• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite Multi-Part Story.

44 posts in this topic

hmm, maybe I should've asked you guys to elaborate on what the stories were about, for those of us that haven't read them because we're slackers.

Orrr....since you can obtain the originals of all of these stories for $10 or less, why not just read them...?

I know, I'm so mean and condescending.

(thumbs u

IBTL (:

I :luhv: CG, and I'm fairly certain he likes me.

I'm just :baiting: the H8RZ.

hmm, maybe I should've asked you guys to elaborate on what the stories were about, for those of us that haven't read them because we're slackers.

Orrr....since you can obtain the originals of all of these stories for $10 or less, why not just read them...?

I know, I'm so mean and condescending.

(thumbs u

It is a discussion board and I just wanted to spark some discussion. My pick is probably more nostalgia than for the quality of the story.

(:

I just wanted to point this out again:

since you can obtain the originals of all of these stories for $10 or less

Cause it's kinda sad. :(

Almost without exception, the best of the best Copper can all be had for next to nothing, in their original forms.

Carry on...

How about the Avengers arc where the Masters of Evil take over the Mansion.

Just great, killer 80s superhero stuff.

I haven't read those! I'll have to check it out.

The entire Buscema/Palmer run was very good imo.

Kraven's Last Hunt

Mutant Massacre

GI Joe 26/27

Secret Wars II (now before you guys think I'm nuts... it wasn't really this story as much as the fact this series tied in with all those Marvel issues that I purchased and read for the first time - I bought and read my first Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, New Mutants, Avengers, Daredevil, and a couple others) I seem to really get hooked on several books after that series!

Transformers 1-4

How about these:

The entire Alan Moore Swampt Thing run

Watchmen

Miracleman: Olympus

V for Vendetta (Cronze?)

The Dark Knight Returns

PPTSSM: Sin Eater

My God, you have amazing taste in Copper Age books!

(worship)

One of my favorites is from vol 1 of TMNT. Big surprise, right? :eyeroll:

Return to New York, issues 19-21

Some back story: The only true appearance of the Shredder was in issue #1 and he was killed within the issue. Foot Clan mystics used worms to resurrect him. I'm not sure if "resurrect" is the best word, but the Shredder we see in subsequent issues is a clone/amalgamation of worms that took Shredder's form.

Anyway, he comes back in the Leonardo 1-shot and issue #10. He and the foot ambush Leo when he's out on an exercise/training run on Christmas Eve. Remember the scene in the first movie where the foot attack Raphael and drop him through the skylight? In the comics, that actually happened to Leo and the Shredder clone was leading the attack. The Shredder clone and the foot continue the attack on the remaining 3 Turtles and April in April's apartment, which is above her antique store. The resulting battle destroys the shop and forces the team to retreat to a farm in New Hampshire to recuperate. This is where Return to New York begins.

Hiding out, the team is waiting for the perfect moment to try and get back home to New York. Raphael, being the hothead that he is, decides he can't wait any longer. He and Leonardo get into a pretty good brawl when Leo tries to stop him, but ultimately Raph leaves anyway and hides out in the now foot-patrolled sewers. He meets up with a Triceraton from a previous issue, but that's another story.

Eventually, the team is reunited and they decide that they have to put an end to the Shredder once and for all. They battle their way through hordes of foot ninjas and even some failed Shredder clones until Leo is able to break away from the battle and pursue the Shredder clone alone. They battle it out on a rooftop until finally Leo is able to get the upper hand and decapitates the Shredder clone.

Why I like it? Many of the issues from the first volume of TMNT are one-off stories by any of a number of artists. With Return to New York, Eastman and Laird are able to contribute to the book again and they get back to the gritty nature that made issue #1 so successful. Plus, it helped to develop the Turtles as a team...especially the Leo/Raph dynamic. The action was great and anyone who likes classic TMNT art will like the artwork in this arc. Plus, the events of this story set into motion the big arc that concludes the first volume, City at War.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles19.jpg

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles20.jpg

I wish I had the last part in graded 9.8 to display. Sadly, it doesn't exist (yet).

Except #37-40.

#40 will make you cry.

Yeah :(

I think I own a page from that issue.

Oh, and don't forget about Justice League Antartica Might be the single funniest comic of the whole run.

You do?

I would LOVE to own the cover to #40.

err, might be 39 now that I think about it.