• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Help question regarding 9/11 and comics

83 posts in this topic

My friend is doing her thesis on comics and she would like to know if any comics, Superheroes or villains.(She has all the commemorative comics) dealing with 9/11 Portraying people of Middle Eastern descent in a negative light,evil or malevolent. Thanks in advance it is a difficult question to ask without sounding disrespectful but it is for an academic study no harm is meant.

come on I have been a member for 4 years. The least I could get would be a direction of where I could ask a question like this. Comics are famous for its propaganda during times of war certainly there is an answer to this question somewhere.

come on I have been a member for 4 years. The least I could get would be a direction of where I could ask a question like this. Comics are famous for its propaganda during times of war certainly there is an answer to this question somewhere.

This was the time period that I REALLY got back into comics and I collected all of the mainstream titles. I really don't remember anything in the mainstream story lines that was negative. Like I said, I really just remember them presenting how the heroes related to what happened factually.

This was the time period that I REALLY got back into comics and I collected all of the mainstream titles. I really don't remember anything in the mainstream story lines that was negative. Like I said, I really just remember them presenting how the heroes related to what happened factually.

Thanks that was helpful I as well could not remember much but I did not want to say no without atleast asking the question on these boards

Check the Captian America books from the Marvel Knights series that debuted in June 2002...volume four I believe? Anyway, vaguely remember instensely patriotic covers (# 2 and #3 for sure) and the main enemy being a terrorist called Shaytan...cannot recall his ethnicity or if he was protrayed in a manner different from any other villian, but maybe worth checking out. hm

91614-9121-106301-1-new-x-men_super.jpg

I should think all the mainstream comics have bent over backwards to show their politically correct credentials (and I don't mean that to sound as cynical as it does). You are far more likely to find negative portrayals of Arabs, Muslims, etc in comics before 911.

Check the Captian America books from the Marvel Knights series that debuted in June 2002...volume four I believe? Anyway, vaguely remember instensely patriotic covers (# 2 and #3 for sure) and the main enemy being a terrorist called Shaytan...cannot recall his ethnicity or if he was protrayed in a manner different from any other villian, but maybe worth checking out. hm

Also calling him a terrorist would void stereotyping middle eastern people.

I dont think you would ever see mainstream covers or depictions of Middle Easteners in the same manner that comics depicted the Nazis and Japanese during WW2.

If anything, I would imagine that in these days of political correctness, most publishers would go in the other direction to show them in a better light.

On the other hand, I do recall that a Tea Party rally was depicted as an angry mob in an issue of Captain America last year -- and that caused quite a stir.

Go figure...

I dont think you would ever see mainstream covers or depictions of Middle Easteners in the same manner that comics depicted the Nazis and Japanese during WW2.

If anything, I would imagine that in these days of political correctness, most publishers would go in the other direction to show them in a better light.

On the other hand, I do recall that a Tea Party rally was depicted as an angry mob in an issue of Captain America last year -- and that caused quite a stir.

Go figure...

Interesting information about the Tea Party I am sure that will also be very helpful thanks

The subject has been avoided completely, and much like the rest of the press only christians are allowed to be villianized. I could point you in that direction if you wished.

Hammer, meet nail head. (thumbs u