• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got to Love the Steranko

30 posts in this topic

Steranko's layouts were over the top. I've always loved this book!

You can really see the Kirby influence. Wow! Look at those knuckles!

CaptainAmerica110CGC9_8.jpg

Steranko07.jpg

I saw Steranko back in the early '90s, about the time all the Image stuff was catching on, We thumbed through this issue and when we got to this page he laughed. He drew Cap's legs insanely out of proportion, almost cartoonish. Ironically that had become the norm for superheroes that day.

Most of Steranko's 2 page splashes were tributes to his fave centerfold Simon/Kirby Capt America splashes. I love Steranko also and am amazed he got so much mileage out of was it 21 comics that he drew. Half of those may have been 8 page story arcs. e.g. Strange Tales, Our Love Story # 5, Marvel horror #1. :acclaim:

I was just thinking the same thing... with a little acid added in. :grin:

I was just thinking the same thing... with a little acid added in. :grin:

Nah! Steranko was too old-school cool for all that psychedelic hippie garbage...he got high on his own BAD self!!!! :)

But seriously...I actually corresponded with him (once!) when I was 12 or 13 years old (back in the '70s), but I never met him in person until the late '90s or so. He was smaller (in stature) than I imagined he'd be, but he also reminded me of my dad and his brothers: i.e., a stand-up guy, tough if he had to be, probably kicked his fair share of @ss back in the day, but also pleasant, articulate, accommodating, and very smart. I'm still a fan for life...

Every time I see that cover now, I think of how the Hulk's right arm (the one reaching out for Bucky) was added later. Never noticed it until someone on the boards pointed it out a while back

Steranko is one of my favorites, probably top 3. I've always loved the cover to Cap 111& 113...and thanks to a fellow boardie hooking me up I have a nice signed copy of 113. I also love the cover to Fury #7, which I hope to have signed by him soon. He is a master of his craft.

I met Steranko at a show back in the mid to late 90's. Great guy.

Has to be the most influential comic book artist with the smallest amount of output in all of comics. Just a great talent.

I think one of the reasons he is so well respected in comics is because his "greatness" wasn't limited to just comics (or drawing for that matter). He didn't need comics as much as they needed him.

He came in, made an impact and then left to pursue other things, unlike other artists who come in and then don't leave.