or titles we'd all expect to have been in the collection.

MyRomance3.jpg

As I heard it there was a couple big loads of comics thrown away before a deal was made for the rest. And since the older books were on the bottom of the stacks it means the ones tossed probably included books from the late fifties on up, so very possibly runs of Marvel and DC silver age ended up in a Denver dumpster

There has been one well-known high grade copy that is now understood to be the Church copy (it has no code so it took some tracing of ownership to determine its origin).

Bob Overstreet said they he had it for quite a while before it was getting much extra attention.

Didn't Chuck have a master list? Was there a Suspense 3 in there?

Because Suspense Comics #3 was worth very little back in the 70's to early 80's when the Mile High copy of it was sold, the buyer basically forgot it was the Mile High copy. He probably paid less than $80 for it back then! So...when he sold it years later, it was sold as a regular copy. It has resold several times as a regular copy. Only recently did the original purchaser realise it was the Mile High copy.

Who ever owns it now also would not know it is the Mile High copy.

West

MyRomance3.jpg

As I heard it there was a couple big loads of comics thrown away before a deal was made for the rest. And since the older books were on the bottom of the stacks it means the ones tossed probably included books from the late fifties on up, so very possibly runs of Marvel and DC silver age ended up in a Denver dumpster

Thanks (thumbs u

there is no suspense 3 listed on chucks' 1977 catalog list, the other suspense issues are listed

That's what I thought. So why was it omitted from the list, if it really existed?

Because Suspense Comics #3 was worth very little back in the 70's to early 80's when the Mile High copy of it was sold, the buyer basically forgot it was the Mile High copy. He probably paid less than $80 for it back then! So...when he sold it years later, it was sold as a regular copy. It has resold several times as a regular copy. Only recently did the original purchaser realise it was the Mile High copy.

West

I'm curious how this "discovery" was even made, given that you now seem to be indicating that the book has not actually surfaced recently. What was the catalyst for figuring out that it was the MH copy then?

there is no suspense 3 listed on chucks' 1977 catalog list, the other suspense issues are listed

That's what I thought. So why was it omitted from the list, if it really existed?

The "List" is in reality a catalog of what was available for sale some months after the collection was purchased and many books had been sold. Unless the folks working on the pedigree book have produced a list, I'm not aware of any more complete list of Church books.

West

I'm curious how this "discovery" was even made, given that you now seem to be indicating that the book has not actually surfaced recently. What was the catalyst for figuring out that it was the MH copy then?

People had not stopped being interested in locating the Church copy. It's just a case of one person talking to another person and managing to glean enough facts to finally put the picture together.

The "List" is in reality a catalog of what was available for sale some months after the collection was purchased and many books had been sold. Unless the folks working on the pedigree book have produced a list, I'm not aware of any more complete list of Church books.

I have a copy of his original list somewhere. Did anyone ever make a pdf of it and post it on the web?