• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Anatomy of a Proper Press!

122 posts in this topic

I am going to post "before and after" pictures of comic books that have gone through the pressing process. All of these books I have pressed. I think this will be a helpful and educational thread for those who are not very familiar with pressing, and what pressing can and cannot do (or at least I hope it will be).

Please excuse the lighting variations as it is difficult to get the exact same lighting conditions for before and after pictures (as it takes about an hour to properly put a comic book through the pressing procedure).

I will continue to add to this thread as time goes on, and submissions continue to come in.

"Pictures speak louder than words". :preach:

First up... :whee:

A mid-grade Tales of Suspense #97

As you can see from this first picture of the inside back cover, the top right corner is severely folded inwards. The tip of the corner itself is abraded which of course is common with a mid-grade book, but the larger fold can be improved upon.

Corner2b.png

Here in the "after" picture, the fold is greatly improved upon.

Corner2a.png

Next...

Tales of Suspense #97

A full spine crease can be viewed in the first picture. If this crease were not in a white area, it would break color.

Spine1b.png

Here in the after picture the crease has been diminished in severity. Because it was a full color-breaking crease (even though it is in a white area), it cannot be removed 100%. I would say that it improved 80% from where it started.

Spine1a.png

Next!

Beware #5 (great cover)

In the first picture you will notice a thick crease and a fairly severe bindery tear. The crease can be taken care of. Unfortunately, bindery tears can only be helped out somewhat (depending on how bad they are).

Corner1b.png

Here in the after picture, the crease was diminished in severity probably 95%.

Corner1a.png

Why didn't you add this to your marketplace thread?

I thought this would be more of a thread for general knowledge on pressing. I guess it could have gone in the "comic grading and restoration issues" section. (shrug)

I think the marketplace, not general or grading and issues, is where you should advertise your service.

In an effort to show potential clients the qualities of my American Comics and Collectibles LLC. pressing service, I am going to post "before and after" pictures of comic books that have gone through the pressing process.

doh!

Exactly. This is not some general thread about the pressing process. It's an advertisement. It shouldn't be in General.

In an effort to show potential clients the qualities of my American Comics and Collectibles LLC. pressing service, I am going to post "before and after" pictures of comic books that have gone through the pressing process.

doh!

Exactly. This is not some general thread about the pressing process. It's an advertisement. It shouldn't be in General.

Removed my business name and edited the first post. Happy now? :insane:

doh!

I appreciate information on pressing and this thread is very interesting to me.

doh!

I appreciate information on pressing and this thread is very interesting to me.

Perhaps KOR should consider editing his initial post to remove the self promotion

and promote himself in his sig. line.

Yeah, I did.

I removed it after seeing the complaints from other guys. :banana:

I'd be interested in seeing head-on views of the spine edge and outer page edge to compare the flatness of the comic before and after pressing, and to see the extent to which pressing destroys the plumpness of a fresh spine.

I have a question. What does pressing do to the fibers in the paper? It would seem to me that the fibers would need to be pressed down past the crease to "cover it up". Surely, this would forever change the fibers in the paper and put the comic at risk for a much shorter life span?