• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What’s your opinion on long term pricing trends?

94 posts in this topic

when was the last time a Pulp was optioned for the silver-screen?

The latest would be the Buck Rogers movie they're making, but Zorro, Tarzan, and the Phantom have made it there several times.

The latest would be the Buck Rogers movie they're making, but Zorro, Tarzan, and the Phantom have made it there several times.

I'll give you Buck and Zorro (even though I can't imagine they'd receive much, if any critical acclaim), but Tarzan started out as a novel and which Phantom? Because The Phantom's origins are in comics.

I'll give you Buck and Zorro (even though I can't imagine they'd receive much, if any critical acclaim)

I think Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan was very nicely done.

And I just checked the movie writeup.

The film received Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actor (Richardson), Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Makeup.

:applause:

I'll give you Buck and Zorro (even though I can't imagine they'd receive much, if any critical acclaim)

The film received Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actor (Richardson), Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Makeup.

titanic-sinks-new-york-times-thumb.jpg

That was the first movie I ever saw in a movie theatre. My aunt took me and my brother to the Sheraton Hotel that had a Theatre located underground in downtown Toronto.

It was also the first time I realized that you could literally live under ground in a city like Toronto. There is an amazing maze of shops, tunnels and Subway lines in the city.

Does any other city have something like this?

Antonio Banderas as Zorro did VERY well, awesome flick.

It got decent critical acclaim also, although I wasn't sure it was as good as it appears to be until I just looked it up. Great Rotten Tomatoes score at 82% and multiple awards nominations, although none of the big director/screenplay/actor Oscar awards.

I actually meant if any new (recent) movie's had been made, but don't let me stop you from answering your own posts, with reviews about movies (with the exception of this thread) that no one talks about anymore. IMDB actually lists 89 attempts at a Tarzan movie. While I can't say if any of those movies created a surge in the pulps, I do know that Tarzan comics (especially photo/few painted covers, and early Dell's) still sell at a premium.

don't let me stop you from answering your own posts, with reviews about movies (with the exception of this thread) that no one talks about anymore.

GRAND! With your permission I shall then continue!

catherina_zeta_jones_legend_of_zorro.jpgcatherine_zeta_jones_the_mask_of_zorro_002.jpgCatherine%20Zeta%20Jones%20to%20star%20with%20Antonio%20Banderas%20in%20Salvador%20Dali%20film.jpg

I liked the Bo Derek one better. Mud scene! lol

I'll give you Buck and Zorro (even though I can't imagine they'd receive much, if any critical acclaim), but Tarzan started out as a novel and which Phantom? Because The Phantom's origins are in comics.

Technically, Buck Rogers is also kind of a comic character, since he wasn't named "Buck" in the pulps. His name was Anthony Rogers and it was changed to Buck Rogers for the comic strip.

Tarzan's first appearance was in All-Story October 1912. There are about 20 known copies to exist, ballpark VF price is $40,000+. Other early Tarzan pulps are also very expensive. (The novel came later,FYI.)

There's another Conan movie in the works. The guy from Pixar is doing a John Carter of Mars movie, coming out next year. There was also talk of a new Doc Savage movie, don't know what's happened to that one. Sam Raimi wants to take a crack at The Shadow, and Del Toro was going to make a movie based on the famous H.P. Lovecraft story "At the Mountains of Madness."

DC recently brought back Doc Savage and a few other pulp heroes, but I don't know which comic book they're in.

Tarzan's first appearance was in All-Story October 1912. There are about 20 known copies to exist, ballpark VF price is $40,000+. Other early Tarzan pulps are also very expensive. (The novel came later,FYI.)

I've read that much, by why does Wikipedia refer to Burroughs first work as a novel? And they actually refer to All-Story as a pulp magazine. Novel's, pulps and magazines are all different formats, aren't they?