• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Walking Dead #75 Sketch Cover Thread

66 posts in this topic

the wd is hot because of the show and it's a great series as well.

i just disagree with practices like they are using to sell the books.

maybe i am just blind to "usual business practices" and i'm not worried about maximum profits with the books i publish. really printing costs suck depending on where you go.

they probably paid @ $4-5 MAX per copy, more likely would be $2-3.50 each. What i have a problem with is Kirkman and the rest of the creative team are seeing NONE of the extra $$ that Ultimate is getting for the books.

Screwing the fans and the creators to me is just plain wrong just to make more money.

So i nominate Ultimate Comics as Grade-A D icks of the year.

and they were a bunch of d icks for inflating the prices to $50 each at the con.

I stopped by and talked to the guy working there. Not the owner.

I told him that the copy I got in the mail was a 9.6 and asked if I could trade for a 9.8 copy. I think he was afraid to just swap one out for me.

He told me I'd have to talk to the owner and that the owner was real weird and crazy about that book. The owner didn't like that so many people got the book for so cheap. After I heard him say this, I never went back.

He also told me they brought 100 copies to the show and a dealer offered to buy whatever was left at the end of the con for $50 per book. That's why they weren't willing to lower the price.

So what does the front cover look like anyway?

wd-1.jpg

for any more info on this i suggest you check out the original thread that Dan created: Walking Dead #75 BLANK - Ultimate Comics Exclusive

Damn, there isnt much room at all!

Unfortunately complaining about the problem won't work even boycotting them won't work. I think another group producing a walking dead blank for a reasonable price will stop ultimate comics in their tracks

True, however, I doubt they sold all 100 copies. When I was at their booth on Sunday they still had "plenty" left. I only know of a few that bought one or two copies of the blanks.

As fars as a promoter buying the entire bash...never heard such thing from anyone selling the books at the booth. Although, they were somewhat pushy when it came to buying a blank Buy Two Get One Free. All I wanted was to spend $5 on one, and they were hustling trying to sell me other junk.

an email below from Jon, of Ultimate Comics.

------------------

lol that link was great all that just making stuff up and name calling

you guys are a breed of your own... they do not even know what the are talking

about and neither do you apparently.... we sold plenty of the damaged ones

before Image committed on the reprint....Plenty of people in our stores bought

them not caring about the damaged copy's for $4.00 so they are out there

being sold! They are in my warehouse...sitting there...we have copied your

threads and will be making an official response to the comments and attacks with

an press release for all to see and set the record straight ....the concept of

a free market seems to be lost on you.

Jon Newman, MGR

Alan Gill, President

Ultimate Comics

105 W HWY 54 #229

Durham NC 27707

(919)806-8282

-------------------------------------

Now...speaking for myself...I felt as a customer taken advantage of.

I was told by the guy at the UC booth that these were $50 firm, and that there was no wiggle room...and that (his words) "A retailer came over, offered to buy out the balance of the WD 75 sketch cover stock at the end of the show." So whatever didn't sell was all going to that one retailar. $50 a book now, take it or leave it.

And yet on Sunday, they were buy 2 get 1 free.

I bought six copies at that $50 a pop price, mostly for a friend who asked me to pick some up, but had I waited till Sunday......

Has this guy lost all sense of reality?? Does he not know that people are hearing about his dirty sales tactics?

I would pay $15 max, which is what they originally were selling for. If a 100 got damaged from a 1,000 print run, so be it. It still doesn't justify rasing the price 500% . You still have 900 books...okay...821. probably what's left from the sales.

IT's the worst move WD has ever made. So much so that it has tainted collecting the series for me since I can't complete it without buy one of those fugly overpriced blanks. Here's hoping it never hits the registry.

I suggest that anyone who feels the need to write UC directly (or call) you should have at it.

This was in my mailbox today ---I guess we are just five lonely guys.

-------------------

lol as far as losing customers

you are talking about like 5 lonely guys....we have sold to alot more people

who we VERY happy with the book fyi your argument just make no sense anyway

EVERY retailer in the country was selling the retailer variant for $50 the day

it came out....and these are RARER.... so uh zip it you have lost all

respect at this point. Jon Newman, MGR

Alan Gill, President

Ultimate Comics

105 W HWY 54 #229

Durham NC 27707

(919)806-8282

ultimatecomicsonline@yahoo.com

I suggest that anyone who feels the need to write UC directly (or call) you should have at it.

This was in my mailbox today ---I guess we are just five lonely guys.

-------------------

it came out.

Ummm NO they weren't

...and these are RARER :ohnoez: especially when it's publicized that the the entire run is damaged :ohnoez: and they will be reprinted :ohnoez: while still selling copies on ebay. :eyeroll:

.... so uh zip it you have lost all

respect at this point. Jon Newman, MGR

Alan Gill, President

Ultimate Comics

105 W HWY 54 #229

Durham NC 27707

(919)806-8282

You should probably zip it. He's like a PRESIDENT :whistle: and Presidents are elected by the people and that means he's got a MANDATE. No, not the kind of mandate where they whisper sweet nothings across a candlelit table at each other, the kind where they can tell people to zip it and you better dern tootin' do it. :o

------------------

lol that link was great all that just making stuff up and name calling

you guys are a breed of your own... they do not even know what the are talking

about and neither do you apparently.... we sold plenty of the damaged ones

before Image committed on the reprint....Plenty of people in our stores bought

them not caring about the damaged copy's for $4.00 so they are out there

being sold! They are in my warehouse...sitting there...we have copied your

threads and will be making an official response to the comments and attacks with

an press release for all to see and set the record straight ....the concept of

a free market seems to be lost on you.

Jon Newman, MGR

Alan Gill, President

Ultimate Comics

105 W HWY 54 #229

Durham NC 27707

(919)806-8282

-------------------------------------

it came out....and these are RARER.... so uh zip it you have lost all

respect at this point.

Jon Newman, MGR

Alan Gill, President

Ultimate Comics

105 W HWY 54 #229

Durham NC 27707

(919)806-8282

Interesting. hm Here are some comments:

1.) The entire 1st print run of 1000 comics were damaged. Not 100. If it was only 100 he's lying in his eBay descriptions and the e-mails sent to customers who pre-ordered the comic.

2.) I'm sure he did sell some of the damaged ones for $4. So why not sell more of them on eBay to people who don't care about high grade at that low price? (shrug)

If he can't due to an agreement with Image to get a new print run, he should destroy the old ones. Keeping them seems shady. (Like Robojoe having multiple eBay accounts + alias's to sell them later for more profit shady.)

3.) He has every right to charge whatever price he wants. But people have every right to call him a :censored: for doing so.

4.) Calling people lonely because they are discussing comics and prices of a comic book on a message board is not a good business strategy for a comic book store owner. Yeah, post a link to this thread so all your customers can see how you really feel about comic book fans. (thumbs u

5.) The RESPECT comment to Rich bothers me the most. In my previous post in this thread I talked about my experience with an employee at the Baltimore Comic Con. You lose respect as a business when you have POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

You sent me a damaged comic, and the response I got from your employee was that you have a problem with the people who got the book cheap and he couldn't just swap one for another. So I get poor customer service, even though at the time of sale I paid your full price. :screwy:

6.) Contacting him or sending e-mails is pointless in this kind of situation. Just don't buy from him in the future and move on. If you really want to vent, you'd be better off contacting Kirkman himself. I'm sure there are plenty of other stores he could do business with in the future. 2c

:thumbsup:

And yes, all five of us lonesum guys are the only ones sitting here...waiting patiently to buy their entire stock after the Baltimore Show.

What a joke. This guy is full of it. They're prices are outrageous. The e-mail response doesn't even make sense. Has he ever heard of proofreading his e-mails before he sends it out?

I feel like telling him to pound sand and tell everyone that I know not to shop at his store because of his lame tactics.