• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For me, The Copper Age began....

129 posts in this topic

I think for me, it was Miller's run on Daredevil... all through the years that would come to be known as the Copper Age, that was the book that seemed to set the tone. It was the first book, or series of books where the artist was more important, collectability wise, than the character or events portrayed within it. He followed it up with Batman :The Dark Knight, and Year One, and there was Mike Grell on Warlord, Green Arrow and Jon Sable, Freelance, Perez on Teen Titans, and Wonder Woman, and John Byrne's run on the X-Men, and Tim Truman on Scout and Grim Jack... Yeah, Frank Miller started the Copper Age for me.

I think for me, it was Miller's run on Daredevil... all through the years that would come to be known as the Copper Age, that was the book that seemed to set the tone. It was the first book, or series of books where the artist was more important, collectability wise, than the character or events portrayed within it. He followed it up with Batman :The Dark Knight, and Year One, and there was Perez on Teen Titans, and Wonder Woman, and John Byrne's run on the X-Men, and Tim Truman on Scout and Grim Jack... Yeah, Frank Miller started the Copper Age for me.

.....I stupidly left that out.....It was his shoes that so many others sought to fill. I would also think that if Miller and Byrne were the bricks, Alan Moore was the mortar. I came back to collecting after noticing Byrne and Miller books on a 7-11 spinner rack. Something about those spinner racks created a type of vortex that kept pulling old farts like me back into the hobby. I miss 'em. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

To me the Copper age is defined by the comics outside the Marvel/DC world. It was the first great third party boom. Sure, there were third party comics before, and a handful of them had been large successful companies like Dell, Archie, EC, and Warren. The Copper age was a time when no genre was off limits and the small publisher with a single biannual title got as much recognition as Batman and Superman did. To me it ended right around the time Malibu bought up a bunch of smaller B&W publishers, Image came about, and gimmick covers took over mainstream comics.

Totally agree about Alan Moore... the rest of the above mentioned books were all art -oriented as far as at-the-time discussions went, but Alan Moore's Swamp Thing was ALWAYS mentioned at some point, as being the series to READ, the series that would make you not even care if the art was good, bad, or mediocre. And Swamp Thing had some GREAT artists, they were just completely eclipsed by Moore's storytelling. then, along came Gaiman, and his version of Sandman, and it was ON! Jamie Delano on Hellblazer was quite a big draw, writer wise, as well. What it all boils down to, is the Copper Age was an incredible time to be a comic collector :D

Totally agree about Alan Moore... the rest of the above mentioned books were all art -oriented as far as at-the-time discussions went, but Alan Moore's Swamp Thing was ALWAYS mentioned at some point, as being the series to READ, the series that would make you not even care if the art was good, bad, or mediocre. And Swamp Thing had some GREAT artists, they were just completely eclipsed by Moore's storytelling. then, along came Gaiman, and his version of Sandman, and it was ON! Jamie Delano on Hellblazer was quite a big draw, writer wise, as well. What it all boils down to, is the Copper Age was an incredible time to be a comic collector :D

I was just going to say that about the copper age. I grew up in the SA and I must confess, my eagerness for the newest issue was at it's height in the copper age. My little Alien Worlds run is highly prized, as is Mr. Monster. I always wondered what Don Newton would have done for Batman had he continued. GOD BLESS...

I think it is also important to point out that the Copper Age was not an Age where you could say "From this date and issue on, all books are Copper". It was more like a movement, a ground swell that gradually built, sweeping up series that were still being told Silver and Bronze style over the course of the decade. There were series that never became Copper, except in the eyes of Overstreet, with their insistence on all-inclusive Age-relevant pricing... I've never been comfortable with the nomenclature of the Overstreet "Ages", or rather, in the application of those terms on a hobby-wide level, I guess. I think being a teenage comic collector in the Copper Age has a lot to do with that, since, at the time, the only clearly defined Ages were Silver and Gold. And, to me, at least, even those edges and date stamps have become murky, and a bit more nebulous.

And, God Bless you too, jimjum! I don't usually comment on a lot of your posts, due to complete agreement :D

What's great is CGC heard our request loud and clear, and supposedly in early 2011 are going to sponsor an event to lock down the Copper Age.

I don't know any more than that after speaking to someone over the phone. I very much look forward to this.

What's great is CGC heard our request loud and clear, and supposedly in early 2011 are going to sponsor an event to lock down the Copper Age.

I don't know any more than that after speaking to someone over the phone. I very much look forward to this.

As Cimm said....it will be controversial establishing parameters.....start and finish type of stuff. For D.C. and Marvel I would start around the 50 cent cover price or there abouts....but I'm no expert. Alot of folks were returning to the hobby in the 80's. The end of the era might be a little easier....my vote would be the coming of Image and the era of manufactured collectibles. It would be tough to place Valiant...they kind of straddle the fence. GOD BLESS....

P.S. The Copper Age to me was defined as the Age of the Re-Boot.....top shelf creators trying to bolster sagging sales and for the most part, succeeding.

P.S. The Copper Age to me was defined as the Age of the Re-Boot.....top shelf creators trying to bolster sagging sales and for the most part, succeeding.

I never looked at it that way completely because then the focus is on Marvel and DC only, though I do appreciate and respect the intent. A very good point when it comes to the big two!

I never looked at it that way completely because then the focus is on Marvel and DC only, though I do appreciate and respect the intent. A very good point when it comes to the big two!

It spills through to the independants a little too. Eclipse and Pacific were rebooting titles and concepts also....titles and genres that had been neglected or forgotten. Certainly not an end all type of theme....but very prevalent and interwoven through the era. That's why I'd have to include at least the Pre Unity Valiant stuff. GOD BLESS...

YEAH!!!! Although I'm not quite sure I'm ready for all that debate!

The BA ended and CA started somewhere in here.

May 1979: Daredevil 158- First Miller art

Feb 1980: She-Hulk #1

Mar 1980: King Conan 1

Apr 1980: Star Trek 1

Spring 1980: Epic Illustrated 1

Sep 1980: X-Men 137- Death of Dark Phoenix

Oct 1980: DC Presents 26- first New Teen Titans

Nov 1980: New Teen Titans 1

Nov 1980 – Moon Knight gets his own series

1980 : Superboy Spectacular- Direct Sales only 1-shot

Jan 1981: Daredevil 168- First Miller -script; Intro Elektra

Jan 1981: X-Men 141- Days of Future Past launches alternate time line that would form the basis for lots of uber-fandom-based X-continuity over the next several years

Mar 1981: X-Men 143- Final Claremont/Byrne

Mar 1981: Dazzler 1- First direct-sales-only for an ongoing series

Jul 1981 – Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.

Aug 1981 – Rogue debuts

Nov 1981: Captain Victory 1- First Pacific Comics issue, direct-only publisher

1981: Stan Lee moves to California to head Marvel TV/movie properties, leaving Jim Shooter in charge.

Nov 1980 – Moon Knight gets his own series

Jan 1981: X-Men 141- Days of Future Past launches alternate time line that would form the basis for lots of uber-fandom-based X-continuity over the next several years

Jul 1981 – Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.

Aug 1981 – Rogue debuts

1981: Stan Lee moves to California to head Marvel TV/movie properties, leaving Jim Shooter in charge.

Nice!

I lean more towards the suggestion of a few events taking place that laid the groundwork for the transition into the Copper Age. I used to think it was Daredevil 158 as one of the contributors, but someone handling the artwork chores just doesn't seem significant enough - storyline, definitely. Daredevil 168 gets my vote as one of those contributors.

:applause:

Nov 1980 Moon Knight gets his own series

Jul 1981 Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.

Aug 1981 Rogue debuts

No. 1981 is still Bronze.

I'd agree that the shift from one comic age to the next is always a matter of transition rather than the appearance of one particular book, especially after the Silver Age, and while I'm not clear of the importance of some of the books on Joe's list, and I'm sure others can be included, the time frame seems right in that I don't think anyone is going to argue that any comic published from 1982 on is still Bronze Age.

the time frame seems right in that I don't think anyone is going to argue that any comic published from 1982 on is still Bronze Age.

Agreed!

The challenge has been for many of us where in 1980-1983 would it be fair to say the Copper Age kicked in?

(shrug)

That's why Vince/JC was posting a series of books that are considered potential transition candidates due to their industry impact/importance, though it is not all-encompassing.

No. 1981 is still Bronze.

In your meager and ill-informed opinion maybe, but this timeline was compiled and agreed upon by a large number of longtime collectors on these boards, and the only real question was which book/event you pick.

If you try to play that idiotic "the BA ended in mid-1984" card that OS drunkenly proposed, then I doubt you'll find many supporters on here. lol

I don't think anyone is going to argue that any comic published from 1982 on is still Bronze Age.

Rocky will, as he's a BIG supporter of OS (does he work there or something?) and fully stands behind Bob and his drunken assertion that the BA was still going well into 1984. :tonofbricks: