• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does This Look Like a CGC 9.4?

116 posts in this topic

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, and I'm pretty sure anyone here would be more than happy with my success rate at predicting the final CGC grade.

Sure, and just for the record, I probably had a better percentage than you on my first submissions.

But that's not the point, as under 1 out of 3 CGC grades predicted is certainly not what I'd consider a super hit rate, and I don't see how this "incredible evidence" goes against what I said.

Humans are fallible, on both sides of the equation, and it's difficult to predict (with any real certainty, what the eventual CGC grade will be. You submit what you think is a 9.6 and it comes back 9.4, and vice versa. Sometimes the gap is larger, sometimes there is a "grading notes" reason and other times there is not.

You automatically assume that when I post stuff like this, it's a slam against the Church of CGC, and you automatically jump in with both feet without even thinking about what I write.

If you think a 29% hit rate isn't even a slight crapshoot, then we're not even on the same page. If less than 1 out of 3 stocks I bought made money, it wouldn't be something I'd brag about.

True, at least for the right corners (top & bottom). The Bottom Right corner looks like it has a small overhang that led to the cover having a slight bend that does not break color and does not affect the interior or the back cover.

Thanks for the reply Paul, and that does make sense. I may not agree with it, but as a production issue, it does follow the "unofficial" CGC grading format.

And yes, I guess I tend to gravitate towards the "9.5" grade copies, and I guess some of those 9.3's do put me off a bit.

I forget, is that before or after the crash? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Take a wild guess, Einstein.

If you think that comic book values will continue to increase in value, with no correction, for 100 years then may I recommend a CAT scan? Probably won't find any brain activity, but it's worth a shot. thumbsup2.gif

I forget, is that before or after the crash? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Take a wild guess, Einstein.

If you think that comic book values will continue to increase in value, with no correction, for 100 years then may I recommend a CAT scan? Probably won't find any brain activity, but it's worth a shot. thumbsup2.gif

So now a crash is when comics stop increasing in value? Your position softens more and more. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, and I'm pretty sure anyone here would be more than happy with my success rate at predicting the final CGC grade.

Sure, and just for the record, I probably had a better percentage than you on my first submissions.

I'm sure you did Joe rolleyes.gif, and no need to get all defensive - if you don't want to tell us who these serious submitters are that can't grade (to preserve their anonymity or because they don't exist or whatever) just say so and we won't travel down the road of JC's top-secret/anonymous sources of information...yet again... gossip.gif

I'm sure you did Joe rolleyes.gif, and no need to get all defensive

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Now who's getting defensive. We both know I can grade better than you in my sleep.

if you don't want to tell us who these serious submitters are that can't grade (to preserve their anonymity or because they don't exist or whatever) just say so and we won't travel down the road of JC's top-secret/anonymous sources of information...yet again... gossip.gif

Oh gee, please Mr. 29% 27_laughing.gif, don't follow through on your "JC is a liar" routine for the 900th time. Think of the children. 27_laughing.gif

29%, lol. 27_laughing.gif

We both know I can grade better than you in my sleep.

I smell a poll!!

Oh gee, please Mr. 29%, don't follow through on your "JC is a lair" routine...

I smell two polls!!

JK JC, I won't embarass you again...later! hi.gif

I'm sure you did Joe rolleyes.gif, and no need to get all defensive - if you don't want to tell us who these serious submitters are that can't grade (to preserve their anonymity or because they don't exist or whatever) just say so and we won't travel down the road of JC's top-secret/anonymous sources of information...yet again... gossip.gif

A Private source to dissuade the "Thrill/Joy-Graders" that are generally attracted to sources of this nature in these extreme times, to preserve the integrity of the source for the well-intending grader, and to ensure grader confidentiality. ALL may grade, but only my sources views count, as in most Professional Grading Situations, thereby eliminating the incentive to place grades merely to bolster ones grading status.

We both know I can grade better than you in my sleep.

I smell a poll!!

Oh gee, please Mr. 29%, don't follow through on your "JC is a lair" routine...

I smell two polls!!

Let the polls commence! Seriously. I like a poll - although how many Forumites are familiar with both JC's and Banner's grading?

But you are a liar.

Coming from someone who makes judgement calls on people they have never met (which is lucky for a skinny boy like yourself), I'll take that as a compliment. thumbsup2.gif

Now why don't you try insulting people in the real-world, rather than acting the Internet Tough Guy routine from the safety of your parent's basement. 27_laughing.gif

But you are a liar.

Coming from someone who makes judgement calls on people they have never met (which is lucky for a skinny boy like yourself), I'll take that as a compliment. thumbsup2.gif

Now why don't you try insulting people in the real-world, rather than acting the Internet Tough Guy routine from the safety of your parent's basement. 27_laughing.gif

So you have met?

I'm having a hard time believing it, due to the corners:

xmen126.png

One thing is for certain, I'd be pretty disappointed if I bought and paid a CGC NM 9.4 price for a book with the observable defects commensurate to a VF/NM 9.0 grade.

I still think this looks like a book that might have seen some damage in the holder. Plitch's perspective was helpful, but it certainly didn't rule out the possibility that some or all of those soft corners were sharp when the book was graded, and got softer in transit.