• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded GA Archie Comics in Short Supply

424 posts in this topic

congrats.

so is the #50 just priced on its own or are the rest of the montana covers starting to be valued higher as well? Seems like there is almost nothing on the market to tell.

Montana covers are a bit higher than the surrounding issues, but not like #50.

Crazy, somebody took a chance , eh?

I guess so. Looks to me like the seller scored. On Heritage, CGC 2.5 and 3.0 copies went for less in the past 5 years, and 4.0 copy went for only $1,000 more. However, this past August a 3.5 copy sold for more than $20,000, so perhaps the value of this comic really has skyrocketed in just a few years? Anyway I enjoyed watching this auction. Who knows, maybe this one will end up on your work desk, Ze-Man.

$8000 seems like a lot but in the last 4 years the comic has done nothing but skyrocket. A 3.5 last Aug went for $20,300 and the 8.5 last Feb went for $167,300. I just looked at the census and it says only 27 have ever been slabbed. Action #1 has had twice as many slabbed. So Archie 1 is super rare! Still, $8000 for what looks like a 1.5 to 1.8. I wish I could go back 4 years and buy some of these.

I sold my cover only for over $2000 and could have bought an interior without a centerfold for about $1000. Similar condition overall and this was all last year.

As folks have said this book has been on a tear over the past 2 years, as well as the past forever. It's just not available in any grade, graded or raw. Owners of this and Pep 22 here on the boards and else where put this on the "I'll keep it 'til I die" pile so even crazy money isn't loosening the grip.

Overstreet values always divide perfectly at 4.0 and under (a 2.0 is worth half of a 4.0, a 1.0 is worth half of a 2.0, etc)

So if you look at the Archie 1 cgc 3.5 value of $20,315, and do the math, then this Archie 1 that just sold is right in line with that. If the raw Archie 1 is a 1.8 then it might be worth about $10,000. If it grades as a 1.5 then it might be worth about $8700.

I'll be very curious to see what the next graded Archie 1 goes for. There's no data to draw from, but obviously this comic is shooting up in value.

ft88, I think you should have kept your cover and gotten that interior.

.As folks have said this book has been on a tear over the past 2 years, as well as the past forever. It's just not available in any grade, graded or raw. Owners of this and Pep 22 here on the boards and else where put this on the "I'll keep it 'til I die" pile so even crazy money isn't loosening the grip.

Yes, both Archie 1 and Pep 22 have left the dock and set sail several years ago and are probably out of the reach of virtually all collectors by now. Cheap seats are still available on the Jackpot 4 which might be a safer bet at this point in time, relative to the price point on the other 2 books. hm

The Jackpot 4 has definitely missed the fanfare which both Archie 1 and pep 22 was able to revel in. (shrug)

Why are there so few Archie #1s out there? Even in low grade you just don't see it.

If Archie was popular enough to get his own comic you would think they would have done a larger print run. And what about 2, 3, 4, & 5? Wasn't the character getting more popular with each issue, plus the appearances in PEP?

What is considered more rare Archie 1 or Pep 22?

I can't wait to see what the next auctions that feature either of these two comics are in. Pretty amazing stuff for a non superhero.

And Archie doesn't even have a movie tie in to propel the comic to greater masses.

More qualified opinions to follow mine.

But as I understand it Pep 22 is one tough book.

Lower print runs, cheap production materials, and kids read the heck out of them.

And while he had no movie tie in, he had Veronica and Betty. :cloud9:

I've always thought the Jackpot 4 cover was just a little washed out and uninteresting compared to the Archie 1 and Pep 22. And without it being a 1st appearance or a #1 issues, it's just not the it girl.

More qualified opinions to follow mine.

But as I understand it Pep 22 is one tough book.

Lower print runs, cheap production materials, and kids read the heck out of them.

And while he had no movie tie in, he had Veronica and Betty. :cloud9:

I actually don't understand why the Pep #22 is always valued at the same dollar figure as the Archie #1. I know I would definitely pay more for a Pep #22 as opposed to an Archie #1.

For comparison purposes, isn't Action #1 worth more than Supes #1, 'Tec #27 more than Batman #1, AF #15 more than AMS #1, etc. Certainly puzzles me after all these years with respect to the valuation of Pep #22 vs. Archie #1. (shrug)