• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded GA Archie Comics in Short Supply

424 posts in this topic

so whoever bought those qualified archies in the one we all grabbed our favorites is now trying to flip them on ebay for double what they went for, the part that looks sketchy is they aren't mentioning the fact they are GLOD in the description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280591677830#ht_2644wt_1139

I saw that! Pretty sneaky! But that is why we always need to pay attention to the scans.

Even more to the point I got my Pep #78 today. The advertisement called it "Very Fine" which clearly it is not. (more like a 4.5-5) BUT I saw that in the scan and bid accordingly. I am very happy with this one!

pep78.JPG

so whoever bought those qualified archies in the one we all grabbed our favorites is now trying to flip them on ebay for double what they went for, the part that looks sketchy is they aren't mentioning the fact they are GLOD in the description.

I saw that! Pretty sneaky! But that is why we always need to pay attention to the scans.

That's the toughest part about collecting Archies. In particular Pep and Laugh. Over the years, I've had my share of ebay purchases where the books arrived and I found that the Katy Keene pinup is missing. It's really sad when it's a nice looking collection of books otherwise, such as these.

Most sellers were great about resolving the problem. Some were not.

That's the toughest part about collecting Archies. In particular Pep and Laugh. Over the years, I've had my share of ebay purchases where the books arrived and I found that the Katy Keene pinup is missing. It's really sad when it's a nice looking collection of books otherwise, such as these.

Most sellers were great about resolving the problem. Some were not.

The "frustrating" part of collecting GA Archies for me is the scarcity of copies in Fine or better condition. I have no problem finding Superman titles in higher grades but the Archies, when you can find them at all, come up short in better grades. I am not sure why this is other than maybe they were just passed around the house more than the Superhero titles. Well the hunt is most of the fun anyway.

Tally Ho! (:

The seller doesn't mention it but all you have to do is look at the scan. It's not like they're hiding the fact it's a GLOD by cracking it out of the slab and selling it raw

On the other hand, the only way to figure out why it's a GLOD is to click into the large scan, use the zoom function to try to make out what it says on the label, and even then it's almost impossible to read the label notes. I mean, I can see the word "incomplete" but darned if I can make out which pages are actually missing ...

So, yeah, it's not a downright misrepresentation, but it's definitely not kosher behavior on the seller's side either ...

The "frustrating" part of collecting GA Archies for me is the scarcity of copies in Fine or better condition.

That's why the Crippen books were so great--runs of Archie titles in the 7.0 to 9.0 range. I must have 50 or so of them :cloud9:

The seller doesn't mention it but all you have to do is look at the scan. It's not like they're hiding the fact it's a GLOD by cracking it out of the slab and selling it raw

On the other hand, the only way to figure out why it's a GLOD is to click into the large scan, use the zoom function to try to make out what it says on the label, and even then it's almost impossible to read the label notes. I mean, I can see the word "incomplete" but darned if I can make out which pages are actually missing ...

So, yeah, it's not a downright misrepresentation, but it's definitely not kosher behavior on the seller's side either ...

If I see a green label I move on. Don't even bother looking at the notes

The "frustrating" part of collecting GA Archies for me is the scarcity of copies in Fine or better condition.

That's why the Crippen books were so great--runs of Archie titles in the 7.0 to 9.0 range. I must have 50 or so of them :cloud9:

I wish i would have been collecting archies when those got sold. Those heritage auction prices for his books look pretty low compared to what market rate is today.

metro has a pep 76 church copy gong for 1700 :tonofbricks:

If you ever have a chance to post them up in a gallery here it would be great seeing them! As for me, the hunt goes on! I do have to say that since I have only been collecting GA Archies since about July that I am pretty happy with my own modest collection!

As to the Green labels I would not be SO fast to pass on them. After all if you got that Archie #47 that is up there with a very nice cover and then a lower grade copy with a bad cover you CAN marry them and it is not considered restoration. So GLODS do have a place I suppose.

I wish i would have been collecting archies when those got sold. Those heritage auction prices for his books look pretty low compared to what market rate is today.

metro has a pep 76 church copy gong for 1700 :tonofbricks:

I saw the #76 and it IS beautiful but frankly $1700 seems way over priced to me. It has been hanging around on the Metropolis site for a long time now. If I had to guess I would say that a grand is the sweet spot for that book. But that's just my opinion.

If you ever have a chance to post them up in a gallery here it would be great seeing them! As for me, the hunt goes on! I do have to say that since I have only been collecting GA Archies since about July that I am pretty happy with my own modest collection!

As to the Green labels I would not be SO fast to pass on them. After all if you got that Archie #47 that is up there with a very nice cover and then a lower grade copy with a bad cover you CAN marry them and it is not considered restoration. So GLODS do have a place I suppose.

hmmm never thought of that, so what would CGC do to a married cover and interior if the cover came from an 8.0+.

and you can't take pics from Heritage. If i were you just create a login and search "crippen archie"

I can't see spending $1700 because its an Edgar Church comic. I would want it just because its a HG.

I can't see spending $1700 because its an Edgar Church comic. I would want it just because its a HG.

That's funny 'cause I'm the exact opposite. I wouldn't pay that kind of $ for a HG book unless it was a pedigree lol

That's funny 'cause I'm the exact opposite. I wouldn't pay that kind of $ for a HG book unless it was a pedigree lol

That's the beauty of the hobby. We all collect for different reasons! :)

That's the beauty of the hobby. We all collect for different reasons! :)

I think that Pep used to be around $600 about 8 years ago on Met. If I remember, it disappeared and then reappeared some time later at the higher price.

As for married books, I'm curious how well the cover and interior book have to match to maintain a decent market value. Like a lot of old books, you can find multiple copies of the same Archie issue and they are cut differently, have the staples located in different places, different paper quality, etc.

Even though a married cover and book are from the same issue, it seems like it would hurt the value if the "marriage" is really obvious.

The Pep 43 on the recent comicconnect auction probably would have brought in more $$$ had the cover been a better match for the book.

The Crippen B&V #1 was the nicest copy I had ever seen. Don't know if you won that but it was a beauty.

Not mine unfortunately. The vast majority of my Crippen Archies are either Pep or Laugh.

well if you bought the laugh 44 please give me first crack if you ever want to sell it.

Its probably my favorite cover of all archies titles.