• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator

After Georgia crushes the Gators, will you go into your room and cry?

do you really have to ask? (shrug)

I think he's only laughing so far ... :gossip:

was a good game

Gator

After Georgia crushes the Gators, will you go into your room and cry?

do you really have to ask? (shrug)

I think he's only laughing so far ... :gossip:

I think he looks like this right now :eek:
definitely had some concern

Who are the Gators? (shrug)

Famed Walt Kelly golden age comic book character from which the Florida mascot got his name, of course. I'm sure someone around here collects Gators. (:

640572104_p2RWM-D-2.jpg

I tried to point this out to the GSMB (gator sports message board) some time back, about the Albert name, but was opposed by a 100 differenct origin explainations, but I sure like it being Kelly/comic related lol

Dear G.A.tor,

I was looking at date stamps and realised that books would have taken time to distribute across the US, and therefore there would be several possible dates stamped on a given issue. How big do you think the range of dates would be? A week? Two weeks? How long would it have taken to get a batch of comics to a gas station in the middle of Wyoming?

Inevitable follow-up question: since newspapers are printed in several cities precisely because they need to be on newsstands quickly, were comics ever printed in multiple places?

Thanks in advance for your insight into these questions that clearly do not merit a separate thread,

Andy

Dear G.A.tor,

I was looking at date stamps and realised that books would have taken time to distribute across the US, and therefore there would be several possible dates stamped on a given issue. How big do you think the range of dates would be? A week? Two weeks? How long would it have taken to get a batch of comics to a gas station in the middle of Wyoming?

Inevitable follow-up question: since newspapers are printed in several cities precisely because they need to be on newsstands quickly, were comics ever printed in multiple places?

Thanks in advance for your insight into these questions that clearly do not merit a separate thread,

Andy

I have seen same issues with date stamps a month apart...could have been transit time, could have been local distributor delays, could have been newstands issues... not sure anyone has really every researched in depth...

what we have to keep in mind is that the 4 color printing process that occured in the 1930's and 40's is relatively simplistic compared to today's technology... even Timely comics used former chesler/centaur printing facilities to produce books...so, multiple printers could have been (and likely were) used...but, they were still fairly regionally located together, so I have never heard, say, of there being superman 1's printed in NY and CAL in the same month...anyone else have more info, please share