• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Us Your Copper Age 1st Appearance Slabs...

134 posts in this topic

I always felt this was the end of the Copper Age, but some here felt strongly it was the release of Image Comics. Supes 75 seems to have a much larger impact on the industry.

Is the release date right, though? CGC's label always shows January, 1993 as the release date.

Superman752276.jpg

Well if that counts, so does this.

BatmanVengenaceofBane.jpg

It was actually November 20th. Comics were still being released on Fridays, not Wednesdays. I know you remember that. ;)

This is actually something that I could probably get behind, though it would take convincing.

Look, the Copper age, to all those suggesting 1992 wasn't part of it, simply cannot have ended before then. Look at 1968. Did the Silver Age end with the Marvel flood? No. It was the last great hurrah of the age. Likewise, Image, Spidey #1, X-Men #1, X-Force #1, Valiant...those are all the last great hurrah of the Copper Age. The peak of it. They aren't modern any more than Crisis is modern. They "fit", in style, tone, storytelling, with everything that had gone before in the 80's...not the 90's.

If anything the Crash heralded a new age.

You do know your stuff!

I always felt this was the end of the Copper Age, but some here felt strongly it was the release of Image Comics. Supes 75 seems to have a much larger impact on the industry.

Is the release date right, though? CGC's label always shows January, 1993 as the release date.

Superman752276.jpg

Well if that counts, so does this.

BatmanVengenaceofBane.jpg

somehow I've never seen that bane cover before. What a great Fabry piece!

Cover dated January, 1993. Book was released to the stands November 18, 1992.

November 20. :gossip:

Weren't new comics released on Wednesdays back then? (shrug)

Nope. Friday it was. (thumbs u

No.

Fridays. Until about 1996.

No.

Thanks for the info. I actually didn't know/remember that.

We got them two weeks later here, anyway. We still do, actually. :P

No.

IIRC comics in this area ( Chicago, IL ) were released on Thursdays. I always figured that the reason for that was because comics were printed at World Color Press in Sparta IL. Maybe one of the other locals here can offer a clearer picture?

:whee:

1st appearance of the Mystery Men

(exactly 2 slabs on the census, this is the single highest... the other is 9.4)

CGC96FlamingCarrot16.jpg

(Special thanks to Bonds25 for letting this one leave his collection!) (worship)

That copy looks great. I can't wait to get mine back from Dragon Con!!