• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another international winner on domestic only auction

13 posts in this topic

OK, another one of these. I would like for you to give me a thumbs up/down/suggestions on my response.

Here's the buyer's initial e-mail:

I used buy it now on the above 2 auctions. I didn't realise you only ship to the US. Is there any way you can ship airmail insured to the UK? I can pay by Paypal and have a verified address.

Here's my proposed response:

I will only ship to the UK if you pay the exact costs for expedited insured and confirmed delivery, as I need insurance on the value and I need confirmation via signature. There are potential concerns I have with PayPal from an international perspective so I may ask if you can pay with an international money order .

Since we are essentially outside of the parameters outlined in the auction, these are the options I can offer you. If you feel uncomfortable with these options and you are willing to pay my eBay listing and final value fees, we can both null these BINs no harm no foul.

Please contact me in regards in how you would like to proceed:

With recent threads about PayPal chargebacks, should I be concerned? I plan on getting confirmation (signature) on delivery--will this be enough for an international transaction?

Thanks in advance,

Sterling

I'm sure it will all be fine, why is there such a stigma over accepting international bids? As long as the pay all shipping costs I don't see the problem. You are just as likely to get stiffed by a local. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, but with a local there is a chance that you could successfully jump through PayPal's seventeen hoops and see your money back by proving the shipment was received....

With an international customer there is no chance...

I'm sure it will all be fine, why is there such a stigma over accepting international bids? As long as the pay all shipping costs I don't see the problem. You are just as likely to get stiffed by a local. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, I do want to sell international---I am only home on weekends and really just don't have the time to prepare more complex shipments (customs etc). However, since this has happened TWICE on my recent auctions, I'm rapidly reconsisdering my policy.

My concern was voiced in lighthouse's response--I don't mind doing it, but I do want to reduce my risk. Maybe I just feel "more comfortable" with domestic. confused-smiley-013.gif

Have him pay you via money order from bidpay.com. Then he CAN'T get his money back. You'll still get the MO relatively soon, though a few days later than PayPal. Just don't ship the book until it arrives. If he wants to know why no PayPal for him, just tell him that PayPal doesn't give you recourse against an international bidder.

OK, another one of these. I would like for you to give me a thumbs up/down/suggestions on my response.

Here's the buyer's initial e-mail:

I used buy it now on the above 2 auctions. I didn't realise you only ship to the US. Is there any way you can ship airmail insured to the UK? I can pay by Paypal and have a verified address.

Here's my proposed response:

I will only ship to the UK if you pay the exact costs for expedited insured and confirmed delivery, as I need insurance on the value and I need confirmation via signature. There are potential concerns I have with PayPal from an international perspective so I may ask if you can pay with an international money order .

Since we are essentially outside of the parameters outlined in the auction, these are the options I can offer you. If you feel uncomfortable with these options and you are willing to pay my eBay listing and final value fees, we can both null these BINs no harm no foul.

Please contact me in regards in how you would like to proceed:

With recent threads about PayPal chargebacks, should I be concerned? I plan on getting confirmation (signature) on delivery--will this be enough for an international transaction?

Thanks in advance,

Sterling

Just look at the feedback and see how much he buys from the US. I buy 90%+ from overseas and whenever I contact US-only sellers, they're always happy to accomodate me (thus far). Admittedly I've never made the mistake of not noticing until after the auctions closed, but if he has history, you should be ok. At worst, ask him to set up a free bidpay account.

You will not be protected under the Paypal seller protection policy with an international order. I wish it were different, but it isn't. I have used the policy to get my money back on a domestic order, so I am extremely leery of doing international orders.

Ok guys, It's true that Paypal reverse payments are tough to tackle when originated from overseas bidders.

On the other hand, consider this : If an overseas bidder has a perfect feedback and buys 90% of their stuffs frm the US, there's no reason why he should start from robbing you all of a sudden insane.gif

In addition to that, don't forget the european currency is currently strong against US $, which means european bidders allow themselves to bid high these days 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just trying to speak on behalf of my fellow european bidders... hi.gif

It hurts double since he popped your BIN, no 2nd place bidder. Your offer sounds perfectly fine. FYI, I currently have shipped to Canada, England, Peru, and Australia without a hitch. However, that may just mean that the odds are against me. Of course each time, the bidder contacted me prior to his placing the bid so we could work out the arrangement.