• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just freed my Silver Surfer #4 from it's slab!!!

60 posts in this topic

I think CGC took one look at the long crease in the LRC and immediately dropped it into VG/FN territory. Not saying that's dead-on, mind you; looks better than a VG+, but that crease is awfully big and distracting.

Anyhoo, you emancipated the book, which I'm sure made both you and it feel a little better...!

I see one large crease, some vertical wear close to the spine, other general light wear to the front cover, biro marks. If everything else was perfect, top grade would be FN-. Probably there is other wear to the back cover that has dragged it down to VG+.

Nice 'solid' book though. Wish I owned it. I've had to make do with the re-prints in Fantasy Masterpeices.

By the way, in the UK, prices for CGC books at shows are never less that their equivalent in raw.

I think Currin's comment about it being worth more raw was tied directly to his belief that without that CGC label proclaiming it to be a VG+, most prospective buyers would consider it to be higher in grade and therefore might pay more...

By the way, in the UK, prices for CGC books at shows are never less that their equivalent in raw.

Prices for CGC books in the US aren't less than their equivalent in raw either...

It's prices for CGC 4.5 that might be less than prices for raw "apparent" 6.5. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Respectfully I must dissent here only in part: There is ink markings on cover, and that crease caught my eye first. Without seeing the comic in person, and only using your scan, I would grade this comic around VG/F 5.0. There could be 5 CGC graders who "average" grade this book at VG 4.5, and 5 of us who average 6.0. Some comics just cannot be pinpointed to ONE GRADE due to the subjectivity factoring. All would be "close" to grade, and I honestly believe that being "close" is far, far important than over-analyzing and getting PO'd over a grade. Now if the comic in question is NM-9.2 and NM+ 9.6, then the seriousness of grading can be taken at the next level.

You have a nice comic there and hope you enjoy it. That particular cover got many votes for the Cover of the Silver Age I saw somewhere. Supposedly Marvel had the smaller print run for # 4, as the sales records either were not back yet in time for production and/or publishers deliberately start cutting back print runs in case the comic tanks. This Series did not tank and is still going strong.

Grading can be both frustrating and fun. Been there on both sides as well. Take care!

CAL hi.gif

Maybe it's my computer, but I am having a hard time seeing this big crease everyone is talking bout confused-smiley-013.gif

Where does the crease start 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

its there, faint but there.

Not much color break? does it go all way to bottom edge?

And please Currin .. turn down the contrast!, my pc is bleeding color as it oozes off your cover..

did you bump up the color and contrast for our viewing pleasure?

27_laughing.gif,

Either way its a nice copy.

I too have one that is either a solid 5.0, or depending on how they grade a few right edge chip creases it is a 7.5-8.0

Not sure I am gona gamble on it.And was this the first time you cracked a slab open? , was it hard for you to free your comic without damage?

Zeman

That's not the point. The front cover alone grades the comic at a maximum of FN-. Unless the back cover is MINT (and the rest of the comic, for that matter), any other fault whatsoever must reduce the grade further (OK, I accept that if the fault is really minor then the grade might still be FN-).

I have seen other people say things like 'shouldn't nice QP add to the grade of the comic ?'. This is a fallacy. Good things about a comic do not increase the grade. Only faults affect the grade, and that is always downwards.

The crease on the right-hand side of the cover is below the Surfer's Board - or take Thor's eyes - imagine a vertical straight line across to the other side of the cover - the top of the crease is there. The crease runs horizontal towards the center of the comic - about 20% and lands in between the center of the comic and the right corner.

I noticed this right away. There are other creases on the left side near the square-bound spine.

CAL hi.gif

I would never think Currincomics would do such a thing. He is just upset about the difference of opinion of the grade. He appears to still enjoy owning the fine comic!

CAL hi.gif

Are you insinuating that currincomics would dare to tell a prospective buyer that a raw book is 6.5 when he knows that CGC have graded the book at 4.5 ?

That's almost the same as selling a (known) PLOD as unrestored...

Absolutely not. I'm insinuating that the concept of freeing it from the slab

because a "raw" 4.5 is worth more than a CGC 4.5 isn't exactly true...

therefore I am confused by currincomics' freeing reasoning. grin.gif