• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question from a new collector

8 posts in this topic

a) you always need to look at the book itself to see if it fits the label

b) compare and compare and compare....

the more books you can look at, the more you can learn what a good 9.0 or a bad 9.0 looks like.

go register at www.ha.com

they have a huge database of past auctions on many books with huge scans...look at them, study them, and remember them.

given 2 different books with the same grade, you can differentiate on page quality, wrapping, colors, types of defects, etc...too many really but the most important thing you can do for yourself is knowing what defects you can and can't live with.

a 9.0 will have visible defects such as a small color loss corner crease, or small blunt corner, or rounded corner(s), etc...

I hate color loss corner crease so I rather buy a 9.0 with a few small spine ticks instead of the small corner crease.

wow thanks for the information.

so basically if i am going to purchase a 9.0, there will be visible defects - i just have to see which defects i am able to bear with.

if i dont care for visible defects, it would be best if i tried for a 9.4?

even a 9.4 will have visible defect...I have a few 9.4 in slabs with slightly one rounded corner..not a crease but the corner is no longer razor sharp.

or one color loss tick on the spine around 1/4 inch or larger while the rest is sharp can also be in a 9.4 slab.

I have been collecting since 1963 and I have neverr seen a book wothout SOME defect. It depends on what you define as a defect. Yes there are the grading rules that determine the grade a book gets but all that really matters is what YOU can live with.