• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Made 19 FTs in a row, pretty good considering I ain't picked a roundball up in months. Took me a few shots to warm up though.

My son is my witness. :grin:

cool. I usually stop about there these days

Wow. We resurrected this thread lol

Will give the ? Some thought

First three are easy:

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

I see that Overstreet lists the 4th book as All-American #16, but I think that book has faded in terms of collector interest. Do you agree, Gator? (I'd go with Batman 1, Captain America 1, and Marvel 1 as the next 3, in that order.)

First three are easy:

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

I see that Overstreet lists the 4th book as All-American #16, but I think that book has faded in terms of collector interest. Do you agree, Gator? (I'd go with Batman 1, Captain America 1, and Marvel 1 as the next 3, in that order.)

Now I have NOOOO business discussing these books in particular as I have never even held one of them so my opinion and a buck probably wouldn't afford you a cup of coffee in most places lol but I thought I could share some interesting info on recent sales from over on GPA...They all agree with what Jimbo_707 was saying...examples

Batman #1 - had 2 sales I saw in 2012 both CGC 2.0. Dec 2012 - PQ:OW $25,055 and Aug 2012 - PQ:Cr-OW $30,155

Captain America #1 - CGC 2.0 June 2012 PQ: OW-White but the cover was re-attatched w/ 3 pieces of tape and it had tape on 3 of the center wraps and still sold for a whopping $24,100

Marvel Comics #1 - couldn't find a 2012 sale but the last recorded GPA CGC 2.0 was in 2008 (No cert # so unknown PQ to me) but that sold in Dec 2008 for $21,500

All-American Comics #16 - Now there were no 2.0 sales but a CGC 3.0 sold in July 2012 PQ - slightly brittle for only $17,925. I know the PQ probably affected the sale but IMO the 1 point bump from a 2.0 to a 3.0 should have easily made up the difference.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that Jimbo is a GENIUS :applause:Continue on men...I will watch from the sidelines as the rest of this plays out as I am interested as well to hear who rounds out this list!!!! :popcorn:

Dear Gator,

What are the Top-20 GA books today value-wise, if they were all CGC graded, Universal 2.0?

For discussion's sake, let's say they all present equally with cream to off-while pages.

Is the grade important? Would the ordering change if we were considering books graded, say, 5.0 or 8.0? hm

Dear Gator,

What are the Top-20 GA books today value-wise, if they were all CGC graded, Universal 2.0?

For discussion's sake, let's say they all present equally with cream to off-while pages.

Is the grade important? Would the ordering change if we were considering books graded, say, 5.0 or 8.0? hm

It certainly might.

Some books are much tougher to find in mid to high grade.

I'm looking to get an idea of value for lower grades.

Some books become more valuable and more desirable due to the "rarity" of availability in certain grades. Which is understandable but doesn't always reflect the desirability for "content" and the books itself.

Think of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Extremely desirable in all grades but once you start to get into 8.0 and higher, you see a large increase in value per half-grade points. To me, that's more a matter of desiring the rarity of "grade" as opposed to treasuring the book itself.

So when we're talking about entry-level copies and low-grade copies, we get (IMO) a better idea of desirability for the actual books themselves. (thumbs u

First three are easy:

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

Now I have NOOOO business discussing these books in particular as I have never even held one of them so my opinion and a buck probably wouldn't afford you a cup of coffee in most places lol but I thought I could share some interesting info on recent sales from over on GPA...They all agree with what Jimbo_707 was saying...examples

Batman #1 - had 2 sales I saw in 2012 both CGC 2.0. Dec 2012 - PQ:OW $25,055 and Aug 2012 - PQ:Cr-OW $30,155

Captain America #1 - CGC 2.0 June 2012 PQ: OW-White but the cover was re-attatched w/ 3 pieces of tape and it had tape on 3 of the center wraps and still sold for a whopping $24,100

Marvel Comics #1 - couldn't find a 2012 sale but the last recorded GPA CGC 2.0 was in 2008 (No cert # so unknown PQ to me) but that sold in Dec 2008 for $21,500

All-American Comics #16 - Now there were no 2.0 sales but a CGC 3.0 sold in July 2012 PQ - slightly brittle for only $17,925. I know the PQ probably affected the sale but IMO the 1 point bump from a 2.0 to a 3.0 should have easily made up the difference.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that Jimbo is a GENIUS :applause:Continue on men...I will watch from the sidelines as the rest of this plays out as I am interested as well to hear who rounds out this list!!!! :popcorn:

A CGC Universal copy of All-American Comics #16 in 1.0 with BRITTLE pages sold for $11,250 on Comic Link, date listed was 2/15/13.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3868%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=961785

So the 3.0 with only slightly brittle pages that sold for $17,925 back last July was more than a bargain.

The recent sale of a 1.0 with completely brittle pages for $11,250 illustrates that. (thumbs u

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Dear Gator,

It certainly might.

Some books are much tougher to find in mid to high grade.

I'm looking to get an idea of value for lower grades.

Some books become more valuable and more desirable due to the "rarity" of availability in certain grades. Which is understandable but doesn't always reflect the desirability for "content" and the books itself.

Think of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Extremely desirable in all grades but once you start to get into 8.0 and higher, you see a large increase in value per half-grade points. To me, that's more a matter of desiring the rarity of "grade" as opposed to treasuring the book itself.

So when we're talking about entry-level copies and low-grade copies, we get (IMO) a better idea of desirability for the actual books themselves. (thumbs u

Interesting, although the ordering of the books discussed so far probably wouldn't change at higher grades. With AF 15, I think it runs ahead of the SA pack at every grade, although I agree that once you get north of 8.0 the size of the gap widens.

Here's Ricks completed list...all in one listing :) notice 60% of the list has batman or supe in it :)

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

I will guess ricks back end 11-20 will include (not in value order):

-action 10

-action 13

-Tec 29

-Tec 33

-Tec 35

-Archie 1

-all star 8

-more fun 52

-adventure 40

-marvel mystery 9

Here's Ricks completed list...all in one listing :)

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

:applause:

May seem strange to suggest it, but I have a suspicion that these days an Archie 1 would go for more than an AA 16. hm
quite possible. A 1.5 Archie 1 just sold on HA for $10k+. Are low grade AA16s hitting $7k+ a point these days?

May seem strange to suggest it, but I have a suspicion that these days an Archie 1 would go for more than an AA 16. hm
quite possible. A 1.5 Archie 1 just sold on HA for $10k+. Are low grade AA16s hitting $7k+ a point these days?

A CGC Universal 1.0 with BRITTLE pages recently sold for $11,250:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3868%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=961785

There are only 19 Universal CGC copies in existence. A 1.5 with better than brittle PQ should fetch quite a bit more than $11,250.

A qualified, unrestored Batman #1 in 1.8 with OFF-WHITE pages didn't sell for as much as the All-American #16 in 1.0 with BRITTLE pages.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3852%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=957645

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Here's Ricks completed list...all in one listing :) notice 60% of the list has batman or supe in it :)

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

-action 10

-action 13

-Tec 29

-Tec 33

-Tec 35

-Archie 1

-all star 8

-more fun 52

-adventure 40

-marvel mystery 9

I'm not so sure about ranking Marvel #1 and All-American #16 that low.

Are there any recent sales for Marvel #1 in CGC Universal low-grade? (shrug)

But as I mentioned in a prior post, compare the recent sales of Batman #1 (ranked #4) to All-American #16 (ranked #10).

A CGC qualified, unrestored Batman #1 in 1.8 with OFF-WHITE PAGES sold for $10,050:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3852%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=957645

A CGC universal, unrestored All-American #16 in 1.0 with BRITTLE PAGES sold for $11,250:

My list would be (off the top of my head), in CGC Universal 2.0 cream to off-white pages:

1) Action Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

4) All-American Comics #16

5) Batman #1

6) Marvel Comics #1

7) Action Comics #7

8) Captain America Comics #1

9) Detective Comics #31

10) Detective Comics #29

**Just listing superhero books here. I'm not familiar enough with Archie.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

-action 10

-action 13

-Tec 29

-Tec 33

-Tec 35

-Archie 1

-all star 8

-more fun 52

-adventure 40

-marvel mystery 9

Mmc9 not even close. Adv 40 probably not either. As8 is cool but a 2.0 would barely hit 5k

Replace with whiz 2 (1) , detective 1,action 2 (all would hit 10k in 2.0)