• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Us Your Copper Age 1st Appearance Slabs...

134 posts in this topic

I always felt this was the end of the Copper Age, but some here felt strongly it was the release of Image Comics. Supes 75 seems to have a much larger impact on the industry.

Is the release date right, though? CGC's label always shows January, 1993 as the release date.

Cover dated January, 1993. Book was released to the stands November 18, 1992.

November 20. :gossip:

Is the release date right, though? CGC's label always shows January, 1993 as the release date.

No, CGC's label always shows the cover date. The cover date is the "pull" month for news vendors to pull the old books off sale to return for credit. It varied between 2-3 months after release for the bulk of comics history, and was standardized in 1988 by DC, and 1989 by Marvel, at 2 months. The current comics coming out now from those two publishers, for example, will now have a November, 2010 cover date.

Details, Bosco, details.

No, CGC's label always shows the cover date. The cover date is the "pull" month for news vendors to pull the old books off sale to return for credit. It varied between 2-3 months after release for the bulk of comics history, and was standardized in 1988 by DC, and 1989 by Marvel, at 2 months. The current comics coming out now from those two publishers, for example, will now have a November, 2010 cover date.

Details, Bosco, details.

This post just broke my "Pedantic-o-Meter." :cry:

1st appearance of Darkhawk

4911414013_cd080b417d_b.jpg

1st appearance of Grendel

4819315304_69c3e80ae2_b.jpg

1st appearance of He-Man and Skeletor

4580255726_46ec85aaf8_o.jpg

1st appearance of Cloak & Dagger (I need to upgrade this one!)

3235788682_7ecfe6b457_b.jpg

1st appearance of Killer Kroc and Jason Todd

3809077139_8dd6dd7a6b_b.jpg

Details, Bosco, details.

lol

You're such a dork sometimes - but a funny dork at that.

Details, Bosco, details.

It should have. It was designed that way. Duh.

:popcorn:

IMG_2766.jpg

Holy Moly! :o

What do you mean, holy moly?

You commented on this book back when I got it back in May.

Did I? hm

I guess it was so surprising, I didn't believe I actually saw it then. :sorry:

One and only, self-subbed.

Bought raw on eBay in January, shipped in a large Flat Rate priority box, wrapped in a couple of pieces of tissue paper. Yes, that's it.

How it survived, I'll never know.

Details, Bosco, details.

It should have. It was designed that way. Duh.

:popcorn:

My hero!

:cloud9:

I always felt this was the end of the Copper Age, but some here felt strongly it was the release of Image Comics. Supes 75 seems to have a much larger impact on the industry.

Cover dated January, 1993. Book was released to the stands November 18, 1992.

November 20. :gossip:

Weren't new comics released on Wednesdays back then? (shrug)