• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dreaded Green Label

31 posts in this topic

I was wondering what people's opinions are on getting Signature CGC approved vs. submitting them later and getting a green label. I have a number of comics that I have gotten signed outside of Comic Cons and does it really matter to people who are buying comics when/where the signature were done?

Yes, it is another way for CGC to make $$.. and then the signatures can't be disputed.. on the other hand... most people who are buying signed stuff already know what the artists signature's look like or have something to compare it with..

All the difference in the world to myself. The only way I'd be "okay" with the green is if I had no plans ever of reselling the particular book. As much as I'd like to say say I'll never sell any of my books, life has a way of making you make tough decisions and I feel a lot better about the prospects of selling yellow labels, not to mention if I'm lucky enough to be able to pass along my collection to my kids they will know what they have!

I was wondering what people's opinions are on getting Signature CGC approved vs. submitting them later and getting a green label. I have a number of comics that I have gotten signed outside of Comic Cons and does it really matter to people who are buying comics when/where the signature were done?

Yes, it is another way for CGC to make $$.. and then the signatures can't be disputed.. on the other hand... most people who are buying signed stuff already know what the artists signature's look like or have something to compare it with..

If you're doing it for resale, Green Labels are notorious for not selling well. So many signatures are readily available/attainable for SS that most graded signature collectors won't touch a Green Label book. Just on a personal estimate, I'd say you'd likely receive 50% or less for a Green Label book than you would for its Yellow Label counterpart.

Of course there are exceptions. Rare signatures that look authentic will sell well. I remember seeing an Action 1 reprint with Jerry Siegel's signature on it that sold earlier this year for a pretty penny. I'm sure the same would be true for Jack Kirby sigs (although he usually signed on the splash page). If a creator died before the SS label came about, there are still collectors out there who would want it in their slab collection regardless of label color. Most of the time, though, people in this area of the message board won't pay much for a green label sig. If you're doing it for resale, you're better off selling them raw. My 2c

If we're talking signatures, many times you can just request to either have a green label (which ignores the signature and grades the book on its structural condition) or a blue label (which will count the signature as a defect). The amount a blue label will be knocked down depends on the size and location of the sig. A big signature done in marker right on the cover will get around a 7.5 or so on an otherwise 9.8 book (personal observation). There aren't a ton of people who opt for a blue label to count the signature as a defect, so there's not a lot to compare with.

The SS label is basically a Green "qualified" label with a witnessed signature. The authenticity guarantee is the only difference. I'd think you'd do better in resale by going for a green label that notes the signature as opposed to a blue label that counts the signature as a defect. Just me.

Don't Really know, But I have a Moon Knight #1 Signed by the artist on the Splash Page and it is CGC 9.8 Blue Label.

Yep, the key is it's on the splash page. If the signature is not interfering with the art and it's small enough, you can still garner a 9.8 grade. I've never seen this happen to a book with a small sig on the cover, but here's an example of a book with 3 interior sigs still getting a 9.8:

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles20.jpg

With the inauguration of CGC, I think it does matter that signatures are witnessed, hence the prosperity of CGC SS. As a buyer, you'll want to be sure you're paying that much more for the real deal.

That said, if I have unwitnessed signed raw comics and I want to keep it for myself, I wouldn't submit it for a green label because 1. there are so many better ways to showcase the raw comic well and 2. the green label is an eyesore.

I think most people shun away from the green label cos it's like an 'inferior' good compared to SS labels, and many don't even bother to consider the grade a green label might attain, especially if it's anything below 9.8 (for copper and modern dreks that is)

The yellow label matters to me. The only way i'd go with a green label is if the artist/writer/colorist etc., does not sign often. For example, i would purchase a Green label with a Pat Lee, Joe Ng or Sam Keith sig as you rarely see their sigs on a yellow label. But i would not purchase a Green label with a Dan Jurgens, Stan Lee, Mike Zeck or David Finch sig as they sign pretty often. (thumbs u

Give it up man. Nobody likes the new rules. I am pretty sure even the SS director sometimes has trouble with them.

I Have been a witness for over 5 years. I was one of the first. Things were stict in the beginning. Then they losened up now things are strict again.

If you have never been a witness or worked for CGC you do not nor will you ever know the level of dificulty involved.

If you have never got 100 books or more signed for customers that treat your like taco bell employees you will never know the dissapointment or difficulty involved.

It is hard. Sometimes it is impossible. Some conventions will not work with CGC.

Some conventions don't even care if CGC attendings their convention or is successful in obtaining signatures for SS for customers. Some creators only want to sign 3 or 4 items per customer. Some creators only sign at certain times. Some creators will not sign at all or if they know the book is for SS.

In many ways CGC and their witnesses have a Thankless job.

With that being said I sent up 4 books in advance for SS to a friend. I will be happy with whatever got done. SS save collectors time and effort. If you have to arrive early get what you want and save time and effort and enjoy the con then so be it.

Is it worth slabbing Dynamic Forces signed comics with a Green Label?

No.

Somehow, the raw might seem more appealing than its green counterpart. I've got a perfect example. I have a Ultimate Spiderman #1 DF signed and sketched by Art Thibert. I thought of getting it graded cos it looked in really HG condition but for reasons I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not gonna pay green for green.