• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry Weist's Comic Art Price Guide 3rd Edition (2011)

69 posts in this topic

Just received an email from Heritage for advertisers in the new OA price guide. The new price guide is scheduled for release in Spring 2011.

There was a thread here months ago about the merits of an OA price guide, and the majority felt that it would be difficult to create an accurate price guide for this hobby.

I don't think it can hurt. (Has CAF updated it's market data in the past nine months?)

people who want price guides are dooming their hobby. a price guide is a speculator's tool that changes the market for true collectors who are responsible for the existence of a particular hobby to begin with and speculators only care about dollars.

My perspective is simple = It's only worth something at the very moment it's being traded for cash. When it's in your closet or on your wall, it's only value is of a spiritual nature. If when your friends come over & you have comic art on the wall and you say "isn't that cool. I love it" .. then you are a collector. If however you then say "and it's worth $10,000 dollars" - then you are either looking for an ego boost, or you are not as interested in the art as you are the money. If you aren;'t selling it - it isn't worth any cash.. it's only worth the spiritual enjoyment you get from the item which is why you're collecting. I have lots of worthless stuff sitting in my vault. It's my "spiritual cache". It will be someone else's money tree.

concerning the question posed by boca. any of the previous editions will be just as useful and the reality is that better information is gleaned from the Heritage site, Comiclink, fleaBay, dealers and whatever other online resources there are. Nothing beats education, but there won't be very much useful education in a Price Guide.

My perspective is simple = It's only worth something at the very moment it's being traded for cash. When it's in your closet or on your wall, it's only value is of a spiritual nature.

Spiritual nature? That doesn't help me decide how much to bid on my next Rob Liefeld panel page.

If done right, it could be a nice publication that serves also as a coffee table type book to properly show original artwork in larger sizes rather than thumbnail examples.

I think it's a good idea in that if it shows some of the various pieces (both major and minor) that have sold via auction houses, dealers or eBay, at least it provides a context, accurate or not, of what artwork has sold for and when it did.

I still get a kick out of seeing the old "Graphic Collectibles" catalogs (pre-internet days) and the prices art went for in years past compared to the values of today those pieces would command... sort of a testament to Mitch's longevity in the industry with fair market pricing and access to great artwork.

I think another line item in the guide that would be nice is comments on which artists accept commissions and what they charged as well as contact information, so this also becomes a practical reference guide.

As many collectors have mentioned, with original art being one of a kind and value subjective to the laws of supply and demand, it's going to be a guide book, not a rule book, so I don't think it would harm the hobby by having it published, since most expert collectors know what they're willing to pay for their artwork and what it's worth to them ultimately to buy/sell/trade.

So, it would be nice to see it solicited more as a historical reference guide than as a price guide like the last edition had with almost meaningless price ranges of art by certain artists. I'd focus on specifics with a lot more illustrations (alnog with examples of what sold when for how much) than unsubstantied text and speculative or generic pricing.

Is Heritage behind the guide?

Volumes 1 and 2 were written and edited by Jerry Weist (ex-Sotheby's comic & OA advisor to their auctions). Perhaps he is in partnership with HA.com's significant OA scans and pricing archive? (shrug)

Is Heritage behind the guide?

Volumes 1 and 2 were written and edited by Jerry Weist (ex-Sotheby's comic & OA advisor to their auctions). Perhaps he is in partnership with HA.com's significant OA scans and pricing archive? (shrug)

It would just seem like a conflict of interest if HA was putting out a price guide. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to list aggressive prices?

It would just seem like a conflict of interest if HA was putting out a price guide. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to list aggressive prices?

it depends on how altruistic they are

this is actually what I see as the biggest problem with the Comic Book Price Guide not showing factual prices

this is actually what I see as the biggest problem with the Comic Book Price Guide not showing factual prices

The same could be said about Overstreet Price guide, but that is still going strong in an era when GPA and the abundance of data points on the web, make the pricing information pretty much useless.

I think that any Price Guide if used as a refernce tool has merit. That is one of the reasons why i use Overstreet as well as to capture a snapshop of what average comics that do not fluctuate wildly are priced at. If we think of this Comic Art Price Guide in much the same way, i'm sure there will be usefull information and pricing on many many pages, that will be very relevant.

The same could be said about Overstreet Price guide, but that is still going strong in an era when GPA and the abundance of data points on the web, make the pricing information pretty much useless.

I think that any Price Guide if used as a refernce tool has merit. That is one of the reasons why i use Overstreet as well as to capture a snapshop of what average comics that do not fluctuate wildly are priced at. If we think of this Comic Art Price Guide in much the same way, i'm sure there will be usefull information and pricing on many many pages, that will be very relevant.

what Comic Book Price Guide did you think I was talking about?

This entire hobby is one big conflict of interest. I can count on one hand the people in it that can give you unbiased advice and have a couple of fingers left over.