• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator,

What is the greatest Barks book?

ah, to try to narrow to one "single" greatest is nary an impossible task, as each Barks fan will no doubt have their favorite...

for me, as a scrooge mcduck fan, I have to say FC 178...but your milage will vary (thumbs u

I prefer the FC 291 story but I think US 5 is a close second. I also read the "Second Richest Duck" story many times. If I had a copy of FC 29 I might be singing its praises but I don't. The Egyptian scenes in the book are great. Did Barks visit England and visit the artifacts in the British Museum or go to Africa?

Neither - the Egyptian scenes are cribbed from a National Geographic article. The Another Rainbow Barks Library has comparisons of the panels and the article's photos. But agreed - they are very nicely done. (I'll try to remember to scan them and post a few.)

BB said US 5 the '1916 Quarter' tale- is classic, but the 'Bottle Cap' one is an equally astounding extrapolation of money matters. I also recall a fondness for 'Land of the Pygmy Indians'...

"Land of the Pygmy Indians", who spoke in Iambic pentameter as in "Song of Hiawatha" or a play by shakespeare,

was a unique story as was the "Square Egg" story.

Not my favorites but like em a lot.

I think the story below was translated into Arabic but not really sure since I don't know the language

5432534520_e8dc59643d_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Dear G.A.tor,

There is currently a copy of Batman 4 for sale that is signed by Bob Kane.

The personal inscription on it reads, "To my friend Mark".

My question is; If I were to legally change my first name to Mark, and I purchased this book, would that then qualify me to be Bob Kane's friend?

Thanks in advance for your answer. :grin:

Dear G.A.tor,

My question is; If I were to legally change my first name to Mark, and I purchased this book, would that then qualify me to be Bob Kane's friend?

a better question is who is hotter, mary ann or ginger lol

Dear G.A.tor,

I'm very, very, disappointed.

The answer to your rebuttle has been hashed out decades ago, and the consensus is that Mary Ann is choice. This is no different than the Jan Smithers vs. Loni Anderson debate, which was a very brief one, as the winner of that was incredibly obvious even to someone who was badly near-sighted.

I was really hoping you could have provided to me the proper course of action to take with regards to my enquiry. My hopes were obviously set to too high a standard.

I now leave empty handed and more confused than before. :(

I recently sold one in mid grade for right at $1K...so, I suspect that folks are starting to realize not only how tough the book is in mid to high grade, but that demand does warrant the price tag

Fun thread.

Gator:

10 years I was turned on to GA books by discussions with some GA dealers at shows who asked me why I was into selling SA/BA/CA, which are all as common as dirt and carried by everybody, and not GA for which collecting and dealing represent more of challenge.

How pervasive is this attitude among the old vanguard of dealers? Whether or not this smacks of elitism, I can easily see how holding your umpteenth copy of a SA "key" can cause one to begin to think of most SA and up as widgets; the rarity of higher/highest grade can only mitigate this somewhat. I am not implying these books are not worth collecting, indeed, I have several SA and up books I enjoy, and value, for numerous reasons, including nostalgia which cannot be served by GA books. I do however, when thinking of acquiring most SA and up books as a dealer, tend to have a "these are widgets" mindset.

How do you compartmentalize GA books from SA (other than in separate boxes)?

I have been following more than just comics collectables market over the past few years and one thing I notice is the Marvel silver age keys are not only hot in the comic book field but are some of the hottest collectables in any field! They have quite a following,those silver age Marvel keys have probably outperformed the stock market in the last 10 to 20 years and with Disney in control now I expect the Marvel silver age keys to continue to be a sound investment. Just an opinion so my question Gator to you is what will be the better investment over the next 5 to 10 years? the Marvel Silver age keys or golden age Superman/Batman comics?(leaving Action 1/Superman 1/Detective 27/Batman 1 out of the equation of course)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Fun thread.

Gator:

10 years I was turned on to GA books by discussions with some GA dealers at shows who asked me why I was into selling SA/BA/CA, which are all as common as dirt and carried by everybody, and not GA for which collecting and dealing represent more of challenge.

How pervasive is this attitude among the old vanguard of dealers? Whether or not this smacks of elitism, I can easily see how holding your umpteenth copy of a SA "key" can cause one to begin to think of most SA and up as widgets; the rarity of higher/highest grade can only mitigate this somewhat. I am not implying these books are not worth collecting, indeed, I have several SA and up books I enjoy, and value, for numerous reasons, including nostalgia which cannot be served by GA books. I do however, when thinking of acquiring most SA and up books as a dealer, tend to have a "these are widgets" mindset.

I have been following more than just comics collectables market over the past few years and one thing I notice is the Marvel silver age keys are not only hot in the comic book field but are some of the hottest collectables in any field! They have quite a following,those silver age Marvel keys have probably outperformed the stock market in the last 10 to 20 years and with Disney in control now I expect the Marvel silver age keys to continue to be a sound investment. Just an opinion so my question Gator to you is what will be the better investment over the next 5 to 10 years? the Marvel Silver age keys or golden age Superman/Batman comics?(leaving Action 1/Superman 1/Detective 27/Batman 1 out of the equation of course)

marvel SA keys are very liquid, no doubt...my opinion is that due to the seemingly readily available supply, there would have to be a larger demand increase in order to create a larger price increase (investment potential)... compare that to an action 1, etc, where supply is almost non existant and you only really need a single person to increase demand to increase price...so, the mega GA keys are a better investment to me, in terms of return, but also come with more risk due to the much higher initial price point

Fun thread.

Gator:

marvel SA keys are very liquid, no doubt...my opinion is that due to the seemingly readily available supply, there would have to be a larger demand increase in order to create a larger price increase (investment potential)... compare that to an action 1, etc, where supply is almost non existant and you only really need a single person to increase demand to increase price...so, the mega GA keys are a better investment to me, in terms of return, but also come with more risk due to the much higher initial price point

SA keys above 9.2 are always in high demand.

Fun thread.

Gator:

SA keys in .5 and up are always in demand. I can't tell you how many dozens and dozens of each of them I've sold over the years. Demand never seems to slow down. I see many twenty-something collectors snagging them too, so the future still looks very bright.

Mega GA keys are not as good an investment in my view. That's where I disagree with the Gator.

His perspective may be skewed though as he has always had the capital to lay out to test the market. I just don't think there are enough players in the five figure and up market to sustain it, and he is rightly indicates supply is also a problem for these items.

More big GA keys have done down in value than up over the past twenty years. Take the primo ones mentioned above out of the equation and you'll see what I mean.

Dear G.A.tor,

I'm very, very, disappointed.

The answer to your rebuttle has been hashed out decades ago, and the consensus is that Mary Ann is choice. This is no different than the Jan Smithers vs. Loni Anderson debate, which was a very brief one, as the winner of that was incredibly obvious even to someone who was badly near-sighted.

I was really hoping you could have provided to me the proper course of action to take with regards to my enquiry. My hopes were obviously set to too high a standard.

I now leave empty handed and more confused than before. :(

As well as the Wilma Flintstone Vs Betty Rubble debate; Betty is obviously hotter.

Fun thread.

Gator:

Somehow my question has morphed into whether SA is hot and you can make money off of it. Outside of the prospect of a SA key possibly making you money, how excited can a typical dealer be about possessing one? What is your emotion when offered a #1 of any of the mainstream marvels, as opposed to your reaction if offered a Suspense 3, pre-Robin Tec, or even a Startling 49?

Fun thread.

Gator:

Somehow my question has morphed into whether SA is hot and you can make money off of it. Outside of the prospect of a SA key possibly making you money, how excited can a typical dealer be about possessing one? What is your emotion when offered a #1 of any of the mainstream marvels, as opposed to your reaction if offered a Suspense 3, pre-Robin Tec, or even a Startling 49?

Equally exhilarating for me. They've never lost their appeal.

Fun thread.

Gator:

SA keys in .5 and up are always in demand. I can't tell you how many dozens and dozens of each of them I've sold over the years. Demand never seems to slow down. I see many twenty-something collectors snagging them too, so the future still looks very bright.

Mega GA keys are not as good an investment in my view. That's where I disagree with the Gator.

His perspective may be skewed though as he has always had the capital to lay out to test the market. I just don't think there are enough players in the five figure and up market to sustain it, and he is rightly indicates supply is also a problem for these items.

More big GA keys have done down in value than up over the past twenty years. Take the primo ones mentioned above out of the equation and you'll see what I mean.

I agree, other than early superman action covers, superman 1, pre robin tecs, batman 1 and maybe a few superman war covers, you don't have much left that is going to be in great demand. The only GA run that is very popular and probably always will be is Captain America. On the other hand there is a lot more interest and upside to SA Marvel keys and even villian keys. The Joker is probably the only sought after GA villian.

Fun thread.

Gator:

Dealer's don't normally get excited like the mainstream buyer.