• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Reeves Superman cape

13 posts in this topic

Folks,

Who's familiar with the capes that were worn by George Reeves in the colorized version of his TV show?

I had a gentleman bring one to me with "Western Costume Co." documnetation. He tried to use it as collateral for cash. I googled the sales of those capes and found conflicting documentation regarding this particular cape.

Apparently, this particular cape was last seen on ebay -this year-but the resrve was not met.

A blogger named De Bord noted that the documentation appeared to be a photocopy of an original letter. Both letters identified the cape as real. However, the signature on the photocopy did not match the sig. on the letter-both dated 12-29-75.

Anyone know more?

Jamie

George Reeves color Superman costume 1953 to 1957 [there was a black and white costume made for b and w t,v 1951. Was mfg by Western costume company which at that particular period of time mfg most of hollywoods costume props. The labels are white and red and sewn on the costume in little x fashion.they are on the tunic trunk and cape AND LEGGINGS..This does not establish autheticity however as these labels have been known to be manufactured after the fact. Many authentic costumes dont have labels at all as they were used for other production purposes over the years and the labels came off or were taken off over a 50 year period of time.A high resolution scan pic would be necc to compare the threading pattern of the costume to an authentic costume.The S emblem is also sewn on with little x all around the S emblem.The cape is attached to the top of the costume itself.The costume is NOT one piece . It is 4 separate pieces , tunic trunk leggings and cape.The tunic wraps around under the pelvis area and attached to the back to hold the tunic down and from comming out over the trunks.There is a company that sort of, how shall I say it? Carbon dates costumes....They scientifically validate that the costume is consistant[the material used to make the costume] with that particular time period.Both Dave anderson and I used the company to validate our costumes in addition to certs of authenticity from the previous owners.PROVENENCE IS EVERYTHING..tHE SOURCE THAT YOUR BUYING IT FROM.....Jason Debord runs a website that helps to authenticate hollywood props and in my understanding is more familiar with Chris Reeves costumes than George Reeeves costumes. Jim Hambrick is the Ultimate Authority on George Reevs costumes with 50 years of experience and owns more G reeves costumes than anybody. Costumes he got directly from the shows special effects producer Sol himself.. He can be reached at the supermuseum.com. Jim knows the patterns colors and measurements of the costumes better than anyone.Who is the letter of authenticity from?

The cape itself has to be a certain length and width which is known amongst collectors of this era,

Peter

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/

interesting, the cert you mention is analized on this site..

Normally I'm not one for pointing out spelling glitches, but I couldn't let this one go. Just epic! lol

Buttock analyzing analized. Wondermous!

His university education has now paid for itself.