• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hello, Gator --

What's the market like for Kurtzman-era Mads these days?

Has the never-ending flow of reprints dulled demand for this great title?

Have the Gaines file copies reduced all other copies (for the sake of investment purposes) to mere toilet paper?

What would be considered an "investment" grade for Mad comics at this moment in time?

Thanks!

Edited by MisterX

My advice is to buy Gaines for entertainment purposes only. Prices have been steadily declining for years and no reason for that Trend to change

Ample reprint supply has surely contributed to demand/price decline

Dear Gator,

If Wambi was a Jungle Boy, why did he wear a turban all the time? Is it possible that he wasn't a boy at all?

Wambi16.jpg

shhh that is classified even to this day. To speak of openly invites that which you wish not experience !

Gator --

What do you think is the FMV of a Conan Mego figure --

MISB/MIB

MOC

MLC

Thanks!

If all original a loose fig sells for $75-150 depending on condition...typical mib runs $200-500 and depending on whether a 75 or 79 card can be $500-1000+ carded

Gator --

MISB/MIB

MOC

MLC

Thanks!

If all original a loose fig sells for $75-150 depending on condition...typical mib runs $200-500 and depending on whether a 75 or 79 card can be $500-1000+ carded

Thanks, Gator!

Is there a "modern" reproduction of this figure, like with some of the other Megos?

g.a.tor, how would you best describe alabama's defense?
NFL caliber across the boards...best D I have seen in a while (yes, better than LSU's, but I will have more perspective on that in a few days)

Gator --

MISB/MIB

MOC

MLC

Thanks!

Thanks, Gator!

Is there a "modern" reproduction of this figure, like with some of the other Megos?

there is currently no "retro" conan figure (or any Marvel, really), outside of the Marvel line Famous Covers from 10 years ago

G.A.tor,

I have a page count question for you regarding Captain America Comics #37. According to the Grand Comics Database, there should be 60 pages total. I looked at my copy and noticed that there were 16 pages + front cover up to the centerfold and 12 pages + back cover from the centerfold ( for a total of (16+1+12+1)*2 = 60 pages). So four of the pages after the centerfold were cut. Is this common for Captain America Golden Age?

Thanks!

G.A.tor,

I have a page count question for you regarding Captain America Comics #37. According to the Grand Comics Database, there should be 60 pages total. I looked at my copy and noticed that there were 16 pages + front cover up to the centerfold and 12 pages + back cover from the centerfold ( for a total of (16+1+12+1)*2 = 60 pages). So four of the pages after the centerfold were cut. Is this common for Captain America Golden Age?

Thanks!

many golden age books were produced in the 16/12 or 14/12 ratio... so as long as you have the 28 total wraps (56 pages) and fc and bc, you have all 60 (thumbs u

Dear Gator,

I'm confused (only on this subject; ...yes, that's a preemptive caveat to the obvious retort).

Is football...

this...

Ladainian_Tomlinson-3.jpg

this...

607070106171509.jpg

or this (the original sport)...

Rugby.jpg

There seems to be no consensus. (shrug)

I await your sage response! :popcorn:

Dear Dr. GAtor:

Who do the gators start at QB saturday? and who finishes?

Sincerely,

Curious in BR

jeff driskell will start and likely finish barring injury...if injured, then I expect tyler murphy then brisset (thumbs u

Dearest Gator,

as a new HG/CGC collector can you help me get a handle on the key golden age sci-fi publishers? I've already dipped into Planet Comics, but there must be more goodness, or have I started at the mountain top?

I join you in the commiseration from this past weekend, and the worries about who the orange and blue will be carting out at QB this weekend...

football is an american sport, founded and invented in the usa...

association football (or commonly known as soccer) originated in england in the mid 1800's

finally, rugby football, originated in Rugby UK around the mid 1750's, but is rarely refered to as "football" but more commonly "rugby"

Dear Gator,

I'm confused (only on this subject; ...yes, that's a preemptive caveat to the obvious retort).

Is football...

this...

this...

607070106171509.jpg

Rugby.jpg

association football (or commonly known as soccer) originated in england in the mid 1800's

finally, rugby football, originated in Rugby UK around the mid 1750's, but is rarely refered to as "football" but more commonly "rugby"

Dear Gator,

Is football...

this...

this...

607070106171509.jpg

Rugby.jpg

(worship) Thank you, oh venerable Gator, you didn't fumble the ball. :applause:

So, given the established history, why isn't football called American Rugby, since rugby football is the sport that the American version of football most closely resembles and from whence it originated? hm

:popcorn::popcorn:

Dear Gator,

Is football...

this...

this...

607070106171509.jpg

Rugby.jpg

(worship) Thank you, oh venerable Gator, you didn't fumble the ball. :applause:

So, given the established history, why isn't football called American Rugby, since rugby football is the sport that the American version of football most closely resembles and from whence it originated? hm

:popcorn::popcorn:

I would attribute it to arrogance (thumbs u