• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do listings like this do to the market?

14 posts in this topic

This page has been listed in and eBay store for quite some time(PREACHER16pg03). At the asking price it is sure to stay there for the foreseeable future.

Then the other day two new pages get listed by a different seller ( PREACHER40pg08).

My guess is "is_dead" saw the "jcs_comics" listing, thought if he "discounted" his pages they'd sell.

So, is "jcs_comics" affecting the market with his listing?

Or is his price so out of whack that it is irrelevant?

Should these pages just be forgotten about until the current owners get out of crack rehab?

It does one of these two things to the market....

Either this:

laughing.gif

or this:

1247140047_mushroom-cloud.gif

or maybe neither....or maybe both. :eyeroll:

This page has been listed in and eBay store for quite some time(PREACHER16pg03). At the asking price it is sure to stay there for the foreseeable future.

Then the other day two new pages get listed by a different seller ( PREACHER40pg08).

My guess is "is_dead" saw the "jcs_comics" listing, thought if he "discounted" his pages they'd sell.

So, is "jcs_comics" affecting the market with his listing?

Or is his price so out of whack that it is irrelevant?

Should these pages just be forgotten about until the current owners get out of crack rehab?

We went through this a year or so ago...during YOUR sale! :makepoint:

From an earlier PREACHER thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3056403&fpart=7

"jcs_comics" is affecting "is_dead", and anyone who is basing their sale prices on "jcs_comics"'s inflated values. Until any of those pages sell, no real affect on the market.

Yes, his prices are so out of whack that they're irrelevant (as yours were).

Congrats on your successful crack rehab. :baiting:

:roflmao: at Felix.

NSN might have gotten a few sales so they weren't completely crazy. I mean, some people pay $200 or $300 over market might not be a big deal. However, these listings are like 300 to 400 PERCENT over market. I remember asking jcs about his listing and he seemed to try to validate the price to me because it was bid up to 1500 or something with the reserve not met. It was either shilled (which is my belief but I have no proof of it whatsoever) or someone was just thrill bidding. Either way, I wasn't going to get into an argument over the price of his piece. His art and he can price it as he wants. I remember just being frustrated because I thought I might have had a deal going for a nice page (that I was ironically overpaying for) but the guy was worried he would sell too cheap... all thanks to jcs' auction.

I guess what I am saying is, it can be frustrating seeing these things pop up (like valnstevez auctions) but I guess I'll just have to live with them since I don't feel like arguing with the owners over it.

We went through this a year or so ago...during YOUR sale! :makepoint:

Yes, his prices are so out of whack that they're irrelevant (as yours were).

Congrats on your successful crack rehab. :baiting:

As Claudio pointed out, my prices were "aggressive" not "ridiculously out of range" I think there is a distinction.

But the point of the thread is not specifically about PREACHER pages. That's just an example. Replace PREACHER with any title/artist(Whatever your niche is). Do these type of out of whack listings have any affect? (shrug)

For example, I see these Preacher pages and how they are priced and I look at his other items for sale and just assume they are priced just as ridiculously even if I don't know the market for that particular art. In the end, I think he is only hurting himself. Just look at all the flack that the Donnelly's receive on these boards...

But the point of the thread is not specifically about PREACHER pages. That's just an example. Replace PREACHER with any title/artist(Whatever your niche is). Do these type of out of whack listings have any affect? (shrug)

As I wrote before, there may be some residual effect in how others (particularly sellers) value their art (as when Anthony Snyder priced his PREACHER pages with your values as a guide). But, barring a newbie who is impatient and/or doesn't know any better, buyers are smart enough to write off out-of-whack asking prices as...out-of-whack.

A couple of examples from SDCC:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=03169483194%2097

This cover had a price tag of $100K. Seriously out-of-whack.

The same seller had a Bissette/Totleben SWAMP THING DPS. A real beauty. Not so much the price, though...$30K+.

Neither will affect the real market at all.