• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recently purchased a CGG graded comic....and guess what?

416 posts in this topic

Wish I knew comics like I did baseball cards.

Wish I knew women like I did comics.

But if many of your comics are graded does that mean that you rarely touch them? grin.gif

I like to "play" with my raw comics but it is hard to read my wife (figuratively). Graded comics are fun to look at but not fun to play with. I like to look at beautiful women but can't play with them (married). I guess all beautiful women are like slabbed comics to me. I can look all I want but can't actually touch them. Sometimes it is hard to resist "crackin' open the slab" blush.gif if ya' know what I mean. -----Sid

Update on ASM #122, CGG 9.4.

I spoke with Donovan (head grader for CGG) earlier this evening and he graciously agreed to send the comic to CGC for a second opinion. He also agreed to pay for postage. More good service from CGG! If anyone can contact CGC and ask them to expedite the findings/grade so that the results can be posted here, I would greatly appreciate it.

You wanna make this interesting? I am willing to bet four people $25 each that this book being sent to CGC for a second opinion comes back as UNrestored and NOT trimmed. If I lose I will pay the winners immediately through PayPal upon the word one way or another from MW1. -----Sid

OK, just to make this interesting, I'm going to accept your wager of $25. I could very well be wrong, but I see too many problems. I'll post an image of CGC's grade as soon as I receive it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Update on ASM #122, CGG 9.4.

I spoke with Donovan (head grader for CGG) earlier this evening and he graciously agreed to send the comic to CGC for a second opinion. He also agreed to pay for postage. More good service from CGG! If anyone can contact CGC and ask them to expedite the findings/grade so that the results can be posted here, I would greatly appreciate it.

You wanna make this interesting? I am willing to bet four people $25 each that this book being sent to CGC for a second opinion comes back as UNrestored and NOT trimmed. If I lose I will pay the winners immediately through PayPal upon the word one way or another from MW1. -----Sid

OK, just to make this interesting, I'm going to accept your wager of $25. I could very well be wrong, but I see too many problems. I'll post an image of CGC's grade as soon as I receive it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sounds good MW1. I could be wrong but I have seen many books with similar problems that were unaltered. Anyway, if it takes a few weeks to get the results and I forget about this thread then just PM me with the results when you get them and if I am wrong I'll PayPal you the $25 right away and leave a post on this thread claiming that you are victorious and that my belief in CGG's trimming detection is highly in doubt. BUT, I don't think that will happen. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif ----Sid

Holy cow. That is a $1,500 book now. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

The results:

ASM #122 - CGG 9.4

ASM #122 - CGC 9.6

Looks like I lost the bet. I never thought that CGC would slab it, much less give it a grade of 9.6....an interesting CGG/CGC experiment!

I think that this perfectly illustrates the subjective nature of grading and why the weight paid to one persons opinion over another persons - when the two people in question both have fairly solid credentials is ludicrous. Think about it - the original book a CGG 9.4 is worth $350, now the same book is worth $1500 because a different set of experts disagreed with other experts over .2 of a grade.

FFB is right the book would probably fetch $1250-1500 all because the Russian judge swayed one way and the Chinese judge the other. insane.gif its arbitrary and the reason why I refuse to pay the insane multiples for a .2 difference.

Im sure the $25 your out doesnt seem so bad now does it.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif What happens when a 3rd, 3rd party grading service says its a 9.8...... tonofbricks.gif

I'd like to extend a special thanks to Donovan and Daniel over at CGG. They took the time to meticulously explain everything and they even submitted the comic to CGC for me. I can't imagine better service than this.

Great job, guys! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Further questions this whole scenerio brings forth, why is the CGC 9.6 worth more? It would seem to me that the tougher the opinion of the grading company the more $$$$ the book would bring, and yet I agree that the CGC book fetches more in open market.

So did CGG undergrade? Did CGC overgrade? When its .2 who the hell knows. You could potentially send the book back to both CGG, and CGC and the grades would be reversed. And what would that indicate? Does that restore order and balance, as CGC is now the tougher grading company? And herein lies the tragedy, insane multiples are being paid based on reputation and consistency - as well as implied definitions of the word guarantee. Can either grading company guarantee absolute consistency, the answer is no.

The problem comes when the insinuation is made as I think there is a belief in the marketplace that CGC and to a lesser extent CGG have taken the guess work out or grading.. news.gif you'll excuse me as I think there have been many illustrations, this being one of them that uniformity in comic grading is a pipe dream. Its not CGC's and CGG fault that this has become gospel in the comic marketplace, oh I'm sure they fan the flames here and there, but it is obviously the dealers that broker this Iron Clad guarantee of grading absolute cocnsistency, to borrow terms from various auctions, and why? Well $1500 is alot more than $350 the last time I checked. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think they both overgraded the book. With that soft URC, the tiny chips/edge tears on the right and lower edges of the front cover, and the wear on the ULC of the back cover, I wouldn't have given the book a 9.4. I am really surprised that CGC gave it a 9.6.

Further questions this whole scenerio brings forth, why is the CGC 9.6 worth more? It would seem to me that the tougher the opinion of the grading company the more $$$$ the book would bring, and yet I agree that the CGC book fetches more in open market.

So did CGG undergrade? Did CGC overgrade? When its .2 who the hell knows. You could potentially send the book back to both CGG, and CGC and the grades would be reversed. And what would that indicate? Does that restore order and balance, as CGC is now the tougher grading company? And herein lies the tragedy, insane multiples are being paid based on reputation and consistency - as well as implied definitions of the word guarantee. Can either grading company guarantee absolute consistency, the answer is no.

The problem comes when the insinuation is made as I think there is a belief in the marketplace that CGC and to a lesser extent CGG have taken the guess work out or grading.. news.gif you'll excuse me as I think there have been many illustrations, this being one of them that uniformity in comic grading is a pipe dream. Its not CGC's and CGG fault that this has become gospel in the comic marketplace, oh I'm sure they fan the flames here and there, but it is obviously the dealers that broker this Iron Clad guarantee of grading absolute cocnsistency, to borrow terms from various auctions, and why? Well $1500 is alot more than $350 the last time I checked. confused-smiley-013.gif

so your point is - don't use third party grading b/c it's all just smoke and mirrors anyway...and we're all better off trusting the raw grading of unproven dealers whose standards we are not familiar with. And we should adopt and push this propaganda forth thru ebay and the comic community so that you can buy your high grade comics, hell, all comics cheaper and that would be the biggest boon to the industry and this is exactly what we need and are all striving for as comic collectors? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif ...um .. yeah.. good luck with this one insane.gif

I think his point was that people shouldn't be paying ridiculous multiples of guide just because CGC gives a book a 9.6 versus a 9.4 or a 9.2. I think he's got a point there, as I believe that the book is a 9.2, yet it's going to carry a 9.6 price.

so your point is - don't use third party grading b/c it's all just smoke and mirrors anyway...and we're all better off trusting the raw grading of unproven dealers whose standards we are not familiar with. And we should adopt and push this propaganda forth thru ebay and the comic community so that you can buy your high grade comics, hell, all comics cheaper and that would be the biggest boon to the industry and this is exactly what we need and are all striving for as comic collectors? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif ...um .. yeah.. good luck with this one insane.gif

I think his point was that people shouldn't be paying ridiculous multiples of guide just because CGC gives a book a 9.6 versus a 9.4 or a 9.2. I think he's got a point there, as I believe that the book is a 9.2, yet it's going to carry a 9.6 price.

I guess the next most logical thing to do is to test that theory and list the comic on eBay.

... when the two people in question both have fairly solid credentials ...

27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Ok 'lock I'll engage you why is my statement so funny / naughty.

What are CGG graders solid credentials? Are they OS advisors?