• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the board

38 posts in this topic

Bill,

Welcome to the boards! It will be great to hear perspective on the hobby from a collector with such a definitive collection. The gallery of art you have on display on CAF (and formerly on your own website) is certainly one of the highlights. :cloud9:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and stories!

Lee

Chris - I love your signature. My offer is this.... nothing!!

Shane - Love that piece as well, thank you. Thanks Hari !!

Dino - Glad to hear that you still have the piece. Hate selling to someone that claims that they got to have it and then months later see it on someone else's gallery, not saying you but in general.

Hari - Yeah, love the piece I got from you. It's been so long that I forget what TQ pg you have. We need to more than talk....we need to close the deal.

Dem1138 - Not much history or drama, Ken Danker used to own it before me and I've just got done buying the FF 55 cover from someone and was actually buying some pieces from Danker and saw that he had the 340 on his website so i asked him about it. He kept saying that in order for him to sell it, it would have to be "life changing $" so I kind of backed off. Many days later he comes back to me about it and this went on for a while and all of the sudden a deal was struck. To my knowledge, there were no other takers for the cover, maybe he did have some people interested but back then, what he wanted, was a lot of $$.... I didn't think it was that high and that is why I own it and looking back now, it was actually cheap hehe!!

There is one person that haunts me for this cover and it's not Matthew. He has offered me >125K cash on the spot for the 340 and over 110K for my Uncanny 275 but I'm not selling them. They are my babies, I'm not in this just for the $$, I truly love the art I buy and I display them with pride. I guess I'm very fortunate that I don't have to buy/sell/trade to raise enough $ for other pieces or grails and that is why, usually when I buy a significant piece, this piece won't see the market for a long long time if ever.

Blowout - Thank you so much. I actually do not have many stories to tell, most of my art were offered to me privately. Very few of the pieces I own, I went after it. I guess many people knew that I was the new guy with $$$ to spend so I was offered just about everything under the sun, some thinking that they made a great deal and I'm sure, some of them thought that they overcharged me but look who is laughing now !! My philosophy was always this: You'll never pry a great piece of art out of someone's collection if you low ball him but you have a great chance of getting it if you overpay a little and sometimes even a lot. And I didn't mind overpaying for the piece since I knew that I wouldn't sell this piece for years to come if ever and by then, this piece would have gone way up in value, way surpassing what you paid for it. I have many examples to back this up like:

Sotheby's 1992, bought the entire X-Men #1 for 44K, people thought I was stupid and crazy. ASM #69 was up for auction and just about no one bid on it, FF 55, Hulk 340... hell just about every big piece I have, I overpaid but I'm sure glad I did today!!

You are not going to buy a grail type piece and expect get a bargain for it unless the person you are buying from is not aware of the market.

Antithesis - thanks a lot.

Dan Forman - How are you? How are your boys? I still have the train table you sent me, keeping it for my grandkids, if I'm lucky to have some.

Dino - Glad to hear that you still have the piece. Hate selling to someone that claims that they got to have it and then months later see it on someone else's gallery, not saying you but in general.

Hey Bill

Good to see you on here.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=121163&GSub=18116

Just wanted to say, still enjoying it today (and every day!)

:whee:

[

Blowout - Thank you so much. I actually do not have many stories to tell, most of my art were offered to me privately. Very few of the pieces I own, I went after it. I guess many people knew that I was the new guy with $$$ to spend so I was offered just about everything under the sun, some thinking that they made a great deal and I'm sure, some of them thought that they overcharged me but look who is laughing now !! My philosophy was always this: You'll never pry a great piece of art out of someone's collection if you low ball him but you have a great chance of getting it if you overpay a little and sometimes even a lot. And I didn't mind overpaying for the piece since I knew that I wouldn't sell this piece for years to come if ever and by then, this piece would have gone way up in value, way surpassing what you paid for it. I have many examples to back this up like:

Sotheby's 1992, bought the entire X-Men #1 for 44K, people thought I was stupid and crazy. ASM #69 was up for auction and just about no one bid on it, FF 55, Hulk 340... hell just about every big piece I have, I overpaid but I'm sure glad I did today!!

You are not going to buy a grail type piece and expect get a bargain for it unless the person you are buying from is not aware of the market.

See Bill? This is why I don't sell you anything any more! Every time I think I think I've hit the top of the market, one of my piece ends up in your collection and then a few year later I realize you took advantage of me! :makepoint:

Scott Williams

[

See Bill? This is why I don't sell you anything any more! Every time I think I think I've hit the top of the market, one of my piece ends up in your collection and then a few year later I realize you took advantage of me! :makepoint:

Scott Williams

Wait a minute, aside from X-Men #1, you didn't see me mention any other pieces I bought from you, did you? I didn't because they are still catching up to market price hehe!!

Just sent you an e-mail.

Hey Bill

Good to see you on here.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=121163&GSub=18116

Just wanted to say, still enjoying it today (and every day!)

:whee:

Cheekyj2112 = Mel - Long time no see Mel, glad that you still have that cover. Love it, regret selling to you since after that cover, I bought 2 other Horizon covers but because I sold this one, I didn't keep the others either.

Your fault hehe!!

Dem1138 - Not much history or drama, Ken Danker used to own it before me and I've just got done buying the FF 55 cover from someone and was actually buying some pieces from Danker and saw that he had the 340 on his website so i asked him about it. He kept saying that in order for him to sell it, it would have to be "life changing $" so I kind of backed off. Many days later he comes back to me about it and this went on for a while and all of the sudden a deal was struck. To my knowledge, there were no other takers for the cover, maybe he did have some people interested but back then, what he wanted, was a lot of $$.... I didn't think it was that high and that is why I own it and looking back now, it was actually cheap hehe!!

There is one person that haunts me for this cover and it's not Matthew. He has offered me >125K cash on the spot for the 340 and over 110K for my Uncanny 275 but I'm not selling them. They are my babies, I'm not in this just for the $$, I truly love the art I buy and I display them with pride. I guess I'm very fortunate that I don't have to buy/sell/trade to raise enough $ for other pieces or grails and that is why, usually when I buy a significant piece, this piece won't see the market for a long long time if ever.

Bill,

Thank you for sharing! Being from Philly, I had heard your name through the years and we've corresponded via e-mail several times. Do you still own a comic shop?

You followed a buying strategy that has served several collectors very well -- you were lucky enough and smart enough to start collecting a long time ago (compared to many of us) when this art was still available for the taking - and you were willing to pay what it was going to take to get it.

I had never heard that Danker had the cover on his site - but I can certainly believe that while others may have inquired about it, few were willing to step up to the plate and make a real offer. Congrats again!

--David

Bill,

Thank you for sharing! Being from Philly, I had heard your name through the years and we've corresponded via e-mail several times. Do you still own a comic shop?

You followed a buying strategy that has served several collectors very well -- you were lucky enough and smart enough to start collecting a long time ago (compared to many of us) when this art was still available for the taking - and you were willing to pay what it was going to take to get it.

I had never heard that Danker had the cover on his site - but I can certainly believe that while others may have inquired about it, few were willing to step up to the plate and make a real offer. Congrats again!

--David

Yes I do David. Comicmania is in it's 20th year and at the end of the year, we are moving the store to a much better shopping center 2 miles away from where it is now. It's going to be a very classy looking store, like Barnes and Noble but will be just carrying comicbooks, TPB's , back issues, toys, statues from Bowen and Sideshow and we will even have a large space designated for people to play Magic the Gathering.

Wish I had started even earlier, the stuff was so cheap back then, it was almost free !! Unfortunately, I stopped buying OA right after Sotheby's in 1992 and only started buying again 8-10 years ago, wish I didn't stop for all those years.

Bill,

--David

Yes I do David. Comicmania is in it's 20th year and at the end of the year, we are moving the store to a much better shopping center 2 miles away from where it is now. It's going to be a very classy looking store, like Barnes and Noble but will be just carrying comicbooks, TPB's , back issues, toys, statues from Bowen and Sideshow and we will even have a large space designated for people to play Magic the Gathering.

Wish I had started even earlier, the stuff was so cheap back then, it was almost free !! Unfortunately, I stopped buying OA right after Sotheby's in 1992 and only started buying again 8-10 years ago, wish I didn't stop for all those years.

Bill,

Sounds like a great new shop, and you're old one wasn't too shabby to begin with. I always enjoyed coming down to visit, when I lived in Philly. Good times.

David, Bill came back into the hobby around when I did, and he took some real risks. I admired the way in which he came back into the hobby, and he always exuded a "true fan" mentality which was refreshing and contagious.

Bill, I have the Thanos Quest page from issue one where he acquires the very first Infinity Gem, on the way to forming the Gauntlet. Those stories were great, and I reallly wish someone could do another truly great Thanos storyline. The time is right!

Hari

Bill,

--David

I've been to Comicmania. Live about 2 miles from there. Where are you planning to move?

Hasta,

Pablo

Bill,

--David

I've been to Comicmania. Live about 2 miles from there. Where are you planning to move?

Hasta,

Pablo

Moving to Kirkwood Plaza. where Kohl's, Petco and AC Moore is on Kirkwood Hwy. We will be 2 doors down from Cafe Napoli. We plan to open by mid-December if everything goes smoothly with the existing tenant and landlord.

Hey

this is Steve and I live in Chicago. Started really getting into comic art about 3 years ago. It really seems like a hobby that no one understands unless they are in it. I still get comics, I still go to cons and even pick up a statue or toy once in a while.

Here's my gallery!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=24286

Try to collect one nice piece of art from every artist that I like. This means trading up at times.

Right now a Byrne FF page is on my radar. It wouldn't seem right to own 1 thing from Byrne and it not be FF.

I like the oddball characters - Machine Man, MODOK, Man Thing or anything that begins with M.

If you see anything with guys like Black Goliath, ROM or Stingray let me know.

I also like to get drunk once in a while and listen to some loud music.