• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Great analyses, Rick. (thumbs u

Granted that #34 is the weaker cover of the run, but $400? Really that low?

Also, re #35 -- a couple of .5 copies have sold at the $4500-5000 mark this year. I'd think a 1.0 would be a smidge higher than that. In my unbiased opinion of course. :angel:

Great analyses, Rick. (thumbs u

Granted that #34 is the weaker cover of the run, but $400? Really that low?

Also, re #35 -- a couple of .5 copies have sold at the $4500-5000 mark this year. I'd think a 1.0 would be a smidge higher than that. In my unbiased opinion of course. :angel:

a 2.0 sold for $750 recently, so yes, I figured if there was a 1.0, probably a little more than 1/2...

I remember a slight .5 tec 35 that sold for 3900 or so, but was unaware of any selling for more (shrug)

hey GAtor,

what do you think this might be worth? GPA has record of an 8.5 selling for $3200 in '03 and an 8.0 for $3500 in '06. checked the CGC census and this appears to be the highest graded, albeit restored, copy. the colors and white on this book really pop in hand. :cool:

what's your take? (shrug)hm

thanks!!

Dscf6552.jpg

Dscf6553.jpg

that is a stunning looking copy... unfortunately, the trimming will really take a toll on value...if it was just slight, with no trimming, i would say 50% of unrestored value...with the trim, 25% is most I would pay or value it at...so let's say an unrestored 9.0 would sell for 4K or so, then I would value this copy at 1K or so...give or take

ok...ok...tough room...tough crowd...but, uhhh...ok

rodney-dangerfield-redd-foxx.jpg

Dear GAtor,

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

c'mon man! Everybody knows a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

Dear Gator,

Let's say you're a bum who goes around picking up cigarette butts out of gutters. You realize that with the careful application of spit, you can put 5 cigarette butts together to make 1 cigarette, which you can then smoke and enjoy.

One day you scrounge around and find 25 cigarette butts. From this, how many cigarettes can you smoke?

Dear GAtor,

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

c'mon man! Everybody knows a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

agreed, I think that the woodchuck could chuck as much wood as he wanted

Dear Gator,

Are those your DARING's and Centaurs in the November Heritage auctions? hm

unfortunately not, as I sold them in SD this year... but they are my former copies (thumbs u

hey GAtor,

what do you think this might be worth? GPA has record of an 8.5 selling for $3200 in '03 and an 8.0 for $3500 in '06. checked the CGC census and this appears to be the highest graded, albeit restored, copy. the colors and white on this book really pop in hand. :cool:

what's your take? (shrug)hm

thanks!!

Dscf6552.jpg

Dscf6553.jpg

that is a stunning looking copy... unfortunately, the trimming will really take a toll on value...if it was just slight, with no trimming, i would say 50% of unrestored value...with the trim, 25% is most I would pay or value it at...so let's say an unrestored 9.0 would sell for 4K or so, then I would value this copy at 1K or so...give or take

ok...ok...tough room...tough crowd...but, uhhh...ok

keep in mind, there are some that don't view as negatively on trimming as the majority do...unfortunately, I am one of those that "really dislike" trimming... not sure why, but I do...so my valuation might be skewed negatively by it... but, i have seen similar higher grade slight timely's sell in approx. that % range (25% or so), and thus, that was the basis for my value consideration (thumbs u

Dear Gator,

Let's say you're a bum who goes around picking up cigarette butts out of gutters. You realize that with the careful application of spit, you can put 5 cigarette butts together to make 1 cigarette, which you can then smoke and enjoy.

One day you scrounge around and find 25 cigarette butts. From this, how many cigarettes can you smoke?

I would sell them for a buck a piece and buy me a nice hamburger at McD's (thumbs u

Dear Gator,

unfortunately not, as I sold them in SD this year... but they are my former copies (thumbs u

Dear GAtor:

Are there books sold anywhere that did not, at one time, belong to you?

Dear Gator,

Dear GAtor:

Are there books sold anywhere that did not, at one time, belong to you?

why yes, yes there are.... can't help it if I love to recycle comics :cloud9:

Dear Gator,

You've mentioned in the past that generally speaking, 1.0 is about the entry-level for what you might consider to be "collectible copies" of comics.

My question to you then is, what would you estimate the FMV to be for all of the Pre-Robin Tecs (27-37), unrestored in 1.0 condition?

interesting ...naturally, a myriad of factors would go into determining...not all 1.0's are created equal, so values could vary WIDELY...but, I'll take a stab:

27 in 1.0 is likely $60K- ish (maybe more, this book is tough to predict)... I bought a 1.0 cgc in 2006 for 39K...I also bought a 1.5 for $83K a year and a half ago, so maybe 80K is not unrealistic... too many variables to accurately guesstimate on this one...

28 in 1.0 is likely $5K (a 2.0 sold for about 6 or 8K not too long ago...kimik could chime in on this one)

29 in 1.0 is likely $7-8K (I know a 2.0 sold for 13K +, but that book was more the exception, imo...presented much nicer than a typical 2.0)

30 in 1.0 is likely $750-$1000ish

31 in 1.0 is likely 7-8K

32 in 1.0 is likely 750 or so

33 in 1.0 is likely 3-4K or so

34 in 1.0 is likely 400 or so

35 in 1.0 is likely 4-5K

36 in 1.0 is likely 1500 -2000

37 in 1.0 is likely 1500 -1700

naturally, tough to approximate as there are just not that many 1.0's out there, and they don't change hands frequently enough to really form trends...

So if in your opinion (in 1.0 at least), the hierarchy in terms of FMV goes as follows...

29/31

What do you expect that list to look like in 10 years?

Dear Gator,

You've mentioned in the past that generally speaking, 1.0 is about the entry-level for what you might consider to be "collectible copies" of comics.

My question to you then is, what would you estimate the FMV to be for all of the Pre-Robin Tecs (27-37), unrestored in 1.0 condition?

interesting ...naturally, a myriad of factors would go into determining...not all 1.0's are created equal, so values could vary WIDELY...but, I'll take a stab:

27 in 1.0 is likely $60K- ish (maybe more, this book is tough to predict)... I bought a 1.0 cgc in 2006 for 39K...I also bought a 1.5 for $83K a year and a half ago, so maybe 80K is not unrealistic... too many variables to accurately guesstimate on this one...

28 in 1.0 is likely $5K (a 2.0 sold for about 6 or 8K not too long ago...kimik could chime in on this one)

29 in 1.0 is likely $7-8K (I know a 2.0 sold for 13K +, but that book was more the exception, imo...presented much nicer than a typical 2.0)

30 in 1.0 is likely $750-$1000ish

31 in 1.0 is likely 7-8K

32 in 1.0 is likely 750 or so

33 in 1.0 is likely 3-4K or so

34 in 1.0 is likely 400 or so

35 in 1.0 is likely 4-5K

36 in 1.0 is likely 1500 -2000

37 in 1.0 is likely 1500 -1700

naturally, tough to approximate as there are just not that many 1.0's out there, and they don't change hands frequently enough to really form trends...

So if in your opinion (in 1.0 at least), the hierarchy in terms of FMV goes as follows...

29/31

What do you expect that list to look like in 10 years?

I wouldn't anticipate it changing too much if at all, over the next 10 years

The top SEC teams this year in order as follows:

1) Auburn

2) South Carolina

3) Alabama

4) Arkansas

5) LSU

SEC Championship will be Auburn vs. South Carolina or Alabama vs. South Carolina

I disagree...

my top 5 is

1)alabama (yeah, I know, SC beat them, but I think we all felt that was coming)

2)south carolina (will lose to Fl at home)

3)florida (unless we lose another one before SC lol )

4)Auburn (will lose to Ala)

5)LSU (will lose to Ala and one other)

SEC for third year in a Row is Florida vs Alabama

Florida lost 31-6 to Alabama and South Carolina just beat Alabama by 2 TD's. Auburn ran over South Carolina in the second half.

very true...by that logic, FL destroyed a KY team that barely lost to Auburn...we could say that lsu barely beat a really bad tenn team...we could say that auburn barely beat a really avg kentucky team (see Fl reference)...we could say that SC struggled with a bad GA team... 1 game doesn't make a season...

head to head, Ala beat Fl...that is why I have them above Fl...

SC did beat Ala, but I don't believe that SC is the better team, given their loss to Auburn, and Auburn's and LSU's unconvincing wins... etc, etc...

my top 5 list is just as valid (and of course biased) as anyone's at this point in the season (thumbs u

Florida might of actually been a national title contender this year if Cam Newton was running the spread.

he certainly is turning some heads, isn't he...

he is the best player in the sec and the best player in the country.

i still have sc playing auburn for the sec title. sc should have beat kentucky but like when they plaid auburn they sat back and quit playing because they were up at half time.

The top SEC teams this year in order as follows:

1) Auburn

2) South Carolina

3) Alabama

4) Arkansas

5) LSU

SEC Championship will be Auburn vs. South Carolina or Alabama vs. South Carolina

in either scenario for the SEC championship, SC is going to have some problems.

and by problems, I mean losing.