• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most sought-after Copper Age Batman books

153 posts in this topic

Mine had Red Bull, it gives u wings ha ha.

I think both had it shares of hits and misses during this time. I think the earlier ASM from this time was solid however towards the end of the copper age it got watered down as Marvel kept using the same couple of characters over and over (Venom for example). I still feel that Spidey's rogues gallery is under used. I loved spidey from 228-320 especially in the 250 range.

Batman was also solid, I enjoyed the series during that time.

other than the occasional stupid issue (frogman, something where a kid turned into a super hero and a few others) spidey had some fine plots/stories in the 200s. the art was pretty generic (though spidey was never a title that needed the top notch artists to work on it, though Byrne did some nice ones in the 70's)

For some reason, Spidey really, really suffered until Roger Stern created Hobgoblin and gave the series focus again. Most of the issues between about #150-#238 are generally unfocused, and not nearly as good as what came before, or after. There are bright spots (#194, #200, #229-230.)

As a long time Spidey reader, I totally agree with this. Up until the Hobgoblin, the book lacked the tension it needed and at times resembled Spidey Super Stories more than the ASM I grew up with.

But boy, they sure ran that Hobgoblin thing into the ground!

BTW, Anybody else here love the Ron Frenz issues?

Using the aforementioned example...the high price fr Spiey #129 in 9.8is $14K+. The high price for Batman #227 in 9.8 is $13K+. Just considering those numbers, that means Spidey #129 is only a little more in demand than Batman #227, right?

------------------

so these two basically sell for roughly the same in 9.8 and you're saying it beats it hands down?

That's exactly what I'm saying. Please understand what those numbers mean.

quantity was not part of my point (we're not talking about the "what if" scenario of everyone stockpiling batmans in 1972 like early collectors were doing with spidermans), indeed the batmans have that extra bit of demand nowadays in part because they are not quite as common (plus neal adams is hot now). true, were these competently done nick cardy covers on these batmans/detectives folks would care less, at least for the big money books.

:makepoint:

Do you really not understand the impact availability has on value...?

Of course, but you seem to be more concerned with the "what if" scenario of equal #s of bats vs. spideys, I'm talking about the "reality" scenario. You can't discount the whole market for these books by saying "they'd be 50 cent books if they were as common as spideys".

Of course I can! That's been proven hundreds, if not thousands, of times over! Every single time a "formerly rare" book becomes more common, the price has always, always, always gone down. In fact, I don't think there's a single example of a book that has increased in the census (let's use a conservative "by 50% or more"), but gone UP in value, or even MAINTAINED its value.

If it's true for 99.99% of every book that exists, why do you think it's not reasonable to extrapolate that out to 99.995%?

(And I'm not saying they'd be 50 cent books...but they'd certainly not be more than $100 books.)

These Bat books have become more popular price/demand-wise "recently" (like in the last 10 years) in part because they are (a bit) less common than their spidey (and other marvel) counterparts, plus some good movies helped. Maybe I'll list 50 bronze Bats vs. 50 Bronze Spideys at 75% of OPG in my store (with the best offer option, of course) and see what sells more/faster. It won't prove anything, of course. Problem is, it may be skewed in that I probably have a bigger % of higher grade spidey books.

That's why you can't use a single set of data to discuss these things, but have to look at the market as a whole.

And the market as a whole has resoundingly said that, grade for grade, book for book, apples for apples, pound for pound, Spiderman outsells Batman by a very, very large margin, from Poor to Mint, from 1963 to 1995 and even beyond.

Whatever works for you. I'm fine either way as I have a lot more BA spideys than bats.

SatJul10003846EDT2010.jpg

Here is one of my favorite Copper age books , now I need a Bat 366 to go along with it

You have the 'Tec #532, I have the Bats #366 hm

Two great books. I wonder if they are the highest graded copies, anyone?

Two great covers of atwo part story. At first I wasn't sure where to post it since some people claim that the Bronze age has expanded to the early 80s

Here is one of my favorite Copper age books , now I need a Bat 366 to go along with it

Two great covers of atwo part story. At first I wasn't sure where to post it since some people claim that the Bronze age has expanded to the early 80s

Oh yeah. This is a Copper book.

(thumbs u

FriSep24130209EDT2010.jpg

Now that is one of my favorite covers, along with the Tec 570.

:applause:

One of my favorites too. Hopefully I get to complete all my 80s Joker covers soon enough. A few of these were in my boxes for years. I can't believe I have Bat issues in the 9.something grade or up that have been in my collections for all this time.

This was my first copy, sold it to land a Universal 9.8 which is on its way :cloud9:

Batman366.jpg

This was my first copy, sold it to land a Universal 9.8 which is on its way :cloud9:

Batman366.jpg

I would have had a hard time letting this go, a SS by walter, nice!

I do actually really regret letting that one go, but after I set up my new 'boundaries' of 9.8 only and no SS it just didn't fit in. I wasn't happy with <9.8 in CA/MA and SS was just eating up all of my lowly budget so I had to do something. Some of them I wish I'd kept now, others I don't miss so much, but this is definitely one of the 'misses'.

The one thing I didnt like about the recent Dark Knight film was that they did away with the colorful costumes. The 89' film with Jack blows it away.

And the coloful costumes are part of the Joker's character that make him great.