• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Anatomy of a Proper Press!

122 posts in this topic

I would like to see close-up pics of the equipment and the process explained in detail.

The pressers likely want to protect their trade and won't reveal that info. Pics of the process were posted in the grading and restoration forum years ago, but CGC deleted the thread years later for reasons we can only guess. :mad:

"Pictures speak louder than words". :preach:

First up... :whee:

A mid-grade Tales of Suspense #97

As you can see from this first picture of the inside back cover, the top right corner is severely folded inwards. The tip of the corner itself is abraded which of course is common with a mid-grade book, but the larger fold can be improved upon.

Corner2b.png

Here in the "after" picture, the fold is greatly improved upon.

Corner2a.png

Is this a scanner effect or does the paper quality on the second scan have some tanning/browning that was not present in the 1st scan ?

I have a question. What does pressing do to the fibers in the paper? It would seem to me that the fibers would need to be pressed down past the crease to "cover it up". Surely, this would forever change the fibers in the paper and put the comic at risk for a much shorter life span?

It straightens the fibers. The light humidity and heat used during pressing reduce the lifespan of the book by accelerating the acidic degradation of the book by an infinitesimal amount, but it's nowhere close to contributing to a "much shorter" lifespan.

I'm not sure what you mean by pressing "down past the create to cover it up." ???

The only way I can see to make a crease disappear is to crush the paper fibers down just past the crease.

"Pictures speak louder than words". :preach:

First up... :whee:

A mid-grade Tales of Suspense #97

As you can see from this first picture of the inside back cover, the top right corner is severely folded inwards. The tip of the corner itself is abraded which of course is common with a mid-grade book, but the larger fold can be improved upon.

Corner2b.png

Here in the "after" picture, the fold is greatly improved upon.

Corner2a.png

Is this a scanner effect or does the paper quality on the second scan have some tanning/browning that was not present in the 1st scan ?

These are actually all digital photos.

The book is tanned. Tanning halo on the inside of the covers. :(

These are actually all digital photos.

The book is tanned. Tanning halo on the inside of the covers. :(

Yea but he means the colors are drastically different on the book between photos in such a way that one could incorrectly assume the pressing process severely tanned the book. Note that the background behind the comic also significantly changed colors; looks like the lighting somehow changed between shots.

I'm not sure what you mean by pressing "down past the create to cover it up." ???
The only way I can see to make a crease disappear is to crush the paper fibers down just past the crease.

Still not getting you--your description makes it sound like the fibers are a bad combover by a balding guy. The humidity and heat relax the fibers and make them pliable; pressure then molds them back to being flat. Not enough pressure is used to "crush" anything.

this is a very informative thread. and after seeing the wonders of pressing, i will laugh in the face of anyone who claims that the collapse in prices of high grade books is due to the economy

Yeah. 26% of the country being unemployed has nothing to do with the drop in prices. :eyeroll:

I also believe that pressing comics to ultra high rare grades now makes a bigger supply thus driving down prices. Simple supply and demand type of thing.

I've been selling comics the last 2+ decades at shows and some of my best for total sales have been the last 3-4 years when the economy has tanked.

The main comics with the big drop in sales/prices has been high grade CGC comics. The rest of my stuff has been steady.

Leroy

Still not getting you--your description makes it sound like the fibers are a bad combover by a balding guy. The humidity and heat relax the fibers and make them pliable; pressure then molds them back to being flat. Not enough pressure is used to "crush" anything.

Oh, really? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here but, this theory has not been proven to me yet. I happen to know a whole lot about wood fibers. Paper fibers are not much different.

I went ahead and did one more book tonight because it was an easy fix. I pulled this Ghost Rider #15 (1990s series) from a freebie bag that I got from a Fantasy Comics purchase.

Before, you see a very noticeable ding in the corner.

Corner6b.png

After, you can see that in this instance the defect appears to be completely removed.

Corner6a.png

I went ahead and did one more book tonight because it was an easy fix. I pulled this Ghost Rider #15 (1990s series) from a freebie bag that I got from a Fantasy Comics purchase.

Before, you see a very noticeable ding in the corner.

Corner6b.png

After, you can see that in this instance the defect appears to be completely removed.

Corner6a.png

This also appears to be an example where the "plumpness" namisgr referred to got removed by the press. I see enough books that have a hard, flat fold that are unpressed for me to not see this as anything being destroyed. I'm not sure if they sometimes get folded hard on the printing press or all those years being compressed in a tight Mylar straightens the spine fold on some books. (shrug)

Thank you!

It is difficult to explain, but in a sense, all of them were "spot pressed". I don't work on areas of the spine of a book that don't require work. I target specific areas for improvement. Same thing with the corners. It is not just one general "press" and you're done. I target what will be worked on. I can leave one area fixed and leave an area right next to it with a big fat crease if I wanted to.

I don't think there ever was any plumpness in that book. Look at the first picture, in the very apex of the corner. It is sharp before even being pressed.

Yea could be, I just noticed the lighting is also different between the shots. The shadow visible down the spine on the before pic looks as if it's roundness not present in the after, but that entire before photo is darker so that could be an illusion.

Where's the "anatomy" part, you know, the detailed analysis? All I'm seeing is the ShamWow infomercial. :popcorn:

I don't think this was meant as a joke. Where is the "anatomy" of a proper press here? (shrug)

In an effort to show potential clients the qualities of my American Comics and Collectibles LLC. pressing service, I am going to post "before and after" pictures of comic books that have gone through the pressing process.

doh!

Exactly. This is not some general thread about the pressing process. It's an advertisement. It shouldn't be in General.

Removed my business name and edited the first post. Happy now? :insane:

Now that it's been removed from General, yes! :banana:

In an effort to show potential clients the qualities of my American Comics and Collectibles LLC. pressing service, I am going to post "before and after" pictures of comic books that have gone through the pressing process.

doh!

Exactly. This is not some general thread about the pressing process. It's an advertisement. It shouldn't be in General.

Removed my business name and edited the first post. Happy now? :insane:

Now that it's been removed from General, yes! :banana:

So why do the 12 other pressing threads get to stay in General? (shrug)