• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern collector predictions:

14 posts in this topic

since I feel contrasting myself to negrodamious from chappelle show as crackerdamious would be too much. I offer a general set of modern comic 9.8 predictions for the future:

5-8 cgc 9.8 asm 301s

3 wolverine nasbisco variants 145

8 superman 75 platinums

10 batman 608 rrps

too many to list asm 298-300s (in other words, who cares after that point)

GS x-men 1 way more than 10 by the end and 9.6 resubs

GIJoe 21 (Ill say atleast 5 possibly 8 after the first huge sum 9.8 sells for well over $5k)

GIJoe 21 (Ill say atleast 5 possibly 8 after the first huge sum 9.8 sells for well over $5k)

You think a CGC 9.8 copy of G.I. Joe #21 would sell for more than 20 times the price of a CGC 9.6? 893whatthe.gif If you can say that with a straight face, may I suggest a career on Wall Street when you finish law school. tongue.gif And if by some small chance you are right, God help us all. insane.gif

Gene

it would not surprise me one bit if g.i. joe#21 went for 5k but i wont be the one paying that much.i remember a year or so ago every other post seemed to be about g.i. joe#21.whatever happened to dungeon???

She left.

Yeah, and she won't be paying $5K for a 9.8 copy either. tongue.gif Didn't she (or maybe it was her partner Soltrick) say she was hoping the first copy would fly under the radar so she could get it for like $500 or $750?

It's extremely unlikely that anybody is going to pay $5K for the first 9.8 copy. I can tell you that the wack-job who paid all that money for the original art to that issue is definitely not interested. blush.gif

Gene

I seem to remember dungeon & soltrick saying they sold all their Joe's to help buy a house.

Who can believe someone would be dumb enough to move their money from comic books to real estate? confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

She left.

Yeah, and she won't be paying $5K for a 9.8 copy either. tongue.gif Didn't she (or maybe it was her partner Soltrick) say she was hoping the first copy would fly under the radar so she could get it for like $500 or $750?

It's extremely unlikely that anybody is going to pay $5K for the first 9.8 copy. I can tell you that the wack-job who paid all that money for the original art to that issue is definitely not interested. blush.gif

Gene

27_laughing.gif

Yep, I can say that with a straight face after what was paid for the original art for that issue. And I am not smiling

I can see why someone would pay big $$$ for the original art to that issue, because it's one of a kind, but I think it's unlikely that someone will pay more than 20 times the value of a CGC 9.6 copy for a single CGC 9.8 copy of this book, especially since, as you predict, there would be more 9.8 copies coming down the pike. If the first 9.8 copy did sell for $3K, let alone $5K, I bet there would be a lot of opportunists cracking out their 9.6s and magically turning them into 9.8s through the magic of industrial-strength pressing equipment. 893whatthe.gif

Gene

Yep Gene, I still feel it could ultimately go either way but it would be funny to see the outcome. Ill give ya a No Prize if final price is closer to your prediction. I guess ive just seen the market get crazy from the beginning of the cgc craze like you. I would have never thought a x-men gs 1 9.6 ow/w i sold for 1450 and only made a small profit since it was a turn over would be avg twice that 2 years later since there are what, like 70 in that grade? Though we are kinda comparing apples to oranges. I bought the gijoe 24 9.8 w pager and was shocked I did not pay anymore than i did since its first firefly and the only one. I have a feeling that #21 will sell for an insane price though. I think a few will eventually show up. Some could be regraded 9.6's. I checked mine, its a definate 9.6. But then again, I had a hulk 180 i bought raw and graded 9.6, sent it back and whoala, 9.8 baby. And it sold for very little (thx to heritage). I think these prices will eventually fall on most moderns though. But i still havent noticed the market slow down for key issues and im actually shocked. After all, why the big deal with asm 300 in 9.8 when there are a million of them, and its price still holds steady at $700 and sometimes goes over???

speculator market is a scary thing

But thx, i hope this is a fun thread. Lets laugh at the prices, high or low in a few years. We are in the high point of a high grade comic buying epidemic (atleast for keys). Theyll be talking about this time period for quite awhile after its over. Hope you guys enjoy the ride

Yep, I can say that with a straight face after what was paid for the original art for that issue. And I am not smiling

Dude, for $5K you could get pretty much a copy of ANYTHING (less some outrageous GA keys). I would rather take my chaces with the best copy I could find of a AF 15 for $5K than the Joe 21. Sure, Joe does have "cross collectibility" but I can't see $5K for that book . . .

DAM