• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I recently purchased a CGG graded comic....and guess what?

416 posts in this topic

Go for it. Please post the link when you do.

I think his point was that people shouldn't be paying ridiculous multiples of guide just because CGC gives a book a 9.6 versus a 9.4 or a 9.2. I think he's got a point there, as I believe that the book is a 9.2, yet it's going to carry a 9.6 price.

I guess the next most logical thing to do is to test that theory and list the comic on eBay.

I think he's got a point there, as I believe that the book is a 9.2, yet it's going to carry a 9.6 price.

Not after I point all his bidders to this thread. insane.gif

893whatthe.gif

... when the two people in question both have fairly solid credentials ...

27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Ok 'lock I'll engage you why is my statement so funny / naughty.

What are CGG graders solid credentials? Are they OS advisors?

Hey, if Darth can be an OS advisor then I don't put much weight on that as being some kind of qualifier. devil.gif

Hey, if Darth can be an OS advisor then I don't put much weight on that as being some kind of qualifier. devil.gif

It's slightly better than grabbing someone off the street to grade your books.

I think his point was that people shouldn't be paying ridiculous multiples of guide just because CGC gives a book a 9.6 versus a 9.4 or a 9.2. I think he's got a point there, as I believe that the book is a 9.2, yet it's going to carry a 9.6 price.

so your point is - don't use third party grading b/c it's all just smoke and mirrors anyway...and we're all better off trusting the raw grading of unproven dealers whose standards we are not familiar with. And we should adopt and push this propaganda forth thru ebay and the comic community so that you can buy your high grade comics, hell, all comics cheaper and that would be the biggest boon to the industry and this is exactly what we need and are all striving for as comic collectors? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif ...um .. yeah.. good luck with this one insane.gif

and i agree with his point - so don't buy super HG slabbed books. buy the 9.0's or whatever will make one happy. man i have to go back and read thru this thread - looks like 'ol bassgman laid one on a couple of folks. i can't even remember which side of the argument i was on??? blush.gifblush.gif

Well, I guess better is better. insane.gif

In all seriousness though, I've seen how some OS advisors grade so IMO knowing how to grade and being an OS advisor are two different things. Darth happens to be an advisor and knows how to grade (at least in the 9.4 - 10 range 27_laughing.gif), but that's just a coincidence.

so your point is - don't use third party grading b/c it's all just smoke and mirrors anyway...and we're all better off trusting the raw grading of unproven dealers whose standards we are not familiar with. And we should adopt and push this propaganda forth thru ebay and the comic community so that you can buy your high grade comics, hell, all comics cheaper and that would be the biggest boon to the industry and this is exactly what we need and are all striving for as comic collectors? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif ...um .. yeah.. good luck with this one insane.gif

Multiples of guide have always been paid for high grade key books even b4 3rd party grading. can't pin that on CGC. remember that you are grading a scan that magnifies flaws sometimes..."spine dings/blunt corners appear much worse than they are in hand."

This is true. No doubt about it. But some of the multiples that CGC graded books seem to get are based more on the label and less on the actual appearance of the book. And the spread between 9.4 and 9.6 for silver and bronze is ridiculous, even when the books are accurately graded. And let's not even bring 9.8 into the discussion.

Multiples of guide have always been paid for high grade key books even b4 3rd party grading. can't pin that on CGC. remember that you are grading a scan that magnifies flaws sometimes..."spine dings/blunt corners appear much worse than they are in hand."

No Darth again you extrapelate out of context to form generalizations, my point was that paying $1200 for a subjective opinion in a artform that has some enormous grey areas is insane. I think ppl are paying huge multiples based on the idea of something that doesnt exist. If you read my post I dont blame CGC for this in fact I acknowledge the fact that 100 % grading consistency is an unattainable illusion, BUT it is an illusion that is currently being used as a presupposition to generate alot of money.

I respect alot of the People who contribute as OS advisors, In fact I have purchase significant $$$ of books off advisors but come now - are these the only ppl in the world capable of accurately grading a comic book. MH Chuck is an advisor is he not, you'll have to forgive me as I dont read the OS advisors report from front to back. Anyone who takes these opinions as gospel is living in a fantasy land. As I've always said and will always maintain. If you want a good laugh / insight into the objective nature of the OS advisors reports - or lack thereof, read the ones from 1993-1996 ish hahahaha then come back and talk to me about rhetoric.

Well, I guess better is better. insane.gif

In all seriousness though, I've seen how some OS advisors grade so IMO knowing how to grade and being an OS advisor are two different things. Darth happens to be an advisor and knows how to grade (at least in the 9.4 - 10 range 27_laughing.gif), but that's just a coincidence.

Not saying that being an OS advisor means you know how to grade. It only gives you some credentials in the industry. After all Chuck R. is an OS advisor and we know how well he grades. 27_laughing.gif Advisors are used for their knowledge in areas of expertise.

I guess the next most logical thing to do is to test that theory and list the comic on eBay.

First you should make nice with the seller grin.gif, poor guy is probably still on edge, and for Petes sake give him his 12th 893naughty-thumb.gif feedback that he deserves

Hi guys. I'm the one that bet MW1 that CGG made the right call on the lack of restoration (trimming). First off, don't worry about it MW1. You can keep the $25. I do appreciate how you brought this concern to the forum and took the trouble to have your book shipped all around for verification. I have no problem with your actions as you were just looking for answers and opinions of board members and trained professionals. However, I DO have a problem with all the bad mouthing of CGG by so many OTHER board members that were 95% positive and absolutely sure that CGG was wrong and that not only was it TRIMMED, but that it was also OVERGRADED!!!!. So, now CGC comes back, agrees with CGG's assessment and even grades it HIGHER!!!! So, for all of you complainiong about how CGG overgraded the book, looks like CGC is the one with egg all over their faces now. You guys must REALLY think that CGC is out of whack. You must all have alot more respect for CGG now. Right? I certainly hope so. I keep trying to get many of you guys to open up your brand-loyalty to others. As I have said before, CGC to many is like your local sports team. You like them better just because you are familiar with them, and closer to them.

And please, don't accuse me of having ties with CGG. I use both companies equally and think they are both great. For all you out there bad mouthing CGG and tarnishing their reputation over this, I honestly believe that you owe them an apology as being a small company as they are, any bad press can really hurt the bottom line. And unfortunately the smear campaign going on here by some people may have hurt this company a bit.

OK, my lecture is over. Congrats MW1, now you can make a profit on your book although I think $1,500 is a tad high, but you can certainly try. With your profit it may serve you well to give CGG some business as I imagine they have now earned your respect. ---------Sid

First you should make nice with the seller grin.gif, poor guy is probably still on edge, and for Petes sake give him his 12th 893naughty-thumb.gif feedback that he deserves

Done.

How will this effect the sales of CGG graded comics "potentially undergraded" and the submitting "potentially undergraded" or is this just a anomaly? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

50/50 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, this person looks like he will make out, but the other forum member wasn't as lucky 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

However, I DO have a problem with all the bad mouthing of CGG by so many OTHER board members that were 95% positive and absolutely sure that CGG was wrong and that not only was it TRIMMED, but that it was also OVERGRADED!!!!. So, now CGC comes back, agrees with CGG's assessment and even grades it HIGHER!!!! So, for all of you complainiong about how CGG overgraded the book, looks like CGC is the one with egg all over their faces now. You guys must REALLY think that CGC is out of whack. You must all have alot more respect for CGG now. Right? I certainly hope so.

Maybe the book got pressed in the mailstream tongue.gif Maybe CGG undergrades their keys? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Why would CGC have egg on their face...

People were calling it overgraded from a scan 893frustrated.gif If that is how you want to determine condition, have at it...I prefer to hold the book in my hands before maing the final call. Scans can help in cases like the GRading Forum where someone who is unsure on grade, posts a big scan for fellow members to scrutinize, and in turn get a consensus ONLY, not a true final grade. I would trust the word of a qualified grader who actually held the book and checked it over over a consensus based on a scan.

I keep trying to get many of you guys to open up your brand-loyalty to others. As I have said before, CGC to many is like your local sports team. You like them better just because you are familiar with them, and closer to them.

Still doesn't change my opinion in the least of both companies... why should it? confused-smiley-013.gif I see no damning proof that would make me goout and sell all my CGC inventory now before this touted impending inevitable and destined "crash" sends us all to the poorhouse, where we all belong to atone for our sins of driving up prices on high grade comics?

And please, don't accuse me of having ties with CGG. I use both companies equally and think they are both great. For all you out there bad mouthing CGG and tarnishing their reputation over this, I honestly believe that you owe them an apology as being a small company as they are, any bad press can really hurt the bottom line. And unfortunately the smear campaign going on here by some people may have hurt this company a bit.

I usually am less vocal about CGG, but now I should apologize? For what? Expressing an opinion on preference of third party grading companies? Smear campaign...get real...When I first came on here I took more abuse for selling high grade slabbed moderns at then unheard of prices and have been since surpassed by other current sellers in the degree of so-called "fleecing" - where's my apology? Yeah, I'm sure that one will be forthcoming...I won't hold my breath 893frustrated.gif

OK, my lecture is over.

Oh, great...You can put the soapbox away now insane.gif

It take a lot more than a .2 differential to earn my respect and my spending dollars ...