• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was the WW NY show "real"

28 posts in this topic

Just spoke to someone who was there. Not a lot of vintage comics there but the dealers that did show up did reasonably well.

Guy who works with me had a table, he didn't even make his overhead. Missed out on overtime that would have made more money than he did at the convention. I think WW made a grave error not seeing the writing on the wall, and changing the date when NYCC muscled in, even though WW was there first. The dealers who bought tables were stuck since they couldn't get a refund. WW should have been bigger and changed the date when it seemed inevitable that the NYCC was going to steal the show.

I thought NYCC was there first; they announced the October show in April '09.

If I recall correctly, Wizard initially wanted to go head to head on the same weekend and only rescheduled to this week when it looked like they were toast. I remember looking at the program last year at the pier and thinking, well, that's just dumb.

If I recall correctly, Wizard initially wanted to go head to head on the same weekend and only rescheduled to this week when it looked like they were toast. I remember looking at the program last year at the pier and thinking, well, that's just dumb.

But...but... surely fans would rather attend a Wizard show, rather than some other gathering... (shrug)

That's how I understood it as well.