• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does This Look Like a CGC 9.4?

116 posts in this topic

I've submitted enough books to pretty much be able to tell what's going to pull a 9.2 vs. a 9.6, and on the book shown above I'd be disappointed with the 9.2, and pretty happy with the 9.6. A 9.4 on that one isn't unreasonable...so what does everyone think this one pulled?

x126cgc1.jpg

maybe it was 9.4 before they sealed it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

Shaken Comic Syndrome...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's very possible, but it still looks like there is a piece out of the top-right corner, along with definite wear on all four corners.

Here's an example of what I'm going through trying to select issue to sub. This is the comic in question's bottom edge:

theirs_bot.jpg

Now here's what I would rate as a 9.4 edge for my Modern submission criteria:

mine_bot.jpg

Top edge from the comic:

theirs_top.jpg

My minimum for a 9.4 top edge:

mine_top.jpg

so what does everyone think this one pulled?

Knowing you, probably a gift 9.6.

I would say 9.2 cause of the corners.....for a book to get a 9.4 I believe that at least 3 corners should be sharp....I got a lot of ASM books right now in the forum marketplace that have sharper corners than this book and after two years of submitting books I would expect no more than a 9.2 on them...maybe one or two would get a 9.4 but i don't want to play those odds...

You probably got a 9.4 on that one though.....

I've submitted enough books to pretty much be able to tell what's going to pull a 9.2 vs. a 9.6, and on the book shown above I'd be disappointed with the 9.2, and pretty happy with the 9.6. A 9.4 on that one isn't unreasonable...so what does everyone think this one pulled?

C'mon doc, are you seriously trying to bring up hundreds of actual submissions as evidence that you know what CGC's grading is like? We all know that the surest way to find rock solid evidence of CGC's inconsistency is to look for one scan of one book on the Internet that may or may not be .2 or .4 overgraded and make a big deal out of it.

C'mon doc, are you seriously trying to bring up hundreds of actual submissions as evidence that you know what CGC's grading is like? We all know that the surest way to find rock solid evidence of CGC's inconsistency is to look for one scan of one book on the Internet that may or may not be .2 overgraded and make a big deal out of it.

Why do you CGC fanboys have to come out of the woodwork anytime someone posts an issue with a CGC grade? It's pretty obvious I'm not looking to stir things up (this time) and I'm really just trying to get a better idea of what's allowed for a Modern 9.4..

If corners like these are allowed, more money for me, as I had already tossed them into my VF to VF/NM pile and should submit and sell for the easy money. If this is a freakish anomaly and this book would get a CGC 9.0, 99 out of 100 times, then please let me know.

First of all, it's not a modern book. Close but not modern.

Second, while you claim that some of your "reader" copies have nicer corners (and they well have), are you sure there are absolutely no non color breaking spine stress lines. The book in question looks to be perfect except for the slightly rounded corners. And like I stated before, the corners could be razor sharp but bent ever so slightly, thereby giving the impression of rounding.

Second, while you claim that some of your "reader" copies have nicer corners (and they well have), are you sure there are absolutely no non color breaking spine stress lines.

Good point, so what's the ratio?

We have four blunt corners on this book, obvious corner wear, and assuming a nice spine, what's the tradeoff if your book has four sharp corners?

Are you allowed 4 spine creases, as that would be fair? More, less?

I'm not sure the corners are "rounded" per se. I think there is overflash of the cover and that the corners are curled over without breaking color. I've seen this before even on two CGC 9.8s that I have. My thoughts are that one of two things is true:

1) CGC does not consider curled overflash to be a great defect if color is not broken and if it is limited to 1/16th of an inch or less, or

2) The curled corners were not present when the book was graded, and occurred during transit after the book was placed into the slab (the books DO slosh around in the slab sometimes).

With the rounded corners, and very little chipping in the ULC I would say closer to 9.0/9.2. shocked.gif

Assuming no other damage to the rest of the book, I think you are grading too strictly if those are your ideas of what the edges and corners of a 9.4 look like.

maybe it was 9.4 before they sealed it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

Shaken Comic Syndrome...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's very possible, but it still looks like there is a piece out of the top-right corner, along with definite wear on all four corners.

Here's an example of what I'm going through trying to select issue to sub. This is the comic in question's bottom edge:

theirs_bot.jpg

Now here's what I would rate as a 9.4 edge for my Modern submission criteria:

mine_bot.jpg

Top edge from the comic:

theirs_top.jpg

My minimum for a 9.4 top edge:

mine_top.jpg

C'mon doc, are you seriously trying to bring up hundreds of actual submissions as evidence that you know what CGC's grading is like? We all know that the surest way to find rock solid evidence of CGC's inconsistency is to look for one scan of one book on the Internet that may or may not be .2 or .4 overgraded and make a big deal out of it.

Rob, you've made it clear in the past that you have no time for JC, so why even bother posting on his threads? Despite what you have said on this thread, people on the boards ARE interested in CGC's grading inconsistencies, and though one example doesn't illustrate the issue it has sparked some interesting debate. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Lets try and keep the personal digs out of a thread just for once.

Assuming no other damage to the rest of the book, I think you are grading too strictly if those are your ideas of what the edges and corners of a 9.4 look like.

Yeah I know, and I probably should get with the new CGC world. I've got tons of freaky nice Byrne copies and I guess that kind of shields me to the real-world of 9.4 grading sometimes.

Then again, watch me submit a bunch and get 9.2's on them. 27_laughing.gif

On the whole though, I do agree with the grades on my CGC copies about 95% of the time, but I have a couple of freakazoid NM or higher copies that I'd be hard pressed to give a 9.2 to.

For a BA book, that looks like a most generous 9.4. I witheld judgement based on the initial scan JC posted, 'cause it didn't seem detailed enough to determine what was really going on with those corners. But the close-up shots seem to me to show a lot of rounding, AND the bottom edge, especially the leftmost 1/3 of it, looks pretty worn.

Why do you even wnat to submit the books, are you looking to cash out your higher grade copies or just test the water?

I have a "fun goal" of completing a CGC 9.4 run of Byrne X-Men, and some issues just don't come up, or have horrid QP when they do, or sell for insane amounts in high-QP shape.

I've got a good portion of a nice-QP CGC run intact (along with some CGC 9.2 and 9.6 extras) and feel that I should just cut to the chase and submit a few of my own to fill the holes.

JC have you ever submitted any books to CGC?

A long time ago when the world was green. That was also during the time of the Modernis Labelis Rex, and where submitting NM+ books that I collect had a glass ceiling called the CGC 9.4 Grade. 27_laughing.gif